Jump to content Jump to content

Audio settings - Radio Output Device does not recognise all devices

This is also a bug in F1 2019...

1.       A description of the issue. 
In Audio Settings -> Radio Output Device, it only enumerates physical devices (speaker outputs on HDMI/DisplayPort monitors, motherboard sound card, USB-connected FiiO DAC) and only shows those plus the "Main Output Device" option, which is configured in Windows as the main VoiceMeeter device.

As it happens, I route all my audio through VoiceMeeter, using its Main, Aux and VAIO3 inputs to accomplish different submixes based on listening, streaming and recording requirements. F1 2020 does not recognise or display any VoiceMeeter devices in Audio Settings, despite my Main Output Device actually being VoiceMeeter.

Another symptom is that any engineer radio or multiplayer voice comms are not audible, the game instead chooses to randomly output them through my second monitor's speakers instead of correctly through the Main Output Device, despite "default" device being selected in audio settings. When I change devices in the Audio Settings preferences screen, it does play the preview audio through every device as expected, but they are not heard in-game.

Other virtual audio devices like Steam Streaming Speakers are detected and offered as an option, just not VoiceMeeter.

The audio device selection is also painfully slow. You have to arrowkey through each option and wait for each one to finish playing a test audio clip, meaning it takes ages if you want to test multiple devices. A dropdown list or a separate buttonpress or menu item to play a test audio clip after selecting an audio device would be much better design.

2.       What version of the game you are using: 1.17, same issue with 1.16 and all prior patches of F1 2019.
3.       Game-mode? Any.
4.       Are you able to recreate the issue? Every time.
5.       How often do you see this problem? Always.
6.       Have you tried any troubleshooting? Reselecting main audio device, trying to explicitly route application sound in Windows 10's App Volume Device Preferences (normally I run defaults) and unplugging all other audio devices except my main hardware device which is fed with VoiceMeeter's output.

7.       Any accessories you are using: G27, but irrelevant I think.
8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? Not very useful, and not the easiest to do given it involves audio device switching. 

DXDiag attached.

DxDiag-synergist-20210329.txt

Posted (edited)

VoiceMeeter is DirectX compatible, dxdiag explicitly includes it as a sound device. NB that I mentioned the Steam Streaming Speakers, which is also a virtual audio device, is enumerated by the game. I feel this should be categorised as a bug, not a feature request.

F1 2019 and 2020 are the only games I've found recently which aren't able to enumerate the VoiceMeeter devices in the audio settings. Every other game with a voice comms feature is able to select them.

Edited by Synergist