Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Thrustmaster SF1000 owners, Rim Key Bindings and some lack of customisation plus possible bug

got my new Thrustmaster SF 1000 F1 rim and got to use it in F1 2020 and have come across 2 things 1 of which which could do with with being changed if not for F1 2020 then certainly need to be done for F1 2021.

if you have this rim and have similar problems  please post as the more info can help get the issues fixed.

so 1st thing -

on pc there is some lack of customisation with regards to key bindings with the new Thrustmaster SF1000 rim in particular when you are using multiple devices for example a wheelbase and separate pedals in my case Thrustmaster TX wheelbase with SF1000 Rim and fanatec csl elite loadcell pedals, i am wanting to bind the clutch to one of the analogue clutch paddles on the rim and have the second as a mappable button however the game will and wont allow this. i have the switch which changes the clutch modes on the rim to position 2 which gives me 1 clutch paddle as an axis and the other as a mapable button

so the default profile for Thrustmaster advanced racer has throttle and brake already mapped to the clutch paddles (the rim allows this and is a feature for it) and when i create a custom controller scheme i am unable to unbind these inputs to be able to map  one of paddles as a clutch like i want i have to map both the throttle and brake to the 2nd paddle, not what i want but is the only way i can use the custom mapping like i want it is physically impossible to save the controller scheme with no throttle and brake mapped, i have separate pedals which deal with the throttle and brake for me but as they are a different device.

i am able to map the fanatec pedal inputs in the advanced racer input however the axis inputs are also the same as the wheelbase axis inputs so this doesn't work, this could be a limitation due to the number of axis controllers can have but the best solution i can see is to simple allow throttle and brakes to not be a required mapping  

this "issue" has been present in 2019 and 2020 with other devices but hasn't been as much of an issue to me until now, previously i was using the same wheelbase and pedals but with the older f1 rim and even then some key bindings cannot be changed or unbinded when not needed

i will see if i can remove the binding from the file(s) from the action maps folder by editing a file in notepad++ 

2nd thing-

the game appears to be re enable the default thrustmaster advanced racer profile meaning i can at times have 2 profiles enabled for the same device the default and my own custom scheme, this causes the FFB to stop working and i have to disable the profile for FFB to work again.

@BarryBL @steviejay69 this 2nd point could be a bug and i will fill out a proper bug report below here over this weekend if i can 100% duplicate the issue, i am going to try deleting the controller config file and start fresh with my mappings etc 1st but its what i have found on my 1st couple of hours with the new rim

Edited by cearp8858
20 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

got my new Thrustmaster SF 1000 F1 rim and got to use it in F1 2020 and have come across 2 things 1 of which which could do with with being changed if not for F1 2020 then certainly need to be done for F1 2021.

if you have this rim and have similar problems  please post as the more info can help get the issues fixed.

so 1st thing -

on pc there is some lack of customisation with regards to key bindings with the new Thrustmaster SF1000 rim in particular when you are using multiple devices for example a wheelbase and separate pedals in my case Thrustmaster TX wheelbase with SF1000 Rim and fanatec csl elite loadcell pedals, i am wanting to bind the clutch to one of the analogue clutch paddles on the rim and have the second as a mappable button however the game will and wont allow this. i have the switch which changes the clutch modes on the rim to position 2 which gives me 1 clutch paddle as an axis and the other as a mapable button

so the default profile for Thrustmaster advanced racer has throttle and brake already mapped to the clutch paddles (the rim allows this and is a feature for it) and when i create a custom controller scheme i am unable to unbind these inputs to be able to map  one of paddles as a clutch like i want i have to map both the throttle and brake to the 2nd paddle, not what i want but is the only way i can use the custom mapping like i want it is physically impossible to save the controller scheme with no throttle and brake mapped, i have separate pedals which deal with the throttle and brake for me but as they are a different device.

i am able to map the fanatec pedal inputs in the advanced racer input however the axis inputs are also the same as the wheelbase axis inputs so this doesn't work, this could be a limitation due to the number of axis controllers can have but the best solution i can see is to simple allow throttle and brakes to not be a required mapping  

this "issue" has been present in 2019 and 2020 with other devices but hasn't been as much of an issue to me until now, previously i was using the same wheelbase and pedals but with the older f1 rim and even then some key bindings cannot be changed or unbinded when not needed

2nd thing-

the game appears to be re enable the default thrustmaster advanced racer profile meaning i can at times have 2 profiles enabled for the same device the default and my own custom scheme, this causes the FFB to stop working and i have to disable the profile for FFB to work again.

@BarryBL @steviejay69 this 2nd point could be a bug and i will fill out a proper bug report below here over this weekend if i can 100% duplicate the issue, i am going to try deleting the controller config file and start fresh with my mappings etc 1st but its what i have found on my 1st couple of hours with the new rim

Thanks for that , you just saved me a stack of money.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

Thanks for that , you just saved me a stack of money.

everything works on the rim and i am sure the points i make are just teething issues as it is brand new and is for sure worth the money, if it wasnt for the fact of wanting to change the key bindings and just used the default profile as is then i am sure i would have 0 issues 

some key bindings cant be changed on any device used so its not just this rim its the way the game forces or mandates some bindings have to be used or not allowing some to be changed 

Edited by cearp8858
  • Like 1

where are the custom controller profiles stored? the files in my documents/mygames/f1 2020 are related to graphics or hardware configuration only nothing for controllers, nothing in the install directory for the game relates to custom controller profiles only default profiles and looking in steam/userdata/<user-id>/1080110 also doesn't look to be for controller profiles

2 hours ago, cearp8858 said:

where are the custom controller profiles stored? the files in my documents/mygames/f1 2020 are related to graphics or hardware configuration only nothing for controllers, nothing in the install directory for the game relates to custom controller profiles only default profiles and looking in steam/userdata/<user-id>/1080110 also doesn't look to be for controller profiles

I don't know. You are right that the controller default profiles are in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\f1 2020\action maps

6 hours ago, cearp8858 said:

so i have made and tested a work around by editing the default controller profile in the games install directory with notepad++, i made a back up of the original file  just in case.

-  the rim needs the clutch paddle switch to be in position 1 so teh paddles act as teh throttle and brake inputs.

- i removed all reference to throttle and brake in the .xml config file 

- added the left paddle which is Y axis as the clutch 

- then saved 

the game thinks it is just a default controller profile for the device and when checking you can see the throttle and brake input from the clutch paddles are both unbinded only down side is to make changes to the other buttons that would need to be done by editing the file as the game makes it mandatory where the throttle and brake cannot be unbinded  but it works how i want it to in game 

would be nice if for f1 2021 the way key or button bindings can be changed where some things can be made to not be needed to have buttons assigned especially for those with multiple devices being used

Make a backup of your edited file as a Steam verify game files will replace the actionmap with the original.

16 hours ago, cearp8858 said:

2nd thing-

This does sound like a bug. Obviously as the wheel is so new, few will have it. It would be very useful to have it documented. Unless of course, you have kept a copy of the original file as well as the edited one in the actionmaps directory?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Make a backup of your edited file as a Steam verify game files will replace the actionmap with the original.

This does sound like a bug. Obviously as the wheel is so new, few will have it. It would be very useful to have it documented. Unless of course, you have kept a copy of the original file as well as the edited one in the actionmaps directory?

Yes i will do this ofc, i will upload a copy here of the edited file too, for the workaround to work you can only have 1 file in the directory.

Edited by cearp8858
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

Yes i will do this ofc, i will upload a copy here of the edited file too, for the workaround to work you can only have 1 file in the directory.

Filename semantics - I believe the file is selected as a default if the information in it is matched to the Controller ID. So you could rename a map and it *might* be detected still.

e.g. controller1.xml and controller1.xml won't work as two files can't share a filename. controller1.xml and controller1.old might not work because the file is ignored as not being .xml and controller1.xml and controller1mod.xml might not pick up the mod as the first file but controlldr1.xml and controller1.xml might detect both as the Controller ID is the same?

I should add I've not attempted to mod anything yet 🙂

Posted (edited)

thrustmaster_advanced_racer.xml

this is the file i modified
modified.thumb.PNG.14fd499d48f673debd1939f3c6825815.PNG

below is the defaultdefault.thumb.PNG.2a598857a15cdd15e833bec0e75347f5.PNG

15 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Filename semantics - I believe the file is selected as a default if the information in it is matched to the Controller ID. So you could rename a map and it *might* be detected still.

e.g. controller1.xml and controller1.xml won't work as two files can't share a filename. controller1.xml and controller1.old might not work because the file is ignored as not being .xml and controller1.xml and controller1mod.xml might not pick up the mod as the first file but controlldr1.xml and controller1.xml might detect both as the Controller ID is the same?

I should add I've not attempted to mod anything yet 🙂

i don't have time atm to check but i will check later this evening and see if it's possible to have 2 files 1 with a different name 

modified.PNG

Edited by cearp8858
  • Thanks 1

@cearp8858 Looks like the remark answers the question - To ensure the use of this data map make sure the file name is valid in the dictionary file

20 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

thrustmaster_advanced_racer.xml

this is the file i modified
modified.thumb.PNG.14fd499d48f673debd1939f3c6825815.PNG

below is the defaultdefault.thumb.PNG.2a598857a15cdd15e833bec0e75347f5.PNG

i don't have time atm to check but i will check later this evening and see if it's possible to have 2 files 1 with a different name 

modified.PNG

Hi guys, off the back of your issue, I have a similar one where when setting the angle of rotation in the TM control panel to 180 and then applying with the SF1000 rim then when going into the game it is immediately set back to 360 when you select the "Thrustmaster Advanced " control scheme. Have you experienced this at all?

Cheers