Jump to content Jump to content

Stupid aggressive AI is the only thing that really annoys me in this game


Recommended Posts

2020 game is all-round probably the best of the lot I would say (only missed one since first version in 2010).

 

However, stupidly aggressive AI really spoils it at times.

 

I only play off-line, so career/my team and I use a pad.  Amount of times faster AI just smashes you off the track is totally unrealistic. 

 

Practice - doesn't matter, they will punt you out the way, even on an out-lap. 

 

Quali the same and then the race itself can be a nightmare.  If they are faster, then they are coming through wherever they want and screw any realism!!

 

I love strong AI in terms of race pace and genuine overtakes, but fed up with being smashed off the track because they decide to try and pass in the most ridiculous and unrealistic places constantly.

  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree, the AI does not drive these cars like you would be forced to drive them in reality (avoid contact by all means, other than wheel bumping perhaps), but they rather seem eager to have contact between cars whereever possible. It seems Codies have copied these AI routines from some old Nascar title or sumsuch 🙂Running into your back if you only brake a tad early or when your tires are done, not moving aside when being lapped or on an outlap in practice, throwing their spoiler into the back of your car... hell it seems to me, if you choose the "realistic" damage model, this counts for the player only, and AI seem unaffected - otherwise they would have to pit all the time. What is also strange, is their "overdone" defense of the outside line in corners, while they tend to break earlier and steer a lot more shyly while they have the inside line. Also a Nascar / Indy "feature". That seems swapped to me, to say the least, between AI defense of the outside and inside corner lines. Concerning that, U would love to get a sneak peek of the coding of the game, maybe the solution for this was a simple and fast copy paste (rhyme not intended).

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarryB said:

By only playing offline you’re missing out so much. Nothing beats that thrill at the start of a race when racing 19 other humans.

Multiplayer? The original poster said he DIDN'T like being smashed off the track. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tommyboyo said:

2020 game is all-round probably the best of the lot I would say (only missed one since first version in 2010).

 

However, stupidly aggressive AI really spoils it at times.

 

I only play off-line, so career/my team and I use a pad.  Amount of times faster AI just smashes you off the track is totally unrealistic. 

 

Practice - doesn't matter, they will punt you out the way, even on an out-lap. 

 

Quali the same and then the race itself can be a nightmare.  If they are faster, then they are coming through wherever they want and screw any realism!!

 

I love strong AI in terms of race pace and genuine overtakes, but fed up with being smashed off the track because they decide to try and pass in the most ridiculous and unrealistic places constantly.

Sorry mate but i don t agree with you.. i am enjoying so much this game this year and i think that is the best Codemasters F1 game ever made.. REPEAT Codemasters F1 game.. if you set a Higger level of AI Difficulty too huge ( unrecommended ) for your driving ability you Will souffer with an agressive behauviour but if you are able to set an Realistic AI Difficulty level for you you Will see and enjoying the game so much and Will have so a lot of Fun.. its all about setting the right AI Difficulty level

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

completely agree with author of this post! AI in this game is over-aggressive! it disprespects player's racing line and just pushed me out of the track when I try defend my position. 

5 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

its all about setting the right AI Difficulty level

nonsense! it is not about difficulty settings, it's all about bad AI programming code. of course if you set AI difficulty in such way that it is slower than you it will be okay but if I want to have close racing I found AI is ridiculous. you can set realsistic AI difficulty but what about if you drive slow car and try to defend your position from faster car??? it just smashes player's car out of the track and has zero respect to player's racing line... so it's not about difficlty settings. 

It's shame that even old F1 2010 game had better and more intelligent and respectful AI than modern F1 games

  • Disagree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AlexDeAngelis said:

nonsense! it is not about difficulty settings, it's all about bad AI programming code. of course if you set AI difficulty in such way that it is slower than you it will be okay but if I want to have close racing I found AI is ridiculous. you can set realsistic AI difficulty but what about if you drive slow car and try to defend your position from faster car??? it just smashes player's car out of the track and has zero respect to player's racing line... so it's not about difficlty settings. 

It's shame that even old F1 2010 game had better and more intelligent and respectful AI than modern F1 games

If it is so obvious share some videos from your experience.

I cannot agree there,they are aggressive yes,but they do not push you from the track. And when it happens once in a season then you met Vettel most probably 😁

I find AI is aggressive,but not unfair. They use their chance when we screw it up as you would do it when the AI is in front of you.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, svensenk86 said:

I cannot agree there,they are aggressive yes,but they do not push you from the track


Are you playing a different game? AI is consistently nudging and bumping the back of your car, in any situation where they can break later or corner faster (tyre wear, different tyre type, technical problems, rain etc.) than you.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Schneehase said:


Are you playing a different game? AI is consistently nudging and bumping the back of your car, in any situation where they can break later or corner faster (tyre wear, different tyre type, technical problems, rain etc.) than you.

Make a video and show some examples when it is happening so often.

Maybe your racestyle does not fit to your AI level? So no,this time I cannot agree,they are aggressive yes,but they do not push you off track as a standard. Sure it can happen once a season,but it is not a regular thing.

Further in wet races it happens in real as well that they slide into each other,or see Vettel the recent years,min 1 race per season he is taking someone off track 😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator

I haven't had any other consistent problem with the AI aside from the one, in which the AI doesn't give you space if you weren't fully alongside them before they started to turn in. It's a bit of a poor decision, especially as the AI will just drive you off the track in long corners if you weren't side by side with it at the start of it.

Being on the outside on T4 in Spain comes to mind. I think that's the one I've seen most problems with this, as the AI will just push you off as they don't even think you exist

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I run myteam at around 80/82 which is fine for me mostly and don't seem to have too many issues, but a few of us have a multiplayer league and it's set a bit lower as we're not all at exactly the same level, and you'd swear the level is ai intelligence rather than difficulty! Countless times we get driven into because it seems the ai cars simply will not budge off their predetermined race line, no matter what. Irl a driver would give up the line / position to avoid contact, whereas the ai just seem to keep going regardless. Its caused many a rage quit. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BarryB said:

By only playing offline you’re missing out so much. Nothing beats that thrill at the start of a race when racing 19 other humans.

Are you sure they're human, I'm not convinced

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I have this version of the game is the al moving under braking, I can brake and try and take the inside line and suddenly the al has gone from racing line on the braking point to be in front of me which in real life is reckless and highly dangerous as gives the other driver( eg me) no chance to react at all to avoid a crash. May I not that this moving under braking is banned in f1 for few years now but lately codemasters seem to think it is ok to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For what i had seen to me i think that are all about the AI Difficulty level you put.. ir you put a excessive amount of Difficulty based in your driving style you Will souffer much more with it.. if you set a recommended Difficulty level of AI you Will have very Realistic behauviours and a lot more enjoyment in the game.. i am a professional Racing driver and i only put 95% and suites perfectly for me.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Like it or not, F1 has long been about track position, as we saw once again at the weekend.

If you qualify out of position, or get stuck behind slower cars through bad strategy/bad luck at the likes of Singapore, Hungary, Monaco etc... then you are screwed.

But with the AI in this game, that does not seem to matter.

The amount of times I have wrung the neck to out qualify my car's true pace, only to fall victim of the AI just driving into me in the race, as they are in a technically faster car.

Monaco for example, there should not be an overtake on the track really.  If you do a stonking quali lap, then you should have guaranteed yourself a nice finish given no bad luck and yet I have been rammed at every corner of the track I reckon!!

Anyway, I still enjoy the game overall, but this kinda takes away from the satisfaction of a lot of the battles in off-line for me.

Edited by tommyboyo
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

For what i had seen to me i think that are all about the AI Difficulty level you put.. ir you put a excessive amount of Difficulty based in your driving style you Will souffer much more with it.. if you set a recommended Difficulty level of AI you Will have very Realistic behauviours and a lot more enjoyment in the game.. i am a professional Racing driver and i only put 95% and suites perfectly for me.. 

I don't really understand how being smashed off the track during a slow down lap in practice should have anything to do with the difficulty setting?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a great example of this...

FP3 in Mexico.

I am doing the tyre wear program on old mediums.  Doing fine nicely inside the required time with high green on the wear.

Danny Ric pops out in the Renault on a set of softs.

He is on an out lap, but driving like it's the last lap of the GP and the championship is on the line, all over the back of my car and then wipes me out going into the stadium section trying to overtake in an impossible position.

I mean ***.  Why, just why!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, tommyboyo said:

I don't really understand how being smashed off the track during a slow down lap in practice should have anything to do with the difficulty setting?

If you were on a slowdown lap in practice then the AI car would have been on the AI line when it hit you I would have thought , perhaps you need to get off the line when you are not on a hot lap etc to avoid being hit by AI drivers. The Higher the AI setting the faster they go and the more aggressive they become when challengingy you, taking this into account I think if you want to stop this happening as much as it is that it might be worth trying a much lower AI setting as an experiment to see if you can come up with a compromise , The AI is not going to behave like a human driver in the game no matter how much you want it to.

If I race at AI 110 I get rammed endlessly If I race at AI 50  I have a race that the majority of the time seems like I am racing against very good human drivers , OK the odd time they start shoving but its rare . It might just be worth doing some experimenting If you want to improve the situation. I have plenty of 100% distance races at medium AI levels and never get rammed by the AI the whole race and on the contrary they do everything they can to avoid me although now and again there is wheel banging while vying  for position. Lowering your level will not make you less of a man and  it could just make your racing  much more enjoyable

Edited by Exasperated
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

If you were on a slowdown lap in practice then the AI car would have been on the AI line when it hit you I would have thought , perhaps you need to get off the line when you are not on a hot lap etc to avoid being hit by AI drivers. The Higher the AI setting the faster they go and the more aggressive they become when challengingy you, taking this into account I think if you want to stop this happening as much as it is that it might be worth trying a much lower AI setting as an experiment to see if you can come up with a compromise , The AI is not going to behave like a human driver in the game no matter how much you want it to.

If I race at AI 110 I get rammed endlessly If I race at AI 50  I have a race that the majority of the time seems like I am racing against very good human drivers , OK the odd time they start shoving but its rare . It might just be worth doing some experimenting If you want to improve the situation. I have plenty of 100% distance races at medium AI levels and never get rammed by the AI the whole race and on the contrary they do everything they can to avoid me although now and again there is wheel banging while vying  for position. Lowering your level will not make you less of a man and  it could just make your racing  much more enjoyable

Well I race on 70 difficulty with a pad and no assists expect gears and have no illusions that I am any good.  In fact, I know I am not!!!

But at that level, I can have a good race with similar lap times to drivers in the teams around me and mostly fun races.  That is about my level for realism in 'my team', whereby I don't win races or get podiums in my first season (although I already had a pole and a couple of points finishes).

Dropping the AI level further does not seem to make any sense.  They will just be slower and I will start finishing in unrealistic positions.

Edited by tommyboyo
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tommyboyo said:

Well I race on 70 difficulty with a pad and no assists expect gears and have no illusions that I am any good.  In fact, I know I am not!!!

But at that level, I can have a good race with similar lap times to drivers in the teams around me and mostly fun races.  That is about my level for realism in 'my team', whereby I don't win races or get podiums in my first season (although I already had a pole and a couple of points finishes).

Dropping the AI level further does not seem to make any sense.  They will just be slower and I will start finishing in unrealistic positions.

OK then all I can suggest is that you need to drive you car away from the AI driving line which is the same as the track assist line , for example when you get through a corner then go to the right side of the track that the other cars are not using so that you are out of their way and in corners stay off their line to avoid them there is not much else you can do, Driving on a wheel will make it easier to deal with the AI I reckon more precision possible. Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

OK then all I can suggest is that you need to drive you car away from the AI driving line which is the same as the track assist line , for example when you get through a corner then go to the right side of the track that the other cars are not using so that you are out of their way and in corners stay off their line to avoid them there is not much else you can do, Driving on a wheel will make it easier to deal with the AI I reckon more precision possible. Good luck.

Yeah bud, I just about know what the racing line is, only being playing for 10 years and watching F1 for 30!!  😉

But half the time, when you are off the racing line and slow down, the AI car will suddenly do exactly the same and not pass you, or a yellow flag comes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The "best" part about this is, when you try to go slow in practice and move away from the racing line, the AI will get confused and break and not pass you lol, instead running slow on their line, and you will have to do some weird acceleration / breaking close to standing still nonsense until they finally get it and drive along. I cant fathom that this happens only in my games, it must happen in the fanboys playthroughs too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommyboyo said:

Yeah bud, I just about know what the racing line is, only being playing for 10 years and watching F1 for 30!!  😉

But half the time, when you are off the racing line and slow down, the AI car will suddenly do exactly the same and not pass you, or a yellow flag comes out.

Didn't mean too knock your driving knowledge  I just have no idea what you know about things. We are having a different experience with this in the same game and this is why there are so many differing opinions about this because settings of everything have an effect on what's happening.

In F1 2016 I had a problem where It was impossible to race because before I had finished Half of a first lap I got rammed off the track , all my FFB settings were at 100 and the feeling at the wheel was strong , I turned down the FFB settings While experimenting and with lower FFB settings I found that I could race normally without being rammed off the track , Go figure that , BTW if I turn them up again I get rammed again it wasn't some coincidence. 

Any way all I know is that the AI in the game is not going to be different so your stuck really with what you have if you don't change some settings to try and make it better. Hope you can sort something to improve things ,Perhaps the next game may have AI with better awareness and reaction times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

The "best" part about this is, when you try to go slow in practice and move away from the racing line, the AI will get confused and break and not pass you lol, instead running slow on their line, and you will have to do some weird acceleration / breaking close to standing still nonsense until they finally get it and drive along. I cant fathom that this happens only in my games, it must happen in the fanboys playthroughs too.

Yes I get that happening as well , from my perspective I just accept when that happens that theres not a lot I can do about it , just work around it. There are a lot of things in the game that are not right but what can you do apart from work around it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

The "best" part about this is, when you try to go slow in practice and move away from the racing line, the AI will get confused and break and not pass you lol, instead running slow on their line, and you will have to do some weird acceleration / breaking close to standing still nonsense until they finally get it and drive along. I cant fathom that this happens only in my games, it must happen in the fanboys playthroughs too.

I've had this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...