Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Multiplayer Connection Issue

Hello,

I have been experimenting several issues while trying to play online on any lobby. I am not sure why is this happening, so I would need help in order to fix this issue. It happens about 75% of the time, making it almost imposible to play online. Here are the details:

A detailed description of the issue. This issue has been happening since I had F1 2019 on my console. So normally I would join an unranked lobby and have some fun, but out of nowhere, all the players leaves the lobby and there are three possible situations:

1. There is a message on the whole screen telling me that there aren't enough players to keep going, so it redirects me back to the lobby, as myself the hoster of it.
  2. All players get ghosted and once practice, qualyfing or race has ended, it shows up I am the only one in the lobby (and probably shows up what I said on 1st posibility)
  3. A message of "Changing Host" appears on the bottom, then shows all of the player's names leaving the lobby, one per one. Then all of the players are ghosted.
  4. If it's on lobby, all players get away and gives me the host role.

I am unsure of the why on this issue -- I have no wired/wireless connection problems (confirmed by my console's connection test) and even shows (either the game or my console) that my connection is perfect.

Platform: Play Station 5 (also was happening on my Play Station 4 back when I had it).
What version of the game you are using: 1.17.
Ranked/Unranked/Leagues: Normally happens on unranked and ranked, I'm not sure if the issue is also on leagues yet.

Wired or Wireless Connection? Wired. I tried using wireless as well, but it gets worse.
The amount of players in your session? It happens no matter the amount of players (2-22).
Were you the host? No.
Did this issue happens for everyone in the session, just some people or just yourself? What did they see? Unfortunately I cannot confirm if this happens to other people, but I think it doesn't -- because when it happened to me one time and went to the unranked search, I saw the same lobby (same owner, same progress, same settings). So I supose it only happens to me.
We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again? Check the video below.
How do you make the problem happen? It's just joining any lobby and wait some time in (either in the lobby or racing) until the issue is applied.
Can you add a report code? Not sure if it's useful anyway, but here you go: HTTB-VTEP-AJGG-BASC
Video of the issue, including timestamps. Did you stream the session? No, I wasn't streaming, but I recorded it just in case -- check the video below.
TIMESTAMPS:
0:00 - Race finishes

0:46 - Loading screen

2:13 - The bug (situation 4).

I hope this issue can be solved as soon as posible.

Thanks,

Eclipsium.

I have exactly the Same issue this evening.

Trying to fix it for more than 2 hours, but without success.

If everyone leaves the lobby one after the other and it migrates host, it means you are the one that has lagged out. Check connection etc.

3 minutes ago, zampa said:

If everyone leaves the lobby one after the other and it migrates host, it means you are the one that has lagged out. Check connection etc.

Yeah I have thought of that posibility and tested connection as quickly it happened, but everything still was perfect.

I have been with the same service for more than four years and back then everything was going well. I even played F1 2019 on my PC to confirm if it was my connection's issue, and on my PC it went perfectly. So I doubt it is really my connection.

17 minutes ago, Eclipsium said:

Yeah I have thought of that posibility and tested connection as quickly it happened, but everything still was perfect.

I have been with the same service for more than four years and back then everything was going well. I even played F1 2019 on my PC to confirm if it was my connection's issue, and on my PC it went perfectly. So I doubt it is really my connection.

What console are you on? Is it wifi or wired? Maybe check nat type or firewall?

You probably know all of this but it's worth a try. It is odd how sometimes the game boots you out of the lobby when you lag, or keeps you in but in your own parallel lobby racing ghosts.

Posted (edited)

(I'm unable to quote on phone, but I'm answering to the previous post). 

I've specified I am on the Play Station 5 console and also that the issue also occurred when I had my Play Station 4. Normally I'd play on wired - - I also tried playing wireless to check if it was the issue, but it wasn't. 

I checked nat and firewall and everything is still okay, so I have no idea. 

And yeah, it is very odd. Luckily I can know if I am alone or not thanks to the PS5 menu bar because when I'm racing and out of a sudden this issue happens, most of the time I wouldn't even be notified if anyone left the lobby, and I only could know if most of the cars were ghosted or acting like the AI (back when I had my PS4). 

Edited by Eclipsium
Forgot to quote and was unable to to do it, left a quick explanation.

I think it just happens sometimes, especially if your connection to the host is in the red. You could have the best internet connection in the world but if the host of the lobby has Tesco Wifi it means nothing. Keep trying different lobbies or maybe host one yourself.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, zampa said:

I think it just happens sometimes, especially if your connection to the host is in the red. You could have the best internet connection in the world but if the host of the lobby has Tesco Wifi it means nothing. Keep trying different lobbies or maybe host one yourself.

Good luck!

I tried joining on a lobby where the hoster's connection was fine and I still got the issue. I wasn't able to host myself because no one was there to join.

I also tried different lobbies, with the same issue no matter where's it from.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:10 PM, BarryBL said:

What is your NAT type @Eclipsium. Have you done any port forwarding at all?

Hello, I apologize for my late answer.

My NAT type is Type 2 and I probably did port forwarding.

Thanks @Eclipsium

By probably, going to need to know what ports you have forwarded. If you can confirm, that would be great. Can you join other lobbies without your friend for example. What do you see in the lobby screen, can you add a screenshot of this please (Looking for red bars here on the right hand side). 

Also, may I ask what country you come from. Some ISP's in certain countries can prove problematic at times from experience.

14 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Thanks @Eclipsium

By probably, going to need to know what ports you have forwarded. If you can confirm, that would be great. Can you join other lobbies without your friend for example. What do you see in the lobby screen, can you add a screenshot of this please (Looking for red bars here on the right hand side). 

Also, may I ask what country you come from. Some ISP's in certain countries can prove problematic at times from experience.

About the port forwarding, I actually didn't do that (I thought it was something else).

Yes, I can join lobbies without any of my PSN friends, but the issue is still applied. There is already an example of this in the video I attached (specifically at 2:13) but usually, the host has all bars while everyone else (except one or two) has one, while me I usually have around two or five.

I am from Spain, east part (that is also the reason why my grammar isn't good, and of the misunderstanding).

• Thanks 1

Good spot, thanks @Eclipsium. Grammar is just fine, give yourself more credit 🙂 . Managed to capture a image from your video, looks like there is a connection problem on your side. Possibly a firewall, or some ports that need to be opened to play. Image from your vid below:

image.png

Those red bars on the right are the worldwide sign of 'something is wrong with Connectivity here'.  This might be useful (try the generic ones first):

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

1 minute ago, BarryBL said:

Good spot, thanks @Eclipsium. Grammar is just fine, give yourself more credit 🙂 . Managed to capture a image from your video, looks like there is a connection problem on your side. Possibly a firewall, or some ports that need to be opened to play. Image from your vid below:

image.png

I see. The thing is that when I played other online games (as an example Destruction All Stars) I never experienced any issue. In this game however, I simply either get disconnected quickly or if during the event, just get to race against ghosted AI -- so I'm not sure if this is my connection's issue.

I'm not really experienced in port forwarding, but this is a very consistent issue which happens about 85% of the time and gets a bit frustrating at some point (specially when you are racing in a league).

19 hours ago, Eclipsium said:

Oh sorry, I didn't see the link. I'll check it out -- thanks.

Be sure to feed back when you've solved it. To add to what @BarryBL says,the 'swirlies' near the red connection bars means communication hasn't been fully established with that player. They change to - when the connection is okay and  when the player readies up.

The colour of the bars is to do with available bandwidth and / or ping. If the player has an ordinary DSL broadband connection or is located many miles away from you geographically then the bars tend to red, orange, yellow and green being best. If you see the bars above players in game (and above all players, worse still is 'X' which means disconnected) then it is likely still your connection that is poor.

Play wired where possible and consider if others are sharing your connection when you play.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Be sure to feed back when you've solved it. To add to what @BarryBL says the 'swirlies' near the red connection bars means communication hasn't been fully established with that player. They change to - when the connection is okay and  when the player readies up.

The colour of the bars is to do with available bandwidth and / or ping. If the player has an ordinary DSL broadband connection or is located many miles away from you geographically then the bars tend to red, orange, yellow and green being best. If you see the bars above players in game (and above all players, worse still is 'X' which means disconnected) then it is likely still your connection that is poor.

Play wired where possible and consider if others are sharing your connection when you play.

Good luck.

The broadband is not located very far, in fact it's just in front of the console.

The thing is that other online games work perfectly, and normally I didn't experience any issue with them. I always play wired and the issue still happens -- and despite that I don't think others are sharing my connection because usually they have varied bars.

I will try out the link that Barry has sent me once I figure out how to do it.

I'll send feedback if anything -- thanks.

• Thanks 1

Maybe also set up a reserved / static IP for the console? This can also sometimes help with PF.

3 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Maybe also set up a reserved / static IP for the console? This can also sometimes help with PF.

Yeah, it's something I want to figure out as well.

I'm not so experienced in doing these things and I don't want to mess up -- I'm not really an adult, so that explains my unprofessionalism.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hello again,

I tested out the port forwarding and for now it looks like it's working. I might need some days however, to see if this perfectly works -- so I'll test it for two or three more days and if I don't have the issue then I guess it's solved and send feedback about it to inform you. Else if it isn't I'll send feedback immediately anyway if anything.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Hello,

Sadly this didn't work. I'm not sure which ports do I have to insert and I'm not sure if this works (1935,3074,3478-3480), can you guys tell me which ones I have to put?

Thanks.

23 hours ago, Eclipsium said:

Hello,

Sadly this didn't work. I'm not sure which ports do I have to insert and I'm not sure if this works (1935,3074,3478-3480), can you guys tell me which ones I have to put?

Thanks.

Port Forwarding does not work for every router. Most domestic routers use uPnP. This uses a network discovery service and is a 'zero config' solution (ports are automatically opened for services on attached devices).

Sometimes setting Port Forwarding or routing rules disables uPnP. I would advise doing a factory reset of your router (checking for any firmware updates) and the bare minimum required to set your ISP connection and WiFi to settings that work for you.

4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Port Forwarding does not work for every router. Most domestic routers use uPnP. This uses a network discovery service and is a 'zero config' solution (ports are automatically opened for services on attached devices).

Sometimes setting Port Forwarding or routing rules disables uPnP. I would advise doing a factory reset of your router (checking for any firmware updates) and the bare minimum required to set your ISP connection and WiFi to settings that work for you.

I have been looking at the broadband's website and apparently Port Forwarding should work on my router version, there are even steps on how to do it. I only think I might have introduced the wrong ports.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to do a factory reset -- just to remind and as embarassing as it might sound: I'm not an adult.

I also apologize for my unprofessionalism.

12 hours ago, Eclipsium said:

I have been looking at the broadband's website and apparently Port Forwarding should work on my router version, there are even steps on how to do it. I only think I might have introduced the wrong ports.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to do a factory reset -- just to remind and as embarassing as it might sound: I'm not an adult.

I also apologize for my unprofessionalism.

Protocol TCP: 1935,3478-3480 & Protocol UDP: 3074,3478-3479. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, steviejay69 said:

Protocol TCP: 1935,3478-3480 & Protocol UDP: 3074,3478-3479. 

I really apologize for the late answer.

Thanks, I tried these today and so will need a few days more to check if it works.

• Thanks 2