F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Turkey in F1 2021

Posted (edited)

What I dont get is people consistently claiming how little time was left for the new game and how hard it was to implement circuits. Look back a year instead? Developers could have released a payed DLC with the missing 2020 tracks for F1 2020 (kind of the same way they are planning with the later release of tracks this year, anyway), and meanwhile it is 3/4 of a year back that it was known tracks like Imola etc. would be driven IRL in 2020. Not only would a payed DLC have raised the funds needed to implement 3 more tracks later on, but by now it would already be done, the "official" F1 2020 game would have been completed, and the track data could even be used for upcoming iterations of the game. And now tell me making up cosmetic items for season pass was more important and brought more funds over the last year... Other developers are doing this all time with track addons, and if a big gaming company would not be able to add 3 circuits within 3/4 of a year, you must wonder how they were able to release annual iterations of the game back to back all 12 months anyway.

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Besides, as long as there is no official confirmation by the developers, which circuits they will release "later" for 2021,

The game launch info. is fairly clear, and I'm sure will remain accurate since arguably people have pre-ordered on the basis of it being so. Any inclusion of Turkey would need to be additional and to be honest this seems very unlikely to me, although obviously a very nice bonus if it did :classic_smile:.

• Agree 2

I really want to see Turkey back on the F1 games so much, but i'm afraid as i've seen other comments here that it's too late for that at the moment. But you never know, fingers crossed.

• Agree 1

It would be awesome, but unlikely. There's a lot more going into track creation in games that we never get to see, or realise - stuff that takes time.

• Agree 4

iirc, CM bought the laser scan data for Zandvoort from the ACC devs... and then did their thing with everything else.

Wondering if it's possible to do the same thing again, with whomever has the data for Istanbul, and maybe mitigate some of the development time... and MAYBE get it into the game at a later date.

For what it's worth, while I'm disappointed that Istanbul will likely not see the light of day in the game... I'm more than happy with having Imola and Portimao.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BankaiBullett said:

iirc, CM bought the laser scan data for Zandvoort from the ACC devs

But ACC doesn't have the banked version of Zandvoort, though. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, THEHAMZAGAMER12 said:

So yeah this tweet from Tiametmarduk, confirming turkey WONT be in the game, so i think now is the appropriate time to close this topic @BarryBL3D02AF44-1EF5-408B-9B2E-20F0A39C1567.thumb.png.883b6e45f8704c71370b3c3a3fd1743b.png

Until it's confirmed by codemasters this is just speculative information or fake news for the time being.

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BankaiBullett said:

iirc, CM bought the laser scan data for Zandvoort from the ACC devs... and then did their thing with everything else.

Wondering if it's possible to do the same thing again, with whomever has the data for Istanbul, and maybe mitigate some of the development time... and MAYBE get it into the game at a later date.

For what it's worth, while I'm disappointed that Istanbul will likely not see the light of day in the game... I'm more than happy with having Imola and Portimao.

No, they got the laser scan data from the circuit or the company that built it but it was slightly inaccurate compared to what the track ended up being like. 

On 4/28/2021 at 2:19 PM, Nightfire1964 said:

I would rather they just carry on focusing making sure there are no bugs and they try not to crunch. 

Agreed. The less bugs on launch, the better.  I can live without Turkey (for now) as long as the game is being polished.

• Disagree 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, DrDraken said:

Agreed. The less bugs on launch, the better.  I can live without Turkey (for now) as long as the game is being polished.

No way. We can’t have an ‘official’ game where we can’t race the actual tracks 2 years running.

Last year was bad enough, but as someone else has said they could have been working on Imola, Portimao and Istanbul for the best part of a year now. They should be added as an update to F1 2020 and included in F1 2021.

4 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

No way. We can’t have an ‘official’ game where we can’t race the actual tracks 2 years running.

Last year was bad enough, but as someone else has said they could have been working on Imola, Portimao and Istanbul for the best part of a year now. They should be added as an update to F1 2020 and included in F1 2021.

They could have worked on the tracks / yeah

Instead they work on a ******** Drama Rama Story Mode ....

Sorry - the license shoul go somewhere else !

2 minutes ago, Shark2Racing said:

They could have worked on the tracks / yeah

Instead they work on a ******** Drama Rama Story Mode ....

Sorry - the license shoul go somewhere else !

Actually they are working on 3 tracks rn. 😉

• Like 1

So, in many other games or genres developers times release their development tools to public, sometimes way after release of a game. I would really love to see what the community could come up with in what timeframe, if we only had some track building tool that would allow us to import circuits we created ourselves.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, kalamazoo123 said:

I assume you realise Portimao and Imola will be added as free DLC to F1 2021 at some point post-launch? The chances of you getting Istanbul are slim though from what Tiametmarduk reported on Twitter.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Disagree 1

On 4/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, HDR10 said:

But ACC doesn't have the banked version of Zandvoort, though. 

On 4/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, Sector4 said:

No, they got the laser scan data from the circuit or the company that built it but it was slightly inaccurate compared to what the track ended up being like. 

So presumable, nobody had got around to scanning the banks yet... because they were new... which meant they got the pre-bank version of an otherwise accurate track.

Of course I'm not a dev and correct me if I'm wrong, but that still meant a good portion of the track didn't really need touching, saving work and spending that on parts that needed it.

Also... Imola, Portimao and Istanbul haven't had any big changes as far as I'm aware, so pulling in the data again and cutting some of the work down might not be such a bad idea 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

The chances of you getting Istanbul are slim though

imho you forfait rights to call this game series "official" once you are not adding a track which has been driven in the championship for more than one year. I can see a developer skipping a track which jumps in only once due to the pandemic etc., but who knows Turkey might be driven a 3rd time in 2022 and then what?

8 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

imho you forfait rights to call this game series "official" once you are not adding a track which has been driven in the championship for more than one year. I can see a developer skipping a track which jumps in only once due to the pandemic etc., but who knows Turkey might be driven a 3rd time in 2022 and then what?

If Turkey will be on the officially released F1 calendar for 2022 and the contracts will be written up between the publishers, game developers, sanctioning body (FIA), Liberty Media, and the rest of the stakeholders that the official game must include it, then I can guarantee you 100% that Istanbul Park will be in the game. And if Turkey will be dropped at some point after the that agreement is signed, I also guarantee you that it will remain in the game.
Some of you don't realize that adding and removing a track is not a simple task. Beyond the coding, there is legal and license agreements involved that requires time and work to accomplish and revise and takes both parties to reach agreement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Liberty Media and the FIA currently has MUCH higher priorities with the ever changing travel, government, health restrictions that may disrupt the pre-planned season, than running to Codemaster's HQ with a newly revised contract on what the game must have.

Also, at this stage of the game development, it is almost a finished product and the focus begins on testing, polishing and revising the code to make sure the game launches with the least amount of bugs. Even though the game has a solid code baseline from the previous year, it is still a gargantuan task and I completely understand why the 3 new tracks in this year will be added later in the year to the game.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Turkey has been added as a very short notice replacement for Canada being cancelled. I don't see what difference it makes that it also ended up in the rearranged 2020 season.

I would also personally miss Canada if it were removed from the new game.

What I'm most concerned about is how long we'll need to wait for the new tracks we are getting in F1 2021, and how the race calendars in game will deal with this.

Edited by Ultra3142

Thinking about it what race calendar are we going to get in F1 2021 if Portugal and San Marino won't be added till later on in the year ? 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ragequit1 said:

If Turkey will be on the officially released F1 calendar for 2022 and the contracts will be written up between the publishers, game developers, sanctioning body (FIA), Liberty Media, and the rest of the stakeholders that the official game must include it, then I can guarantee you 100% that Istanbul Park will be in the game. And if Turkey will be dropped at some point after the that agreement is signed, I also guarantee you that it will remain in the game.
Some of you don't realize that adding and removing a track is not a simple task. Beyond the coding, there is legal and license agreements involved that requires time and work to accomplish and revise and takes both parties to reach agreement.

Not saying this quote was not true, but you can look at it in another way as well:

It has now been the 2nd consecutive year, where the official F1 calendar is what it is, and in the end we have a championship with an insecure total number of races on tracks that are somewhat unexpected. So far, so spicy. Chances are, this might go on in 2022 or even in years to come.

Why not implement this mechanic into the game: As a player you are picking a championship of 22 races out of a pool of 28 tracks. The game randomizes the championship for you in a way, that 3-6 of these races are not being held, with 2-4 of them being held on different tracks out of the pool Imola, Portimao, Bahrain short and so on. That would be super realistic - sure, on the other hand you would have to do a few tracks. But can we let aside that ongoing argument how complicated life / pandemic / making tracks is, for a moment please? That is just repeated over and over again, and honestly, that affects any person on the planet at the moment and is nothing a player / buyer has to tell a developer (ask someone who has been running a business during these last 2 years). Rather spend a second thinking how complicated it was for the IRL promotors of F1 at the moment:

As far as legal concerns go, dont you think that is a lot more complicated IRL to "just" have a circuit step in during the year and hold a race? Legal, TV contracts, track safety, advertising, and so on... And still the F1 promoter / FIA manage(d) to do this. I would assume a game developer has his legal stuff solved with a single or max 2 contracts with the FIA and with the F1 promoter (see the footer on the F1 2020 game website), everything else would be completely impractical to do. They do for sure not have agreements with any of the track promotors directly. As long as any race on any track is an official F1 race, I dont suppose they would have any legal issue to implement this track into the "official" game. There might be other issues, like the contract stating which quality of the track was required, though. May some Codemaster stuff prove this wrong, but please stop the speculations about legal. Why should they hinder us players to express what would be awesome to see / to have in the (future) game?

As of Turkey not being on the official calendar of the FIA when released, that is perfectly clear and cannot be our subject of discussion here.

Just the 2 cents of a little white hare, ofc. 😄 

10 hours ago, ragequit1 said:

Liberty Media and the FIA currently has MUCH higher priorities with the ever changing travel, government, health restrictions that may disrupt the pre-planned season, than running to Codemaster's HQ with a newly revised contract on what the game must have.

Also, at this stage of the game development, it is almost a finished product and the focus begins on testing, polishing and revising the code to make sure the game launches with the least amount of bugs. Even though the game has a solid code baseline from the previous year, it is still a gargantuan task and I completely understand why the 3 new tracks in this year will be added later in the year to the game.

Then again, between February 2020 and February 2021, Assetto Corsa Competizione got 8 new tracks released as paid DLC (Donington Park, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Imola, Bathurst, Suzuka, Laguna Seca, Kyalami). Would have gotten Magny-Cours, too, if it wasn't for travel restrictions. 

All laser scanned, made by a company that has 30 employees compared to the 700 people working at Codemasters and nobody can honestly say that they are significantly inferior to the tracks in F1 games. Some might even say that they are superior. 

Em8SLmmWEAA10Yl.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sector4 said:

hen again, between February 2020 and February 2021, Assetto Corsa Competizione got 8 new tracks released as paid DLC (Donington Park, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Imola, Bathurst, Suzuka, Laguna Seca, Kyalami). Would have gotten Magny-Cours, too, if it wasn't for travel restrictions. 

All laser scanned, made by a company that has 30 employees compared to the 700 people working at Codemasters and nobody can honestly say that they are significantly inferior to the tracks in F1 games. Some might even say that they are superior. 

What makes you confident all of these tracks were made from scratch in a short period of time. A 30s Google shows that Suzuka was in AC (not ACC) in 2018 for example. I'm not saying other games haven't added new tracks with apparent speed/ease but I have a feeling you may be underselling the work involved here.

• Agree 1

700 staff aren't solely working on tracks for an unreleased game. It's most likely a similar number of people. DLC is also completely different since that is the sole focus and not the rest of the game as well.

They also havent had a full year, they've had since the tracks were announced on the calendar which wasn't long ago. Say what you like about them being raced at last year, but they weren't on this years calendar originally so there wasn't reason to work on them. Or are they expected to preemptively add a bunch of tracks just in case they might get included while getting additional licensing for them, since they wouldn't be included in the 2021 licensing?

The track discussions all seem to go the same, wrong way. It doesnt matter if it takes long, or if work is involved or not. All these statements are either speculation, incomplete or false. None other than company staff knows how many people there work on what, knows what the budget is and so on. That is all empty discussions and speculations. It matters though, if you would like to see track a or track b in the game, if it is not in yet. Why bother with the issues the developer has, from the POV of a buyer / player?