Jump to content Jump to content

WET TRACK CONDITION (e.g. IMOLA 2021)


FIE

Recommended Posts

An open discussion about the state of a track under wet weather conditions in F1 games compared to reality.
As we saw with the latest example of Imola, wet weather conditions are more profound than those shown in the official videogame.
I drove several 100% races, started in wet up to dry conditions in F12020.

I had to find out that the virtual weather system is poor. In F12020 the view is far too clear on a wet track, because there is not enough spray when you drive behind another car. 
Would be great to get more spray and realism on this point. I miss the unpredictable weather at different points along the track. Different strengths of rainfalls / showers along the track would give the game more realism. The drivers often report on team radio that it is starting to rain in certain parts of the track. But in F12020 the rain is falling all over evenly, which is not entirely realistic.

Another point is the predictability of drying track. It stops raining and after about 5 - 10 laps you are able to switch to dry tyres. The track dries too quickly in F12020.
I would like to have a visible dry racing line and like in the case of Hamilton, Russell and Bottas a slippery outer track.
It has to take a lot longer for the virtual F1 tracks to dry out completely. There must also be a noticeable difference between the racing line and the wet outer track when you drive with dry tyres.

@BarryBL Would be great if you could take these important notes to the development team.
Here are some impressions from the last Imola Grand Prix that show my points again.

F1_Imola_Wet4.jpg.05d0061d973c71e099cc48ddefcd9137.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet1.jpg.eb45fec04f18fee8b99b5e971e2fa8f2.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet2.jpg.c955b0e1c5512926a10516d38584732d.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet5.jpg.9a5591357b77a07ed6047c107b845026.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weather dynamics is incredibly difficult, especially if you want differences around the track. Coding something like that is so complex that it's not gonna happen anytime soon. The situation with spray is probably a choise, but do remember that what you see on TV is not what the driver is seeing. Imagine an unranked race with that kind of spray, noone will survive the first corner.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The weather physics aren’t optimal too. In F1 2020, the fastest line is the dry line, there are no changes to that. But when rubber builds up over a weekend, the dry line isn’t as quick as the outside of the track, where there’s no rubber yet. It would be really cool to have wet weather physics in F1 2021.

Below, you see a picture of Max Verstappen finding grip on the outside of the track overtaking Nico Rosberg who’s on the dry line.

6095E87D-1CB4-4E59-A9CE-804B893D1880.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, KleineBossie said:

I think Codies should make a wet condition assist. If you think driving in the wet is too hard, you put on the assist. If you like a bit of realism, you put off the assist.

WT .......Wet weather conditions on a race track is difficult IRL , isn't the general idea of playing the game of F1 to have the challenges of the real events to deal with in the game , its not going to be exactly how it would be in real life for obvious reasons but in the game called F1 that I am playing the rain effects are mind blowingly  good both visually and the loss of grip effects for game.

People who play the game need to step up to the plate or go and play Grid or some other less challenging game , a lot of people who are struggling in the wet in game  more than they should ; probably have poor set ups of both their car and their FFB settings aren't giving them enough grip and/ or their throttle is set too lively in its response. Set ups are everything IRL F1 and so they are in the game , that is what makes this game F1 , if you are not making setups in all possible tuning  areas to overcome problems at a racetrack then you might as well go and play a pure Arcade racer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

one thing that i was happy about when codies brought slightly mad was they would be able to help codies with weather simulation as the simulation in project cars 2 (lets just not talk about 3) is superb and the way the tires fully interact with track temps and are different depending on the day would just enhance the game even more. i was playing some GT3 on project cars 2 and my practice and quali were all in the day but the race was actually in the night so i had to be aware of changing tyre pressure before the race and this would better the experience of the challenges of driving tracks like Abu Dhabi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

F1 2020 is honestly more of an arcade game than a real simcade. It’s not really challenging to race without assists. If you just put in the practice and you’re on wheel almost anyone can play F1 without assists. In my opinion Codies should focus on the physics more, the graphics are already  one of the best of all racing games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

WT .......Wet weather conditions on a race track is difficult IRL , isn't the general idea of playing the game of F1 to have the challenges of the real events to deal with in the game , its not going to be exactly how it would be in real life for obvious reasons but in the game called F1 that I am playing the rain effects are mind blowingly  good both visually and the loss of grip effects for game.

People who play the game need to step up to the plate or go and play Grid or some other less challenging game , a lot of people who are struggling in the wet in game  more than they should ; probably have poor set ups of both their car and their FFB settings aren't giving them enough grip and/ or their throttle is set too lively in its response. Set ups are everything IRL F1 and so they are in the game , that is what makes this game F1 , if you are not making setups in all possible tuning  areas to overcome problems at a racetrack then you might as well go and play a pure Arcade racer.

The F1 game should be accessible for everyone, not only the sim racers but also the fans who play it just to have some fun. I wet weather is too hard for them, there should be an assist that lets them play how they would like to play F1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KleineBossie said:

The F1 game should be accessible for everyone, not only the sim racers but also the fans who play it just to have some fun. I wet weather is too hard for them, there should be an assist that lets them play how they would like to play F1.

This will end up again in the discussion about Sim racers vs Arcade racers. CM has the vision that f1 should satisfy the sim races and the casual (arcade) racers. As long as CM provides the option to restrict the assists in the MP lobby's it should be ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, aartstyle said:

This will end up again in the discussion about Sim racers vs Arcade racers. CM has the vision that f1 should satisfy the sim races and the casual (arcade) racers. As long as CM provides the option to restrict the assists in the MP lobby's it should be ok.

I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, KleineBossie said:

The F1 game should be accessible for everyone, not only the sim racers but also the fans who play it just to have some fun. I wet weather is too hard for them, there should be an assist that lets them play how they would like to play F1.

You will never be a Tory with that outlook, Please start a political party and stand against that 'Johnson' at the next election and save  bwitain.

I suppose I'll have to concede that allowing all to participate is the right thing to do .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

You will never be a Tory with that outlook, Please start a political party and stand against that 'Johnson' at the next election and save  bwitain.

I suppose I'll have to concede that allowing all to participate is the right thing to do .

I’m Dutch and I don’t understand your point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KleineBossie said:

F1 2020 is honestly more of an arcade game than a real simcade. It’s not really challenging to race without assists. If you just put in the practice and you’re on wheel almost anyone can play F1 without assists. In my opinion Codies should focus on the physics more, the graphics are already  one of the best of all racing games.

Your words............:classic_mellow:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nightfire1964 said:

one thing that i was happy about when codies brought slightly mad was they would be able to help codies with weather simulation as the simulation in project cars 2 (lets just not talk about 3) is superb and the way the tires fully interact with track temps and are different depending on the day would just enhance the game even more. i was playing some GT3 on project cars 2 and my practice and quali were all in the day but the race was actually in the night so i had to be aware of changing tyre pressure before the race and this would better the experience of the challenges of driving tracks like Abu Dhabi.

Apparently project cars thwee  is a great improvement on the series according to reviews............. Bro.

Yes I like what you are saying about the weather , its whether or not ; that is the question.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Nightfire1964 said:

I'm very confused what do you mean it's whether or not.

Just a bit of word play , what I mean is whether or not code masters  implement what you are suggesting  and put the weather system selector from PC2  in the F1 game to enhance it. Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, FIE said:

An open discussion about the state of a track under wet weather conditions in F1 games compared to reality.
As we saw with the latest example of Imola, wet weather conditions are more profound than those shown in the official videogame.
I drove several 100% races, started in wet up to dry conditions in F12020.

I had to find out that the virtual weather system is poor. In F12020 the view is far too clear on a wet track, because there is not enough spray when you drive behind another car. 
Would be great to get more spray and realism on this point. I miss the unpredictable weather at different points along the track. Different strengths of rainfalls / showers along the track would give the game more realism. The drivers often report on team radio that it is starting to rain in certain parts of the track. But in F12020 the rain is falling all over evenly, which is not entirely realistic.

Another point is the predictability of drying track. It stops raining and after about 5 - 10 laps you are able to switch to dry tyres. The track dries too quickly in F12020.
I would like to have a visible dry racing line and like in the case of Hamilton, Russell and Bottas a slippery outer track.
It has to take a lot longer for the virtual F1 tracks to dry out completely. There must also be a noticeable difference between the racing line and the wet outer track when you drive with dry tyres.

@BarryBL Would be great if you could take these important notes to the development team.
Here are some impressions from the last Imola Grand Prix that show my points again.

F1_Imola_Wet4.jpg.05d0061d973c71e099cc48ddefcd9137.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet1.jpg.eb45fec04f18fee8b99b5e971e2fa8f2.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet2.jpg.c955b0e1c5512926a10516d38584732d.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet5.jpg.9a5591357b77a07ed6047c107b845026.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet4.jpg

Totally agree. Weather and tracks have like 3 status. Dry inter and wet and every time looks completely same. There is nothing like looking for drying line and vice versa. Its funny when u have completely wet track everywhere and like 4 laps later is dry completely. I want to see clear sky and still some wet places

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FIE said:

An open discussion about the state of a track under wet weather conditions in F1 games compared to reality.
As we saw with the latest example of Imola, wet weather conditions are more profound than those shown in the official videogame.
I drove several 100% races, started in wet up to dry conditions in F12020.

I had to find out that the virtual weather system is poor. In F12020 the view is far too clear on a wet track, because there is not enough spray when you drive behind another car. 
Would be great to get more spray and realism on this point. I miss the unpredictable weather at different points along the track. Different strengths of rainfalls / showers along the track would give the game more realism. The drivers often report on team radio that it is starting to rain in certain parts of the track. But in F12020 the rain is falling all over evenly, which is not entirely realistic.

Another point is the predictability of drying track. It stops raining and after about 5 - 10 laps you are able to switch to dry tyres. The track dries too quickly in F12020.
I would like to have a visible dry racing line and like in the case of Hamilton, Russell and Bottas a slippery outer track.
It has to take a lot longer for the virtual F1 tracks to dry out completely. There must also be a noticeable difference between the racing line and the wet outer track when you drive with dry tyres.

@BarryBL Would be great if you could take these important notes to the development team.
Here are some impressions from the last Imola Grand Prix that show my points again.

F1_Imola_Wet4.jpg.05d0061d973c71e099cc48ddefcd9137.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet1.jpg.eb45fec04f18fee8b99b5e971e2fa8f2.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet2.jpg.c955b0e1c5512926a10516d38584732d.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet5.jpg.9a5591357b77a07ed6047c107b845026.jpg

F1_Imola_Wet4.jpg

 

20 hours ago, Lakrits said:

Weather dynamics is incredibly difficult, especially if you want differences around the track. Coding something like that is so complex that it's not gonna happen anytime soon. The situation with spray is probably a choise, but do remember that what you see on TV is not what the driver is seeing. Imagine an unranked race with that kind of spray, noone will survive the first corner.

 

I agree that weather dynamic is difficult it has been done before with localized weather on F1 2012 Paul Jeal explained it at the time problem is it's on the last gen engine. Not the current one right now.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...