Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
PC Forum Championship Season 4 F1 2020 | Sign Up Here Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Maxed out car bottoms out way to much

So I'm playing my team career mode with max upgrades in downforce and weight reduction and Ballest. and no matter what ride hight I set my car it bottoms out at 60 mph what can I do so that won't happen

(Note: fuel set 4.5 laps)

16176544135577324145942029188176.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Arod15sf said:

So I'm playing my team career mode with max upgrades in downforce and weight reduction and Ballest. and no matter what ride hight I set my car it bottoms out at 60 mph what can I do so that won't happen

(Note: fuel set 4.5 laps)

ī 

The spring rate and or preload of the spring , usually  tiny torsion bars on a modern F1 car (a piece of round section spring steel alloy bar that is clamped tight at both ends and if you try to twist it then it resists and always returns back to its original alignment) .These are used because they are light and compact and are what supports the weight of the car,  if you add more weight to the car by producing more downforce which pushes down on the car adding load and pressing on the spring then you will need to push back against that downward force or in the end the car will be pushed lower and lower . It makes sense in this situation to have stiffer springs that resist the force pushing against them , and so you need to increase the value of the spring  . The ride height at the front of the car needs to be as low as you can have it when the car is actually on the track at full speed without it always touching it , the rear of the car needs to be slightly higher this creates a gap under the car of lower pressure air which helps the cars underside to be sucked downwards onto the track whenmoving forward (this difference between low front  and higher rear ride heights is called 'Rake' and is very important for car grip to the track , a value of   11  both ends is too high start with 4 front and 5 or 6 at the rear if you are using a high downforce setup  , and  increase your front and rear spring values by +1 click at a time to resist the downward force  then test until it feels right ....for example now you have yours set at 6 front & 5 rear so make them 7 front & 6 rear then go test the car on track with ride height at 4 front & 5 rear , if it bottoms out add more to the springs etc until you get what you want.

If you go to YouTube you can find videos telling you how a F1 car is made and how they work , also how to make setups in the F1 game by codemasters.

IRL the ballast is put towards the front of the car but in the game setups usually favour The ballast very far back like 9,10,11

Edited by Exasperated

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Exasperated said:

The spring rate and or preload of the spring , usually  tiny torsion bars on a modern F1 car (a piece of round section spring steel alloy bar that is clamped tight at both ends and if you try to twist it then it resists and always returns back to its original alignment) .These are used because they are light and compact and are what supports the weight of the car,  if you add more weight to the car by producing more downforce which pushes down on the car adding load and pressing on the spring then you will need to push back against that downward force or in the end the car will be pushed lower and lower . It makes sense in this situation to have stiffer springs that resist the force pushing against them , and so you need to increase the value of the spring  . The ride height at the front of the car needs to be as low as you can have it when the car is actually on the track at full speed without it always touching it , the rear of the car needs to be slightly higher this creates a gap under the car of lower pressure air which helps the cars underside to be sucked downwards onto the track whenmoving forward (this difference between low front  and higher rear ride heights is called 'Rake' and is very important for car grip to the track , a value of   11  both ends is too high start with 4 front and 5 or 6 at the rear if you are using a high downforce setup  , and  increase your front and rear spring values by +1 click at a time to resist the downward force  then test until it feels right ....for example now you have yours set at 6 front & 5 rear so make them 7 front & 6 rear then go test the car on track with ride height at 4 front & 5 rear , if it bottoms out add more to the springs etc until you get what you want.

If you go to YouTube you can find videos telling you how a F1 car is made and how they work , also how to make setups in the F1 game by codemasters.

IRL the ballast is put towards the front of the car but in the game setups usually favour The ballast very far back like 9,10,11

I'll have to wait till I finish the race for the next round of practice sessions. my only fear is if set the springs to high the car is going to terrifying on the kerbs.

Edited by Arod15sf
Grammer fixes

5 hours ago, Arod15sf said:

I'll have to wait till I finish the race for the next round of practice sessions. my only fear is if set the springs to high the car is going to terrifying on the kerbs.

The tyres are also part of the suspension so you can lower pressures to help absorb knocks , between spring ,tyre , height and downforce values you need to find a compromise so that you get the handling without the suspension being too stiff. Just as IRL just because you have aero that gives you masses of downforce doesn't mean to say you have to use all of it. Theres only Monaco and Singapore that need high levels of down force so you will be able to find something workable in the range available, Its just a lot of testing which can be time consuming. Good luck.

• Thanks 1