Jump to content Jump to content

PC Graphics Performance Issue Recently

Proper format will be below my truth.

I've owned this game for maybe 6 months. When I first got it, I wasn't playing very often because all I had was an xbox controller and there is only so much you can control using it. But the game looked great and I was excited to eventually get a wheel and become the next great sim racing driver that my family will finally respect!

A week ago I purchased the Logitech G923, its not a fanatec DD, but I have 0 complaints when comparing the prices and maximum performance improvement for someone like me. Unfortunately I noticed that the moment I started using the wheel, it felt like the graphics began to be effected. Initially the quality of the projected graphics would drop so low that I couldn't read anything on the in game steering wheel, and it was hard to spot braking points I would clearly see right before using the wheel. I feel like this has to be a coincidence because a controller shouldn't effect graphics like that. I've been playing with the graphics setting since and though it doesn't look like a youtube video going from 1080 to 480 when I go from not driving to driving; there still is a jerkiness to the gameplay and odd issues that don't make playing very attractive. I tried recording gameplay to show what I'm experiencing but my lack of experience in that caused the video to look bad when recorded and its not a fair example of what I'm seeing on the screen. I want to stress that my computer is NOT under stress when I'm playing. CPU, memory, and GPU look like they're just cruising comfortably... but the game play looks like my system is about to overheat. this issue is there on Ultra all the way down to low settings, which seems like it clears the possibility of hardware strain. If someone can help me troubleshoot and fix this issue that would be excellent because I really enjoy this game and would like to continue playing.

1.       A description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. Please reference my truth above.

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 1.17

3.       Game-mode? Time Attack, My Team (only modes I've played)

4.       Are you able to recreate the issue? If so, please include recreation steps on how you encountered this issue. The issue happens the faster I drive essentially anytime I drive

5.       How often do you see this problem? Is it the only time or does it always happen? If not always, 90% of the time

6.       Have you tried any troubleshooting? We recommend the steps here as a starting point for any issues. Please let us know what troubleshooting methods you have tried while creating this post. I've troubleshot to the best of my ability. Changed graphics settings at least 10-15 times using different combinations as well as checking files and even using a command on steam to utilize full CPU performance.

7.       Any accessories you are using (gamepad, wheel etc) Logitech G923 wheel and pedals (xbox compatible)

8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears. Unfortunately the degradation of recorded gameplay masks the degradation of the gameplay itself and seemed like an unfair example of the issue, I can submit it if someone feels like it would help. it does show the stuttering around certain corners that feels like hardware strain, but as mentioned above the FPS and hardware remain steady and unstrained when this happens

crash_dump#746942-20210328-124656-0.zip

crash_dump#746942-20210329-131451-0.zip

DxDiag.txt

hardwaresettings.zip

I recommend uninstalling the Dragon Center app and any related companion / dependents.

Can you try troubleshooting without the second monitor please, then the Elgato.

The driver for the G923 looks very new, not saying that's bad but I don't think the full game support is there for that wheel (yet?).

The refresh rate is high on the primary monitor (144Hz) please ensure your desktop refresh is matched or consider lowering it, and / or framecapping to similar. I use the RX5700XT myself and it is overkill at 1080.

UEFI 3.7 (AGESA DOWNGRADE to 1.0.0.6 - not sure the latest updates are really offering you anything tangible as it's mainly tweaks for 5000 series and resizeable BAR for NV cards. The suggestion is that I use AGESA 1.0.0.6A on my board, along with recommended driver build 21.3.1.)

Try these in order.

Thanks for the reply, I finally got around to giving it a try. I'm at the step of downgrading the BIOS and it dawned on me that I did upgrade the bios since the last time I played the game properly. I'm slightly worried about goofing things with the bios downgrade. I have decent IT experience but its mainly on the networking side. Do you have a trusted resource that goes over the proper steps to safely downgrade? The people on youtube say Uhhh and Ummm too much for my comfort.

On 4/7/2021 at 3:57 PM, CPTSTINKYBOOTS said:

Thanks for the reply, I finally got around to giving it a try. I'm at the step of downgrading the BIOS and it dawned on me that I did upgrade the bios since the last time I played the game properly. I'm slightly worried about goofing things with the bios downgrade. I have decent IT experience but its mainly on the networking side. Do you have a trusted resource that goes over the proper steps to safely downgrade? The people on youtube say Uhhh and Ummm too much for my comfort.

Downgrade should be fine. Use the MSI on-board M-FLASH utility. It would only be an issue if you downgraded to an AGESA that didn't support your CPU.

Plus MSI haven't stated that you CAN'T downgrade, nor have they revised the UEFI BIOS release versions. From what I see, the issues with flash locks are on ASUS boards which use BIOS encapsulation (*.CAP). A flash lock would prevent a downgrade, so if the M-FLASH utility can see the lock it will tell you and prevent it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 1:51 AM, steviejay69 said:

Downgrade should be fine. Use the MSI on-board M-FLASH utility. It would only be an issue if you downgraded to an AGESA that didn't support your CPU.

Plus MSI haven't stated that you CAN'T downgrade, nor have they revised the UEFI BIOS release versions. From what I see, the issues with flash locks are on ASUS boards which use BIOS encapsulation (*.CAP). A flash lock would prevent a downgrade, so if the M-FLASH utility can see the lock it will tell you and prevent it.

Sorry for the late reply, I finished all the troubleshooting steps and the issue is still there.

However, I noticed something that further leads me to believe the steering wheel or the game interacting with the steering wheel is causing the issue. Out of curiosity I disabled force feedback completely, while my control of the car went out the window not having the feedback to feel the limits, I immediately noticed that the frame stuttering also stopped. The game still doesn't feel 100% but it was a massive improvement. I continued playing with those settings and noticed that the more force feedback I add the more the game stutters and it is more often during cornering which is the most important part for that not to happen. I then searched for force feedback giving people game performance issues and found many people claiming the same issues I have been getting with this other f1 titles. I haven't found a solution yet since its mainly a whole bunch of people throwing a whole bunch of different troubleshooting steps all at once, so now I'm wondering if Codemasters is aware of any game performance issue directly related with force feedback or the Logitech series of wheels? I want to add that I don't think its hardware strain because my graphics, memory, and CPU are well within normal operating conditions while I play this game with or without the force feedback enabled.

Thanks for the feedback, no pun intended.

Please disconnect all non essential USB devices, remove any USB hubs powered or passive.

Disable any front or case USB ports.

Plug the wheel directly into a motherboard USB 2.0 port 

I will edit this post when I have read the motherboard manual.

Edit: 

Okay, so a (beta) BIOS 3B2 with the AGESA Combo PI v2 1.2.0.2 has been posted and quotes 

Description
- Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.2
- Improved USB device compatibility

As referenced in P23 of the English manual, the USB 2.0 ports are the ones directly underneath the PS/2 connector.

It's an issue I have been following with reports of USB issues with B450/B550 chipsets. Fortunately I haven't had the issues on my Gigabyte B450M H (UEFI F3 - AGESA 1.0.0.6A) but I use a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, not a 3000 series.

On 4/18/2021 at 8:09 PM, steviejay69 said:

Thanks for the feedback, no pun intended.

Please disconnect all non essential USB devices, remove any USB hubs powered or passive.

Disable any front or case USB ports.

Plug the wheel directly into a motherboard USB 2.0 port 

I will edit this post when I have read the motherboard manual.

Edit: 

Okay, so a (beta) BIOS 3B2 with the AGESA Combo PI v2 1.2.0.2 has been posted and quotes 

As referenced in P23 of the English manual, the USB 2.0 ports are the ones directly underneath the PS/2 connector.

It's an issue I have been following with reports of USB issues with B450/B550 chipsets. Fortunately I haven't had the issues on my Gigabyte B450M H (UEFI F3 - AGESA 1.0.0.6A) but I use a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, not a 3000 series.

First of all, shout out to StevieJay69 for diving into the deep end to solve this issue.

Second, I plugged the wheel into a motherboard usb port before this edit and immediately noticed a difference... I cant tell if its completely solved since I dont have a reference of what the game looks and feels like with the perfect combination of hardware. I may try it on a buddies pc sometime soon. I'll look into the next troubleshooting step when I have time and Ill post if there was an improvement or not for the record.  

Archived