Jump to content Jump to content

More HDR-friendly text/menu brightness

Just wanted to share this since I recently got a new TV and got to experience F1 2020 in HDR for the first time. 

While the on-track gameplay looks great in HDR, the menus/text are often a pure white against a dark background. This normally isn't an issue in SDR, but with HDR the text is displayed at maximum brightness (you can't change this on the TV as it reduces the HDR effect during gameplay) and things like the setup/garage screen text become painful to read and very eye straining.

Other games seem to manage this better by taking the HDR into account for the menu design, so I was hoping something can be implemented for F1 2021 to make the text and menus in HDR more pleasant to read.

Maybe you can consider something like a menu toggle or brightness slider for text alone in the graphics settings, or adjust the HDR text brightness automatically, but any solution would be welcome.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

Just wanted to share this since I recently got a new TV and got to experience F1 2020 in HDR for the first time. 

While the on-track gameplay looks great in HDR, the menus/text are often a pure white against a dark background. This normally isn't an issue in SDR, but with HDR the text is displayed at maximum brightness (you can't change this on the TV as it reduces the HDR effect during gameplay) and things like the setup/garage screen text become painful to read and very eye straining.

Other games seem to manage this better by taking the HDR into account for the menu design, so I was hoping something can be implemented for F1 2021 to make the text and menus in HDR more pleasant to read.

Maybe you can consider something like a menu toggle or brightness slider for text alone in the graphics settings, or adjust the HDR text brightness automatically, but any solution would be welcome.

I thought it was me or my TV/PS5 combination. I've calibrated my HDR perfectly and text (especially white text and letters) is definitely way too bright.

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

Do you have particular game screens in mind? I've not noticed an issue myself but I may not have seen the same ones.

Loading/editing a setup from the garage is a good example. The background is dark and the text white in full HDR peak brightness, it's actually hard to read without squinting.

Just now, Worntoathread said:

Loading/editing a setup from the garage is a good example. The background is dark and the text white in full HDR peak brightness, it's actually hard to read without squinting.

I've loaded setups on PS5 without noticing an issue but I probably haven't edited one. I'll have a look later.