PC Forum Championship Season 4 F1 2020 | Sign Up Here Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Thrustmaster Ferrar F1 Wheel Setup?

hey guys, just received my Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel
but i'm struggling with the settings :/
my main problem is that i have like massive understeer
if i take any corner like with 100kph it is fine
but on higher speed i miss the turn and always run into the grass on the outer line of the turns.
any idea?
it's like i need the wheel to steer a bit more / harder

TIA

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tobi90ger said:

hey guys, just received my Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel
but i'm struggling with the settings 😕
my main problem is that i have like massive understeer
if i take any corner like with 100kph it is fine
but on higher speed i miss the turn and always run into the grass on the outer line of the turns.
any idea?
it's like i need the wheel to steer a bit more / harder

TIA

F1 cars  Calibration (top to bottom)  0  0. 8. 5. 80. 0. 16. 100. 11     FFB (top to bottom) 120.  95. 50. 40. 15  OFF 360

F2 cars  Calibration (top to bottom)  0. 0. 8  25  5. 0  16. 100  40   FFB (top to bottom) 80. 95. 50. 40. 0  OFF 360

Classic cars with H pattern gears      0. 0. 8  5. 80  0. 16. 100  15    FFB (top to bottom) 100. 95. 50. 40 100  OFF 360

^ This value here affects how the car turns into a corner try it on 0 and 10 to feel the difference.

Understeer  is a problem caused by bad FFB settings and poor Car setups but that is a complicated issue , the easiest way to help with understeer is 1 slow down to a reasonable speed when cornering  2 If you can ; do not apply the brakes when cornering if you have a front biased setup.  3. Make sure that your tyres are running at the right temperature in the MFD menu as cold tyres do not grip as well as hot ones . Use tyre pressure to get the correct running temperature on track , more pressure = hotter running tyres and less pressure cooler running tyres . 94 to 100 degrees Celsius is a reasonable temp range to start with. The more you know about how R.L F1 cars work the easier it is to make car set ups so that you do not get understeer or oversteer problems but it is complicated so its best to read up or find out on you tube videos if you want to have good car set ups. If you go to Time trial you can choose to run using a fast drivers set up and then you will have a starting point to find out what works .

If you have Thrustmaster pedals then restrict the movement of your brake pedal to 1 cm of movement by sticking a suitably sized block of rubber in the gap between the pedal  arm and the pedal base leaving the 1cm gap , this will make braking much easier.

Edited by Exasperated

thanks so far.

i read somewhere else for a 360 degree option but never found one in any option at the game?
this is how my FFB looks like, bit different?

F1 2020 - DX12 Screenshot 2021.04.10 - 21.49.27.42.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tobi90ger said:

btw for a little bit more of showing my issue:

https://vimeo.com/535292778

Your video shows that your technique is wrong at the corner. At the Black square at track side that is near the 100m braking marker you need to lift off the throttle completely and start changing the gears lower very smooth and fast and also do the braking , by the time you reach the start of the apex of the corner you should be in gear 2 or 3 ready to accelerate away from the apex.

You need to slow down a lot more to the corner so that you learn how to do it , You are trying to go too  fast and this is the problem , learning to slow down in the correct places on the lap is what makes the lap quicker.

Edited by Exasperated

Posted (edited)

Set your actual Thrustmaster wheel base to 360 degrees rotation  by pressing 1 time only  the 'MODE' button on the Left hand lower front panel of the wheelbase and at exactly the same moment press the very small joy stick at the lower part of your F1 wheel to the right direction and then release both , you can see the light at the side of the MODE button flashes red light , press the buttons together one time again and the light will flash more or less times .

For a rotation of 360 the light needs to flash 2 times.

Congratulations to you for driving your car in cockpit view where a driver should be , there is hope  Have a good practice session.

Edited by Exasperated

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Your video shows that your technique is wrong at the corner. At the Black square at track side that is near the 100m braking marker you need to lift off the throttle completely and start changing the gears lower very smooth and fast and also do the braking , by the time you reach the start of the apex of the corner you should be in gear 2 or 3 ready to accelerate away from the apex.

You need to slow down a lot more to the corner so that you learn how to do it , You are trying to go too  fast and this is the problem , learning to slow down in the correct places on the lap is what makes the lap quicker.

It will also be much easier if you take a standard line through the corner by heading in the direction of the apex from when you start slowing down at the black square marker at the side of the track , if you look at the apex as soon as you can see it on the approach and keep your eyes looking at only the apex then you will be dragged to it like a magnet.

By driving deeper to the corner and making it a sharper angle of turning like you are doing in your video you are making the tyres more likely to lose grip , I think it is probably easier to do this in real life than in the game.

To help drive the corners of the track go to 'Camera settings' and change the Field of view setting to 35 degrees and the off set horizontal setting (the one that moves the camera nearer to the in game steering wheel) to 0.95 and set the 'Look to apex' setting at maximum 15 degrees.

Edited by Exasperated

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, tobi90ger said:

thanks so far.

i read somewhere else for a 360 degree option but never found one in any option at the game?
this is how my FFB looks like, bit different?

F1 2020 - DX12 Screenshot 2021.04.10 - 21.49.27.42.png

With these settings in the picture this is not a major cause of your understeer , the games default settings are useless for a T300 and they give horrible understeer problems ,  They probably relate to wheels like the Fanatec that has 6Nm of torque from its motor not like the T300 with approx. 2Nm. If you are on Steam isn't there a wheel calibration page or similar to set the degrees of in games wheel rotation?

Edited by Exasperated

I have the same issue. There are corners, where u can go by with full gas, and I have to use break massively there however my wheel is looking like in monaco's hairpin. It's like there is no grip from the middle of the corner, and its not connected to the car's speed.