Jump to content Jump to content

Against the rules?

So, I believed that the rules regarding penalties and safety cars were that you cannot take a penalty whilst the safety car is out. However, this video shows Vettel entering the pit after a contact with Stroll ( 6 cars involved and safety car out ) and then the pit crew waits for 5 seconds before changing the wheels and wing. 5 seconds is the penalty the incident log says he got for the contact with Stroll, but shouldn’t he have been forced to wait before taking the penalty?

I believe the 5 second penalty is a flexible penalty and can be taken at anytime, if not taken then will be added to end of race time. Stop go penalties and drive through penalties are different and cannot be served under the safety car. 

• Thanks 1

The 5 second penalty cannot be taken while safety car is out but seems codemasters play fast with the rules just like in Singapore I had a car breakdown where only option for marshals was to enter the track to recover the car but only had yellow flags even though speed at that point was about 150 mph plus where in real life that would be safety car.

• Thanks 1
On 3/23/2021 at 2:04 PM, UP100 said:

It had to be served even during SC/VSC in the 2020 season at least

Thank you very much. I didn’t realise they had changed the rules like this for the 2020 season. In that case, what Vettel did in my video is OK.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, ChristianAnsell said:

The 5 second penalty cannot be taken while safety car is out but seems codemasters play fast with the rules just like in Singapore I had a car breakdown where only option for marshals was to enter the track to recover the car but only had yellow flags even though speed at that point was about 150 mph plus where in real life that would be safety car.

Thanks for the input. I believed this was the case too but another poster has shown the rules that say it can be taken even during a SC. Seems like I need to brush up on my knowledge of the rules if they are correct.

59 minutes ago, Y2Kev said:

So, now that I have the answer to this, am I able to close the post?

I can lock it if you want and assign the answer as 'recommended' 🙂 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
On 3/25/2021 at 4:27 PM, UP100 said:

I can lock it if you want and assign the answer as 'recommended' 🙂 

Please, your answer explains it very well. Who’s the person that’s giving your answers the “thumbs down” dislike? Seems stupid to be doing that when your answer explains the rules surrounding this incident so well.

• UP100 locked this topic
2 hours ago, Y2Kev said:

Please, your answer explains it very well. Who’s the person that’s giving your answers the “thumbs down” dislike? Seems stupid to be doing that when your answer explains the rules surrounding this incident so well.

Alright, thread locked.

He seems to be disagreeing with every single recent post I've made it seems. No need to worry about it though 🙂 

• Disagree 1