F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Fanatec F1 how many buttons available for Ps4/Ps5?

Hi there,

anyone using the F1 Fanatec basic wheel? How many customizable buttons for Ps4/Ps5?

6FADDE19-261B-4C4E-9692-7519FE56F39B.thumb.jpeg.da55219741e9595fbb204abb0f6e89b7.jpeg

I see 8 buttons for sure (+3 Ps/Options/Share) but they are not so many for F1 2020, I’m wondering if the circled ones can be used too at least for surfing the MFD... How many usable buttons in total?

Thank you in advance :classic_smile:

Kind regards,

Nuv

Posted (edited)

Hi Nuv,

I have the Clubsport Formula v2 connected up to a PS4.

I assume we’re talking about using the wheel on F1 2020, so the below is in relation to that.

All the marked buttons in the picture attached correspond to the standard inputs on the PS4 as labelled in the picture, and all of these are mappable inputs on F1 2020 on PS4. In addition, the 2 thumbwheels, 2 rocker switches and 2 rotary switches also work as mappable inputs. The right joystick also works (as up/down/left/right, so the “d-pad” - I have it mapped that way). The left joystick does not work at all. I imagine it would be a similar thing on the PS4 CSL Elite F1 wheel.

Having a look here, (https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/26/49/50/CSL-E-F1-SET-QG-EU-AU-EN_WebyG4TKn6Heu24O.pdf and here, https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/6c/c1/f6/CSL-E-F1-SET-Manual-US-EN_Web_06_MO.pdf), I think the “standard” PS4 buttons are the same for these two wheels, and it’ll be unlikely that the left joystick will work, but the one on the right should work as a d-pad so you can use it for the MFD.

Can’t say for sure, as you never know unless you own it - hopefully someone who does will chime in, but hope this helps in the meantime.

I assume you’re looking to buy the CSL Elite F1 set?

C331670B-05A5-450A-BDCD-01658541DE1A.jpeg

Edited by Monzie83
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Exactly and thanks, it surely helps!

Perhaps with F1 2021 I may evaluate an upgrade from my current G29 although I’m still having a lot of fun,  so I’m starting to “study”... The first thing that caught my attention is the poor number of buttons 🤣 but with a 4 positions-pad looks already much better.

I'm still open to (not overly expensive) solutions also because the CSL Elite F1 bundle is currently unavailable at Fanatec Europe website.

BTW your wheel is simply awesome! 😎 Reading the official website I didn’t consider it before because is labeled “PS ready”. Can it be used with a “basic” base, V1 or V1.1 if I’m not wrong (and “normal” Elite Pedals) without the need for anything else?

Thank you again for your help :classic_smile:

Greetings,

Nuv

Edited by Nuvolarix

4 hours ago, Nuvolarix said:

Reading the official website I didn’t consider it before because is labeled “PS ready”. Can it be used with a “basic” base, V1 or V1.1 if I’m not wrong (and “normal” Elite Pedals) without the need for anything else?

You’re welcome Nuv.

So the wheel can be used with PS, you need to make sure it’s paired with a PS compatible base.

From what I’ve been told by Fanatec, for PS compatibility, it’s the base that matters - you have to make sure the base is PS compatible (make sure it says “PS” instead of “PS Ready”), and then you can use any wheel that says “PS” or “PS Ready”. For Xbox use, you have to make sure the wheel is Xbox compatible (“Xbox”) and any base should then become compatible (that says “Xbox ready”). All equipment is PC compatible.

Terribly confusing...

This way, it’s possible to have a setup to use on all platforms like I have; Clubsport v2 wheel (Xbox compatible, PS Ready), CSL Elite + Wheelbase (PS Compatible, Xbox Ready). 

The pedals will work on any platform, as long as it’s compatible, and for consoles must be plugged into the base and not the console itself. I have the CSL LC pedals.

I doubt the above will change anytime soon, but it’s worth checking with their sales team before parting with your hard earned cash!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ouch, really confusing method by Fanatec... :classic_huh:

Thanks again for your full explanation and yes, I will directly ask to them to be 100% sure before the purchase but it already helps a lot to have an idea :classic_smile:

Edited by Nuvolarix

Additionally if the wheel supports the Advanced Paddle Module, the secondary paddles above the shift can be assigned and the analog clutch paddles also function. BTW as for PS base support the DriveHub accessory from CronusMax allows the CSW 2 and 2.5 wheelbases to work with PS4/PS5 - just need a spare controller (3rd party ones work as well) so you might see a used base as a reasonable starting point.

Wish the left joystick was supported. It does work in GT sport and ACC so its on the codies to get arround to supporting it - not a limit in the current Fanatec SDK

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neilrs60 said:

Additionally if the wheel supports the Advanced Paddle Module, the secondary paddles above the shift can be assigned and the analog clutch paddles also function. BTW as for PS base support the DriveHub accessory from CronusMax allows the CSW 2 and 2.5 wheelbases to work with PS4/PS5 - just need a spare controller (3rd party ones work as well) so you might see a used base as a reasonable starting point.

Wish the left joystick was supported. It does work in GT sport and ACC so its on the codies to get arround to supporting it - not a limit in the current Fanatec SDK

Thank you! :classic_smile:

13 hours ago, Neilrs60 said:

Additionally if the wheel supports the Advanced Paddle Module, the secondary paddles above the shift can be assigned and the analog clutch paddles also function.

I use the top paddles for DRS and Overtake, they're pretty handy.

I have this wheel. The left analog stick is the only thing that can’t be used in f1 2020 on PS. 

2 hours ago, WigglyStyle said:

I have this wheel. The left analog stick is the only thing that can’t be used in f1 2020 on PS. 

Hi, thank you for reply :classic_smile:

Just to be sure, you mean the one I was asking about in the first post?

• Agree 1

Hi there, I would have another question :classic_smile:

Is there any of you with a CSL wheelbase using it with table clamps?

Could you please measure the distances in blue and/or red in the picture below? I have a kind of a curved desk and I need to understand if the clamps are long enough to work properly (e.g. the G29 clamps are just ok but even 1 cm less wouldn’t work for me).

86939377-C0F1-4702-B100-E20A8C8E7733.thumb.jpeg.b0cb73819e60c5e3220ff86b12de6217.jpeg

Thank you in advance 😊

1 minute ago, steviejay69 said:

I really wouldn't recommend clamp mounting the Fanatec kit. Mount to a rig (pre-drilled for bolts).

Hi and thank you for reply :classic_smile:

Is there a product ready to buy or could you share some pictures?

I was thinking to the table clamps (if necessary with low FFB strength) because I may need to remove it sometimes, it may be harder in other ways, but at the moment I’m still studying the feasibility... Thanks

1 minute ago, Nuvolarix said:

Hi and thank you for reply :classic_smile:

Is there a product ready to buy or could you share some pictures?

I was thinking to the table clamps (if necessary with low FFB strength) because I may need to remove it sometimes, it may be harder in other ways, but at the moment I’m still studying the feasibility... Thanks

There are plenty, but it all comes down to preference and budget. Wheel stands are more portable than full cockpits.

• Agree 1