Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Get rid of the useless Safety Car


Recommended Posts

Sorry if this has been brought up before... Get rid of the useless Safety Car. It's a total waste of time, and causes more trouble than it solves. Online racing has had the enjoyment decimated because of this disaster. There are a few main observations:

  1. It brings the field tightly together. Problem here being with everyone now packed together there's a much greater chance of further accidents. This defeats the purpose surely?
  2. It's a penalties smorgasbord. Through entirely no fault of you own people can hit you and you are awarded penalties. I utterly resent this. 
  3. Because of guaranteed incompetence of some absolute fodder on the game a safety car is almost guaranteed. It ruins the strategy element of the racing game. Everyone pits for a harder compound of tire.
  4. People lose their flow and creates more accidents. The fodder that dominate online lobbies often lose their flow and concentration after a restart, less practice in racing laps creates more accidents (of course

I welcome any challenge on this asinine invention. If you insist on this painful concept because, let's imagine some developer in a team is emotionally invested in it, (a) that's pathetic and/or poor (b) create a much for prescriptive VSC contraption that keeps the field in the exact same order, no accidents, no silly penalties, no delta, but control to change strategies. 

Lastly let's remember why safety cars exist. It's because either there is a physical hazard on the track that needs clearing for the drivers safety, or it is because marshals need to operate on the track safely. Neither of this need exist in online racing, this hazards don't need to exist. If random impositions of slowing down the race artificially were to happen in real F1 the fans would hate it, and many hate the dreary 'feature' now.

Please Codies - fix it or chuck it out! Your game deserves better.

  • Haha 4
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A safety car is part of F1. It belongs in the game. Can it be done better? Sure. But it’s way more helpful if you file a gameplay issue in the Technical Assistance forum and try to help fix the issues with bug reports and constructive thinking instead of just complaining.

 

About your four points, the 2nd one is definitely an issue which needs better coding. However if you’re in a decent league, the stewards will 100% remove your 5 second penalty if someone hit you from behind during the SC period.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with barryb, of ur 4 points I agree with only ur second one

bringing the field tightly together can produce closer racing, especially if the leader has just run off, and while yes there may be a collision it’s racing and collisions will happen anyway,

ur 3rd point I disagree with the most out of all of ur points as it means that people have to think on their feet without the help of the strategy screen u get at the start of the race, meaning that others and urself are more prone to making mistakes and misjudgments, maybe making the leader of the race fight back thru because he chose the wrong strategy,

and ur final point I disagree with because the f1 games want to be realistic while still having new players pick it up easily and play, but they still have things like leagues and esports with the more hard core racers who want the game to be as realistic as possible, so codies have to do a difficult balancing act to satisfy both sides, and having the safety car makes it realistic for the hard core racers and doesn’t complicate it to much for the new players

sry I forgot about ur practice laps point the safety car makes it easier for a change of the order early on even if the faster guys end up at the back they then fight thru again creating great wheel to wheel racing if ur in a league and everyone is disciplined

and a point I want to make to u is if I’m not mistaken can’t u just remove the safety car in open lobbies anyway so if u don’t like the safety car then disable it

Edited by Yotrash123
Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely disagree with OP. First of all, safety car is an option and it's possible for You to turn it off without the need to take away this feature from others players.
Secondly, if you play in proper leagues, the safety car is indeed an element that can let you recover from a bad race and remerge the pack as it is in real life. And also the strategy variation is a good thing, I raced in a league until few months ago and I remember preparing my 50% race strategies also considering the possibilities for a safety car in a determined lap and having B or C plans accordingly,


But I agree with the penalty system, it's unbelievable that the slightest touch even if that is not your fault can lead you to be penalised or even worse disqualified if someone decides to ram into your back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, HenricusVonG said:

[...]
Secondly, if you play in proper leagues, the safety car is indeed an element that can let you recover from a bad race and remerge the pack as it is in real life. [...]

I'm agree, but sometimes, because a crash, spin or other things, you are lapped... I'm my opinion, we should be able to unlap ourselves, as they do in real life, in order to rejoin the race.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FTBuzzard said:

Okay, first people complain that they don't get safety cars, and then others complain that they do get safety cars ?

Haha. How true!!

I think people just like complaining.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh? I just finished Baku in season 2 which was the first time ever I saw a safety car. You are complaining about a feature that can be turned off while I'm begging it to come out more. 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The safety car is a critical element to a race. Many times where I have been racing an unexpected safety car comes out which can completely change the outcome of a race. It’s far from perfect though I will say 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to add my none important opinion but stating a fact , The game is called F1 , it is about the sport/Entertainment show with adverts called F1 . There is a safety car in the actual sport/Entertainment show with adverts called F1 .

"I've had an idea".

Edit: Sorry I do'nt know what I was thinking . I agree with getting rid of the Safety car , it just causes problems in the game like losing your advantage that you have of winning after building a lead over other cars during a race just like in real life , this is just a game so it not a big deal if you get rid of it altogether.

He is talking about on line safety car so , I don't think he has the option to turn it off ? , I don't do online so I wouldn't know.

Edited by Exasperated
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2021 at 12:48 AM, joegraham11 said:

Sorry if this has been brought up before... Get rid of the useless Safety Car. It's a total waste of time, and causes more trouble than it solves. Online racing has had the enjoyment decimated because of this disaster. There are a few main observations:

  1. It brings the field tightly together. Problem here being with everyone now packed together there's a much greater chance of further accidents. This defeats the purpose surely?
  2. It's a penalties smorgasbord. Through entirely no fault of you own people can hit you and you are awarded penalties. I utterly resent this. 
  3. Because of guaranteed incompetence of some absolute fodder on the game a safety car is almost guaranteed. It ruins the strategy element of the racing game. Everyone pits for a harder compound of tire.
  4. People lose their flow and creates more accidents. The fodder that dominate online lobbies often lose their flow and concentration after a restart, less practice in racing laps creates more accidents (of course

I welcome any challenge on this asinine invention. If you insist on this painful concept because, let's imagine some developer in a team is emotionally invested in it, (a) that's pathetic and/or poor (b) create a much for prescriptive VSC contraption that keeps the field in the exact same order, no accidents, no silly penalties, no delta, but control to change strategies. 

Lastly let's remember why safety cars exist. It's because either there is a physical hazard on the track that needs clearing for the drivers safety, or it is because marshals need to operate on the track safely. Neither of this need exist in online racing, this hazards don't need to exist. If random impositions of slowing down the race artificially were to happen in real F1 the fans would hate it, and many hate the dreary 'feature' now.

Please Codies - fix it or chuck it out! Your game deserves better.

You forgot to say that the SC can be used IRL to make a boring white wash train of a race into entertainment again , you people are just not cynical enough.

Edited by Exasperated
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Just to add my none important opinion but stating a fact , The game is called F1 , it is about the sport/Entertainment show with adverts called F1 . There is a safety car in the actual sport/Entertainment show with adverts called F1 .

"I've had an idea".

Edit: Sorry I do'nt know what I was thinking . I agree with getting rid of the Safety car , it just causes problems in the game like losing your advantage that you have of winning after building a lead over other cars during a race just like in real life , this is just a game so it not a big deal if you get rid of it altogether.

He is talking about on line safety car so , I don't think he has the option to turn it off ? , I don't do online so I wouldn't know.

Also the losing your advantage part is just life and if you grew it once you can grow it again

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 2:49 PM, Exasperated said:

Just to add my none important opinion but stating a fact , The game is called F1 , it is about the sport/Entertainment show with adverts called F1 . There is a safety car in the actual sport/Entertainment show with adverts called F1 .

"I've had an idea".

Edit: Sorry I do'nt know what I was thinking . I agree with getting rid of the Safety car , it just causes problems in the game like losing your advantage that you have of winning after building a lead over other cars during a race just like in real life , this is just a game so it not a big deal if you get rid of it altogether.

He is talking about on line safety car so , I don't think he has the option to turn it off ? , I don't do online so I wouldn't know.

Yes, I'm agree (I love SC), but I think lapped people must be able to unlap themselves (such as IRL).

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like the SC in the game but a lot of people in open lobbies don't know how to behave while under SC so it leads to a lot of problems. 

That said, Codemasters needs to fix the incorrect messages like "you may pass <guy in front>" or the SC randomly glitching out and becoming compromised.

Also, track limits should be disabled under SC, why am I getting punished for running wide while going 50km/h in a highspeed corner while under SC? It makes no sense.

Another issue is the car behind running into the back of my car and ME getting 5s penalty for it. This happens all the time and it destroys the race every time. The penalty system is extremely broken in this game.

Edited by CptBalloonhands
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...