Jump to content Jump to content

Your list of 7 iconic F1 drivers

I read that the F1 2021 game will come with 7 iconic drivers to use in my team. I’m curious what that list would be. Not including active drivers (Hamilton would have to be in that list since he has 7 titles) my list would include:

1. Senna

2. Schumacher

3. Prost

4. Lauda

5. Fangio

6. Stewart

But then I would pick, not because of his successes but rather his presence in the sport

7. Mansell

I am curious what other would choose.

• Agree 1

Problem being, what is meant by "iconic"?

If we are just counting championships, I am missing drivers like Sir Jack Brabham, Nelson Piquet (3 titles each) in the OP list. However, if you asked about drivers of whom I think they were responsible to "build" the DNA of formula one, then there are some drivers whom you will never find looking for titles only:

• Jochen Rindt (only driver winning the F1 championship post mortem) his nose alone justifies a nomination
  • Gilles Villeneuver what a fearless, ingenious driver he was, sympathic, way before all this commercialization ever happened, and how useless his death was "caused" by german "backmarker" Jochen Mass who was on his inlap in qualifying - "salut Gilles" ❤️
  • Graham Hill the gentleman who won 2 F1 championship titles, but also the Indy500, the 24 hours of LeMans, AND the iconic GP of Monaco, you cannot make a list without that man

And so many more which deserve the word "iconic" many of them never winning a championship Jacky Ickx was 25x on an F1 Podium, won Paris Dakkar and the 24 hours of LeMans, plus the US can am series, Ronnie Peterson who won 10 races out of his 123 starts but was never crowned champion, Carlos Reutteman 12 wins and so many more...

• Agree 1

No Stirling Moss? Never won the Championship but lost one by a point having argued to get his closest rival re-instated after what he felt was an unfair disqualification. Murray Walker always said Jim Clark was the best but I never saw him.

I would agree, Senna, Schumacher, Prost and Lauda . Gilles Villeneuve as well for me and have to put Hamilton on the list. 

Lauda is one of my all time Sporting heroes across all sport. Lost all 3 of my heroes now. Niki, Seve and Ali. 

3 hours ago, peanutt2000 said:

What are you talking about?

It was a very helpful response to my question about what a 'zoomer' was. The clue was my question being quoted :classic_smile:.

11 hours ago, Sector4 said:

Most zoomers don't know any pre-1990 F1 drivers and probably wouldn't care about them even if they were introduced to them.

FWIW I was born in 1977 and honestly am not really familiar with pre-1990 F1 drivers beyond being able to simply name a few. Most people don't watch F1 when they are 5... 

Edited by Ultra3142
9 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

It was a very helpful response to my question about what a 'zoomer' was.

FWIW I was born in 1977 and honestly am not really familiar with pre-1990 F1 drivers beyond being able to simply name a few. Most people don't watch F1 when they are 5... 

1977 , I was almost dead by then, you're only a puppy. The classics thing ( Not Jane Eyre) should be DLC for the 'Boomers' (Not Gears of War) with the 4  tracks (Not of my tears) from F1 2013 and whatever Project Cars 2 tracks that  are relevant re done and nailed to a piece of wood for us geriatrics that were lucky enough to be alive to witness Clint Eastwood sing ' I talk to the trees' ........you puppies do not know what proper entertainment looks and sounds like. James Hunt lighting up a cigarette after a GP win  , Jackie Stewarts side burns ......Ahhhhhh  Baudelaire, ........Long temps , long temps , Le jeux de te cheveux........

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, peanutt2000 said:

Been able to use drivers that have past away or long since retired in my team.

That's a bit ageist and deadist for these times ....they live on in the memory of those lucky enough to have been alive when men were men and a gas fitter from Croydon could afford to enter and run his own F1 team in a Grand Prix.

Personally feel like they’ll be mainly more recent drivers/championship winners.  Would be great to see some more classic drivers like Stewart, Clark, Fangio etc, but my more likely predictions would be something like...

Schumacher, Senna, Prost (as they’ve already been seen in the last two games), Rosberg, Button, Hill, Mansell or possibly Nicki Lauda and James Hunt. Be curious to see who they go with. 

1 hour ago, Exasperated said:

1977 , I was almost dead by then, you're only a puppy.

It's always nice to still be considered young by some :classic_smile:. My point though was that the observation above about the lack of awareness of pre-1990 F1 drivers is probably not restricted to the very young (zoomers, apparently) but rather probably applies to the majority of the player base. 

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Most people don't watch F1 when they are 5... 

I did.

I watched a lot of races in the 70's (born -67) and my favourite was, and always will be, Ronnie Peterson. Noone, before or after, have been able to wrestle an F1 car around a track like he did driving sideways through corners and still faster than everyone else. Biggest natural talent to ever enter the sport and he would have become champion if that tragic accident hadn't happened at Monza.

I'm sure you can hear Button in the trailer, but I could be wrong. 

I could see Rosberg being interested in it. 

Beyond that, who knows? Rough guess, those two plus Alesi, Berger, Schumacher, Senna, & Prost. 

On 4/21/2021 at 3:12 PM, Aef251 said:

I read that the F1 2021 game will come with 7 iconic drivers to use in my team. I’m curious what that list would be. Not including active drivers (Hamilton would have to be in that list since he has 7 titles) my list would include:

1. Senna

2. Schumacher

3. Prost

4. Lauda

5. Fangio

6. Stewart

But then I would pick, not because of his successes but rather his presence in the sport

7. Mansell

I am curious what other would choose.

I would agree with this list and would be the best result