F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Why do F1 drivers do this?

I am probably embarrassing myself, but why do F1 drivers be reserve drivers?  As an example, Alexander Albon is currently the reserve driver for Red Bull (I think).  Why would he want to be in a position in which he would do few grand prix's and then practice when he could go to  F2 and do double the races as a starting driver?  I came up with some reasons for this.  Number one is that if he has gone through getting a super license from the FIA, he would rather put it into the occasional F1 race rather than the less prestigious F2.  My second reason was that a Formula 1 driver is going to probably get paid more than an F2 driver.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that they should just move to F2 and. race more.

Posted (edited)

Interesting question. I suspect there probably wasn't an F2 seat available even if Alex had wanted one though.

Edited by Ultra3142

Ah, that is true.  I don't really suspect Albon would be happy with an F2 wage (I don't know their wages, but one would imagine it to be low).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, niin54 said:

Ah, that is true.  I don't really suspect Albon would be happy with an F2 wage (I don't know their wages, but one would imagine it to be low).

If he is a reserve driver he stays up to speed with F1 and has a chance of getting a drive , once he leaves F1 there is not much chance of a return for him because he dropped  down as a driver that failed to prove himself even though he was given plenty of time to try and turn things around. In other words he is easily forgotten, I don't know how much he gets paid but I read in some F1 media output that the younger rookie drivers are paid around 150,000 basic salary (Prime minister of England gets approx. £180,000 basic) Beckham and Rooney larfed and larfed ,  but obviously make more through sponsorship and bonuses , It sounds very low basic to me taking into consideration the $40,000,000 ish that the likes of Hamilton and Vettel can negotiate; but not many people are going to know what they actually get paid ,if that really is around the ballpark figure then they are not going to get a massive amount of money to drive an F2 car.

If you were in F1 and you had spent your whole life trying to get there wouldn't you do everything you could to stay connected to it as long as you could,

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Prime minister of England gets approx. £180,000

UK Prime Minister not just for England...

1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

UK Prime Minister not just for England...

Scotland Wales and NI will soon be departing if 'Coco'Johnson and the 'govester' don't sling their hooks

There's nothing united at the moment about the kingdom unless of course one takes the Daily Express word for truth.