Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Car Performance

Well, this was a controversial topic in the 2020 game, however I want to know what you think.

With pre-testing and 2 race weekend made so far, what are your thoughts in the order of the performance of the cars for the 2021 game?

Here´s mine:

1.  Merc

2. Red Bull

These two preety close to each other and with a big margin for the next ones.

3. McLaren

4. Ferrari

Same as the top two

5.Aston Martin

6.Alpha Tauri

7.Alpine 

8.Alfa Romeo

9.Williams

10.Haas

Well this one is difficult to say at the moments as if you look at the standings the best team outside the top 4 has 7 points and it's Aston Martin. Haas is like 2019 williams so nothing to say about that. Williams looks better and probably pretty close to Alfa Romeo or even ahead of them. Alpine not showing to much and Alpha Tauri looks a little bit better than them despite the unlucky races they are having. Aston Martin looks solid to me in that 5th place but it's still very close to Alpha Tauri.

And you, what's your thoughts?

Bit early I'd say for this but I would suspect even Toto Wolff would put Red Bull ahead of Mercedes at the moment and largely for the same reason Aston Martin would be below Alpha Tauri for me and possibly Alpine as well. The 2021 regs really hurt Mercedes and Aston Martin, more so Aston as they don't seem to have coped with them very well. Mind you we are only 2 races in!

1. Red Bull
2. Mercedes
3. McLaren
4. Ferrari
5. Alpha Tauri
6. Aston Martin
7. Alpine
8. Alfa Romeo
9. Williams
10. Haas

It might be very close between 1+2 where as at the moment it seems the Red Bull car is stronger and so far only Lewis Hamilton assured that they seem equal. The competition between Bottas and Perez might show the cars performance better, than a comparison between the 2 current superstars of F1 / number 1 drivers of these teams. If I had to bet I would say if Red Bull will not make it this year, they never will: Honda engine is very strong (see Alpha Tauri...), they were "ready" right at the first race of the season, plus they had an edge in developing the car during last season versus their rival. So yes, in the end Red Bull will come out on top. Close call though.

The same is valid between 3+4 here as others have already said. Today, McLaren seems slightly ahead, though over the season one might think that Ferrari has a bit more potential to catch up. Their driver lineup might be a tad stronger too, though it does not have an awful lot of experience.

Alpha Tauri is right after the top 4 and once Tsunoda calms down a bit and Gasly finds his optimum again, the teams behind them will have a hard time to come out on top of them. If anything, the drivers of Alpine and Aston Martin might turn out more consistent than the ones at Alpha Tauri. For the time being, their cars are a lot worse though.

Aston Martin seems to have a lot of funds and potential, however they seem to have more trouble to get their low rake car concept going than Mercedes. They also suffered some technical issues in all the testing and race weekends, once they sort these out their Mercedes Engine should give them the edge over Alpine. Short term, Alpine might even get ahead, but I dont suppose that could last long, unless Alonso licks blood and forgets about his real age...

I dont think there is too much difference between Alfa Romeo and Williams now, but as the Alfa drivers are more consistent than Russell and "paydriver" Latifi, so are their cars - Kimi will secure more points than either of them, in an equal car. Williams will also lack the funds to develop the car much further and will fall back during the season.

Haas will take and hold the last spot all year, and we all know. The only excitement there will be the question, how long Mazepin can hold on to a driver seat. If he continues as he started, that wont be long.

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 2

Mercedes has basically closed the gap already. Without the damage at the start of the race, and Hamilton's mistake midrace, he would have won again today. Also, Bottas has been faster than Perez.

I expect Mercedes to continue to get better, too. Wouldn't be surprised if they start dominating again by mid season.

1 hour ago, Schneehase said:

The only excitement there will be the question, how long Mazepin can hold on to a driver seat. If he continues as he started, that wont be long.

Probably all this season, without it Haas has no money, without money Haas is gone. So I don't think he will lose the seat this season. But I hope next season he is gone.

10 hours ago, Tomasslb24 said:

Probably all this season, without it Haas has no money, without money Haas is gone. So I don't think he will lose the seat this season. But I hope next season he is gone.

He doesn’t exactly have the best reputation from his F2 days so it surprised me he got a seat to begin with. But I think we might have a situation similar to Gasly with red bull. 

7 hours ago, cpayne32 said:

He doesn’t exactly have the best reputation from his F2 days so it surprised me he got a seat to begin with. But I think we might have a situation similar to Gasly with red bull. 

If it weren't for daddies money he wouldn't be in F1. I doubt he would have been in F2 even.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1