Jump to content Jump to content

Theoretical Best Lap Time

russwa

Like many, I am frustrated by the cheats being used on the Time Trials leader board.  Stopping the cheats is impossible, but the rest of us could use a target time that is genuine.  It seems to me that Codemasters could calculate a "theoretical best" lap time for each car and track given the parameters of the game.  Having the theoretical lap time for each make of car posted at the top of the Leader Board for a given track would give us a solid target to shoot for and it would tacitly identify many of those drivers using cheats.  And it would allow Codemasters a simple screen for identifying possible cheats and eliminating them from the boards.  Also having the ability to filter best times by car make would be a tremendous help.  Trying to scroll through several thousand Mercedes to find an Alfa Romeo time and set up is not practical.  Besides that, as a sim, we want to compare our times to those who drive the same make of car.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, russwa said:

It seems to me that Codemasters could calculate a "theoretical best" lap time for each car and track given the parameters of the game. 

I'd have thought this would actually be extremely hard to try to calculate? The number of variables is huge.

I agree that there are many variables involved and that it may be difficult to calculate such a time, but all the variables relevant to in-game performance of the cars are already known.  The track parameters are also known. My guess is both sets of parameters must be applied to calculate AI performance in the career races so it should be possible to calculate a "best lap" for each car without much fuss.  I guess I just want a time to shoot for that doesn't break all the laws of physics.  Anyhow, nothing will likely come of this.

I see that you are using the T300RS.  I had the Ferrari wheel on mine and highly recommend it. 

2 hours ago, russwa said:

I agree that there are many variables involved and that it may be difficult to calculate such a time, but all the variables relevant to in-game performance of the cars are already known.  The track parameters are also known. My guess is both sets of parameters must be applied to calculate AI performance in the career races so it should be possible to calculate a "best lap" for each car without much fuss.  I guess I just want a time to shoot for that doesn't break all the laws of physics.  Anyhow, nothing will likely come of this.

I see that you are using the T300RS.  I had the Ferrari wheel on mine and highly recommend it. 

I think you're significantly underestimating the complexities here.

Archived