Jump to content Jump to content

Realistic Start Lights/Gantry + Sounds and Associated Cameras

JacklimbHD

I have a weird fetish for wanting realistic gantry/start lights and the sounds/cameras associated to them. I will try and make the thread detailed, so it's clear the message i am trying to convey, so that the developers may read it, and I would believe this would make thousands of fans happier and more intrigued!!

Current Game F1 2020:

1. The start lights are not the correct sequence in terms of reality. Once the 1st red light comes on to start the race sequence, it takes 3 seconds on the F1 2020 game to have all 5 red lights on, meaning each light is 0.75 seconds. This is incorrect and has been since F1 2014. Why is the F1 game not stimulating the real life sequence. It should be 1 second per red light, so once the 1st red lights is on, it should take 4 seconds, to have all 5 red lights on. This can't be hard to put into the game, and will give those race starts more suspense and ultimately what we all would like, realism.

2. Next part, the time the 5 red lights go out. In this game, it is clear the 5 red lights can be on for 0.9/1.0 seconds minimum, and then a maximum of 4 seconds or very close to that. As we have seen for the past 2 1/2 seasons in real life, this is quite unrealistic. There has been only 2 races where the lights have been on for approximately 2.7secs+ (Imola 2020 and Russia 2019). To spice things up, and again increas the 'realism' (sorry i mention this a lot), have the lights go out quick sometimes (Silverstone 2020, Belgium 2020) (so maybe 0.3 seconds) and up to 3 seconds, where we have never seen them go longer. Again, can't be hard to implement and realism is in use.

3. Next, why can't we see the 5 green lights that show during the formation lap, be on whilst live practice and qualifying sessions are underway, just like in real life? You sometimes see in multiplayer lobbies they can be green, but it's literally 'you get what you're given', why can't this be implemented in 'grand prix' or 'career' and all the lights go red when the timer has gone out. I just think these little things would be amazing! Also, why are the lights on the 'backside' of the lights, as if looking from a Turn 1 perspective, both light up red? That's not how it is in real life, again, can't be too difficult to code to just have the 1 lower level red light to show on the 'back side', still with the 2 levels of red lights that show on the 'front side'. Some tracks lights also light up in yellow when a SC is out (I know Russia does this already), but maybe put this on other tracks too? Again, can't be too difficult.

4. I did say I have a fetish and i'm going to be padantic here. Some of the choice of lights on the pole (designs are not quite right) - OCD kicks in, but for example on some tracks we have the little '2' lights at the back, instead of the 5's at the front. For example, some tracks like France and Spain are correct, they have 2 at the back, but others like Bahrain as seen IRL, should have 5 at the back too. We should be imitating the correct ones 🙂 It just looks cooler!

5. Finally, the camera positions. (pictures in below should help explain this) - But when the instant replay/race highlights show, the positions of the the race start cameras where you see the lights just aren't right. Some are (Belgium, Britain, Abu Dhabi, Monaco, Azerbiajan etc), but (Bahrain, Singapore, Russia, Japan etc) just are not correct. Not even close. Give the F1 fans a sense of nostalgia, put the cameras where they are in real life! It would look so much cooler. Big one for me personally 🙂 

PS: In further replies to myself below, i'll include some cameras/recordings of stuff so that it may help covey the message I'm trying to give if it isn't already clear.

F1 Start Light Sequence and Sounds:

We are all fully aware, whoever watches F1 what these are now. I have attached the sound file, these are for every second a new lights come on of course.

Attached is a start light sequence at Belgium 2020 where they went out straight away, and in Imola 2020 where they lasted for a little longer than usual IRL. Maybe codemasters can code into as said in the post above, instead of 0.9-4seconds, maybe 0.2 seconds - 3 seconds

F1 Start Light Camera Positions

Basically, I've tried to find the pictures that represent each track that doesn't need changing. Some in-game cameras are perfect, some are not even close 🙂 Obviously, I will not include Vietnam and China but will include Imola, Portimao. Jeddah I have no clue, but just make it interesting 🙂 And i will put the pictures in next season's F1 calendar order so it would make more sense as this change can't be done in F1 2020 as its too late.

I will put these in a reply below 🙂

F1_Starting_light_sound.mp3

I have tried to categorise the tracks. Real life picture attached meaning F1 hasn't had these tracks in the game for a long time.
All the images of of course the real life ones. Some tracks do not need changing in my personal opinion, some others just need slight adjustments, maybe even zoom out in some cases.
Needs changing means the camera position in-game is completely in the wrong place, or height level, or both.

Race 1: Bahrain (needs changing)
Race 2: Imola (real life picture attached)
Race 3: Portimao (real life picture attached)
Race 4: Spain (needs changing very slightly)
Race 5: Monaco (does not need changing)
Race 6: Azerbaijan (does not need changing)
Race 7: Canada (needs changing very slightly)
Race 8: France (needs changing slightly)
Race 9: Austria (does not need changing)
Race 10: Britain (does not need changing)
Race 11: Hungary (needs changing)
Race 12: Belgium (does not need changing)
Race 13: Netherlands (new track so no clue - still zoom out so we can see all the lights for goodness sake 🙂 )
Race 14: Italy (needs changing a lot)
Race 15: Russia (needs changing)
Race 16: Singapore (needs changing)
Race 17: Japan (needs changing)
Race 18: USA (does not need changing)
Race 19: Mexico (does not need changing)
Race 20: Brazil (changing slightly)
Race 21: Australia (needs changing)
Race 22: Jeddah (new track so no clue, just make it cool and zoomed out somewhere)
Race 23: Abu Dhabi (needs changing very slightly)

Tracks that require change to match real-life:

Bahrain - Imola - Portimao - Spain - Canada - France - Hungary - Netherlands - Italy - Russia - Singapore - Japan - Brazil - Australia - Jeddah - Abu Dhabi

I have attached a google drive with the real life counterparts if anyone or developers want to see, if developers read and try to implement to help what they look like in real life, although they're a little bit blurry, it's easily understandable where the camera is placed, and at what level the zoom is. In other cases like Brazil where the lights are lowered with a pipe, not as high as the game represents. If i can tag all the pictures, that's the end of my idea and i'm open to constructive criticism or positive thoughts but I think this would be cool right?? 🙂

Maybe i have gone too far 😞 - but i think it's cool and i needed to pass my lockdown time somehow 😉 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lyfxMX29QSymrBX4rfCsD62TNjXc84_H?usp=sharing

Alright, that's the end! Good idea? Let me know 🙂❤️

PS: I would value in order of importance in my opinion:

Number 1: Making the start squence 1-5 (1 second each), lights going out between 0.2secs to 3 secs rather than 0.9 to 4.0 and sounds to be correct
Number 2: Camera Positions
Number 3: Green lights and red lights to signal during and END of a practice or quali session like in real life
Number 4: Set of light positions, 2's or 5's at the back of each grand prix as explained in first post.

• 2 weeks later...

If realism is what you want I don't see a reason to add the beep sound every time a light comes on no?

the drivers don't hear it since it's added into the show

I can agree with the timing of the lights coming on and the variety of time it could take for them to go out.
I'm not all in for editing the positioning of the lights, sure someday maybe but that would require editing the map/the models used for the lights which takes time and I'd much rather see them modify the tracks to look more like the way they do right now although as said, it takes time and tracks tend to change overtime.

1 hour ago, Azeck said:

If realism is what you want I don't see a reason to add the beep sound every time a light comes on no?

the drivers don't hear it since it's added into the show

I can agree with the timing of the lights coming on and the variety of time it could take for them to go out.
I'm not all in for editing the positioning of the lights, sure someday maybe but that would require editing the map/the models used for the lights which takes time and I'd much rather see them modify the tracks to look more like the way they do right now although as said, it takes time and tracks tend to change overtime.

This is a very fair statement and I appreciate the pro's and con's. From a 'spectators'' view, we do hear the lights and that was my aimed representation (when talking about the sounds and the positioning of watching the lights 'from a replay perspective' - Thankyou 🙂

Archived