Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Your list of 7 iconic F1 drivers

On 4/21/2021 at 3:38 PM, Liaveil said:

I think Schumacher, Senna and Prost are the most likely for obvious reasons and as well as that they've already got models and helmets for all three. The other four are a bit more tricky. But I'd say that Button and Rosberg have a good chance due to being fairly recent champions who could realistically still be on the grid. As well as that, again, they have the models and helmets from 2016 they can update. 

The final two I could see being Lauda and Hunt.

If not Button and Rosberg, then I agree Mansell could be in, especially since he raced with Prost and Senna and if they all appear in My Team they could potentially race each other again. I'd then say Hill or Hakkinen also have a good chance. 

What would be interesting to know is, do these seven drivers all appear in career on the free driver roster to recruit with their own stats (potentially opening up being able to add our own via driver editor) or will they just be the models that we use for our own avatars.

My list in no particular order

Ayrton Senna

Michael Schumacher

Alain Prost

Juan Manuel Fangio

Jim Clark

Stirling Moss

Niki Lauda

The question with these drivers is whether they will be drivers you can recruit and have their own stats or whether they will just be avatar models, helmets, liveries etc. I assume they will be though.

Schumacher, Senna and Prost are definitely three of the most likely drivers. Obviously they're iconic but theres also the models, helmets and themed customisation are already there from 2019 and 2020.

The others are a bit more tricky. By the sound of it, 80's cars aren't making it this year and being replaced by cars from the 2010's. With that, I'd also assume that any pre 90's drivers are out. 

Fourth and fifth slots I can see as easily being Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg. They're both champions but as well as that, they have driver models and helmets from 2016 they can use and update and they could realistically still be racing so they wouldn't be out of place on the grid. Button's Brawn is already in and his addition could also bring a Brawn themed livery and suit which would be popular. With Rosberg I can definitely see them adding the 2016 Merc as a legendary car.

Sixth and seventh slots I think will be Mansell and Hakkinen. Again, cars are in the game already and they raced with Schumacher, Prost and Senna who are the most likely additions.

Hunt and Lauda in my eyes would come as a pair and I think fit the title, iconic and would be popular additions. However, I'd say they're less likely with the focus being on post 90's classics.

Another thought I had was the drivers from the classic mode in F1 2013 being likely since they've been included previously. I cant remember all of them but that would reinforce the possibility of Hakkinen and Mansell but would mean drivers like Hill, Villeneuve, Alesi and Barrichello all stand a chance.

I can definitely see more drivers being added with dlc later on and can see drivers like Hulkenberg, Magnussen and other recent drivers being added later. Hopefully it paves the way for adding our own drivers by allowing us to give our custom avatars AI stats.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:19 AM, Lakrits said:

I did.

I watched a lot of races in the 70's (born -67) and my favourite was, and always will be, Ronnie Peterson. Noone, before or after, have been able to wrestle an F1 car around a track like he did driving sideways through corners and still faster than everyone else. Biggest natural talent to ever enter the sport and he would have become champion if that tragic accident hadn't happened at Monza.

Yes, a true talent, I feel the same way about Gilles Villeneuve.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, Sector4 said:

Schumacher

Senna

Prost

Button

N. Rosberg

Hakkinen

Mansell

Most zoomers don't know any pre-1990 F1 drivers and probably wouldn't care about them even if they were introduced to them. MAYBE small amount of them know about Lauda and Hunt if they've seen Rush but that's about it.

There's a reason why every pre-1988 classic car was removed from the game between F1 2019 and F1 2020.

Zoomer :classic_biggrin: I have to remember that.  Change of subject Would JB (Jenson Button) or Nando (Fernando Alonso) not fall into this equation of legendary drivers?

31 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Change of subject Would JB (Jenson Button) or Nando (Fernando Alonso) not fall into this equation of legendary drivers?

The new game would be pretty broken if Alsonso wasn't in it already :classic_biggrin:.

I too have a feeling it will be drivers from the 90s era onwards. I'd go with Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Michael Schumacher (have already acquired licences), then Mika Hakkinen, Nigel Mansell, Jacques Villeneuve, and the final place is a toss up between Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg

4 minutes ago, RickPhotosphere said:

I too have a feeling it will be drivers from the 90s era onwards. I'd go with

What about Damon Hill then, or Jean Alesi, David Coulthard, maybe Gerhard Berger to name a Ferrari driver as well?

Iconic to me is not just looking into results, but character and driving style as well. When it comes to that, I’m surprised not seeing the likes of James Hunt or Jackie Stewart being mentioned.

So my iconic list would be:

Senna

Schumacher

Hunt

Stewart

Mansell

Prost

Lauda

Honorable mentions for Villeneuve and Piquet

On 4/28/2021 at 6:56 AM, BarryB said:

Iconic to me is not just looking into results, but character and driving style as well. When it comes to that, I’m surprised not seeing the likes of James Hunt or Jackie Stewart being mentioned.

So my iconic list would be:

Senna

Schumacher

Hunt

Stewart

Mansell

Prost

Lauda

Honorable mentions for Villeneuve and Piquet

I watched Piquet win his 3 titles, yet somehow he never registers with me as an “icon”. I put Fangio in only because of what I read about him since I never saw him drive over Hunt. Hunt gained greater stature in my heart as half of the commentary duo wit the legendary Murray Walker. When I hear F1 in my head, they’re the commentators.

6 minutes ago, Aef251 said:

I watched Piquet win his 3 titles, yet somehow he never registers with me as an “icon”. I put Fangio in only because of what I read about him since I never saw him drive over Hunt. Hunt gained greater stature in my heart as half of the commentary duo wit the legendary Murray Walker. When I hear F1 in my head, they’re the commentators.

Fair points there and of course it’s all personal. Piquet is in my list because of the combination of achieved results, off the track behavior, as he was an “enjoyer of life”, but a bit less prominent as Hunt, but his children with many different women explain a lot, as well bringing forth more Piquet’s on the track.

Not all of these are iconic drivers of the sport but i think this drivers have a good chance to be in the game:
- M Schumacher
- Senna
- Prost
- Rosberg
- Button
- Hakkinen
-  Montoya or maybe Lauda

Edited by delange93
55 minutes ago, BarryB said:

Keke i assume? As he basically paved the way for other Finnish drivers.

I would like it to be Keke but i Think Nico will be more likely as hes the last driver to date to beat Lewis.... And he is an easy target for codies i think as he was in the game before..

58 minutes ago, delange93 said:

I would like it to be Keke but i Think Nico will be more likely as hes the last driver to date to beat Lewis.... And he is an easy target for codies i think as he was in the game before..

Plus he could realistically still be racing so he wouldn't look out of place in game. One of the big reasons I think him and Button will be two of them.

I know Fangio, Lauda, Stewart, Senna they are all legends, but i wasn't born when they had their biggest time, so for me i will rate my top 7 drivers from the time i started watching f1.

Michael Schumacher
Sebastian Vettel
Lewis Hamilton
Fernando Alonso
Mika Hakkinen
Jacques Villeneuve
Kimi Raikkonen

34 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

I know Fangio, Lauda, Stewart, Senna they are all legends, but i wasn't born when they had their biggest time, so for me i will rate my top 7 drivers from the time i started watching f1.

Michael Schumacher
Sebastian Vettel
Lewis Hamilton
Fernando Alonso
Mika Hakkinen
Jacques Villeneuve
Kimi Raikkonen

Good list but 4 of those drivers are choices already

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah but... will we be able to disable them if we want a realistic career?

I don't wanna see Raikkonen retiring and AI teams getting Schumi or Prost if I'm trying to do a realistic career