Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

FOV calculator for F1 2020

Hi

I’m new to sim racing and F1 2020.. I understand that setting the correct FOV can improve the drive ability of the car.. I can’t seem to find an FOV calculator specifically for F1 2020.. does anyone have a link to one?

24 minutes ago, Lee77uk said:

I’m new to sim racing and F1 2020.. I understand that setting the correct FOV can improve the drive ability of the car.. I can’t seem to find an FOV calculator specifically for F1 2020.. does anyone have a link to one?

I'm not really sure how you could 'calculate' this as it's basically a personal preference thing. If you search on YouTube or elsewhere for camera settings you'll find some examples to try.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'm not really sure how you could 'calculate' this as it's basically a personal preference thing. If you search on YouTube or elsewhere for camera settings you'll find some examples to try.

There’re calculators for other games, so I wondered if there was one for this... It’s a calculation of screen size and shape, distance from screen, each driving game seems to have a different calculation 

like this.. https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

Edited by Lee77uk
Just now, Lee77uk said:

There’re calculators for other games, so I wondered if there was one for this... It’s a calculation of screen size, distance from screen, each driving game seems to have a different calculation 

Ah, that's something a little different from what I had in mind I think :classic_smile:. I've never seen one for F1 2020, possibly because there are such a huge range of camera settings possible.

Ultimately I still think this comes down to personal preference rather than a single clearly optimal set of settings to go with.

Mmmh, what screen size and resolution do you have / run? Maybe provide this information and we exchange our data and start from there? Which camera position do you prefer to drive in - I think it is very different depending on if you use the cockpit camera, or not. Also, if your screen is very big, or very wide, FOV is not the only data that is interesting, as you will move your focus and / or your head from the road to the mirrors, in one or the other way. E.g. I am driving from cockpit camera in 3440*1440 wide, and while my (curved) monitor does also show the car mirrors, there is no way I could focus on all of these at once. There often is critique versus this setup from people who have a non-wide screen and look at these videos, as they do not get the same impression that i get driving about 70-80cm in front of my screen. As you correctly mentioned, screen size and distance of you watching are 2 important factors.

A correct FOV is fairly important. If it's set all wrong you won't get the sense of where to brake and such. I drove for a long time without adjusting FOV but after I did that my laptimes improved a lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
5 minutes ago, Lakrits said:

A correct FOV is fairly important. If it's set all wrong you won't get the sense of where to brake and such. I drove for a long time without adjusting FOV but after I did that my laptimes improved a lot.

How is 'correct' defined then?

1 hour ago, Lakrits said:

I've used this fov calculator and it worked charms for me.

Thanks for the link, this is probably what the OP was looking for. Just out of curiosity, I have typed in my stats and this is what it suggests, I will report back how far off / how close this is to my current "feelgood" settings. There is no setting for curved / flat displays, which may make quite a difference though (i am on a 1500R curved, e.g.).

FOV F1 2020.jpg

Edited by Schneehase
35 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Not sure how to measure "distance to screen" correctly - my eyes to mid of panel? Thats more like 90 cm I d say.

I measured to the center and to the edge and took an average.

hmmm, I tried Monaco free practice with -0,70 FOV. I didnt make it around the course, I cant drive that way lol. Need to be able to slightly turn my head and look into a mirror. The suggested setting from the calculator gives me the impression to sit "in front" of the mirrors, the hands on my screen appear bigger than my real hands on the steering wheel in front of me. It might be a matter of getting used to, but I did drive over 30tkm in F1 2020 with mirrors visible (roughly a FOV of +0,30 to +0,35), and wouldnt finish a race with a setting of -0,70. Might try on a different circut though, before I was to judge.

I guess it varies from person to person of course, and if you've really gotten used to something it's hard to change. For me it made a huge positive difference, my awareness increased a lot. Downside is of course that the mirrors are hard to see, at least in cockpit cam.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, Schneehase said:

hmmm, I tried Monaco free practice with -0,70 FOV. I didnt make it around the course, I cant drive that way lol. Need to be able to slightly turn my head and look into a mirror. The suggested setting from the calculator gives me the impression to sit "in front" of the mirrors, the hands on my screen appear bigger than my real hands on the steering wheel in front of me. It might be a matter of getting used to, but I did drive over 30tkm in F1 2020 with mirrors visible (roughly a FOV of +0,30 to +0,35), and wouldnt finish a race with a setting of -0,70. Might try on a different circut though, before I was to judge.

I use the -70 as according to calculater, it takes a few sessions but I found I am way more consistent though my best lap time is a bit slower than tv cam but I think my averages are better. Also once u get use to holding your line when needed using the prox arrows which u will need since u can’t see side mirrors at all, u will make way less serious errors. I also have halo off since irl u would not see nearly as much with your binocular vision. I also use mini map only for if I spin off track I won’t cut in front of and get hit by car I can’t see coming. I hide the part of the hud that has the number etc and use the steering wheel for the info instead

Also I max out look to apex at 15degrees, on single screen with correct fov u can’t see apexes on some tracks. The cota short for example. With this setting I can see the apexes, like turning my head to look at. It does take a little getting used to though. If I ever can afford triples or vr it may not be needed

Guys do you still talk about Mario Kart Tv cam …….

Sorry / but the this discussion is useless 

Personally I still do not get the point to drive a any race sim not in cockpit view ?????

The timediffetent However is still up to 5 /100 when I drive TV-cam vs cockpit 

But still - cockpit cockpit cockpit view is the real stuff ……👍😎🤣😂

Guys - don’t get me wrong 

• Disagree 6
25 minutes ago, Shark2Racing said:

Guys do you still talk about Mario Kart Tv cam …….

Sorry / but the this discussion is useless 

Personally I still do not get the point to drive a any race sim not in cockpit view ?????

The timediffetent However is still up to 5 /100 when I drive TV-cam vs cockpit 

But still - cockpit cockpit cockpit view is the real stuff ……👍😎🤣😂

Guys - don’t get me wrong 

Sorry, but your attitude stinks.

There’s no right or wrong way to play these games. Some use cockpit cam, others use t-cam, others use chase cam (I did when I first starting playing F1 games in the early 2000’s).

It’s just like the hardware people use. Some will have extensive rigs, some will have a cheaper wheel and stand setup while some use a pad (I fall into this category but planning to get a wheel soon).

It’s this elitist attitude that can put newcomers off from getting involved. Just because you play the game a certain way, it doesn’t mean everyone has to.

• Agree 6
10 minutes ago, DJNicks87 said:

It’s this elitist attitude that can put newcomers off from getting involved. Just because you play the game a certain way, it doesn’t mean everyone has to.

Spot on mate. Everyone is free to enjoy the game how they like

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 3
15 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

Sorry, but your attitude stinks.

There’s no right or wrong way to play these games. Some use cockpit cam, others use t-cam, others use chase cam (I did when I first starting playing F1 games in the early 2000’s).

It’s just like the hardware people use. Some will have extensive rigs, some will have a cheaper wheel and stand setup while some use a pad (I fall into this category but planning to get a wheel soon).

Everyone has an opinion , and that is yours, Unfortunately not everyone agrees with you.

9 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Everyone has an opinion , and that is yours, Unfortunately not everyone agrees with you.

Not expecting everyone to agree with me, just like I don’t expect everyone to play the games in the same way as me 🙂