Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Series - Where did stages/events get their inspiration from

Pretty much the title says it all:  What places do you think they got their inspiration from, stages/races/events.  Mostly talking about stage rally.  I have noticed some that I will post about over the next week or so. 

I am not asking about the obvious (yeah I know Finland was inspired by Finnish rally stages, etc..) 

Just want to cover CM: DiRT, CM: DiRT 2, and DiRT 3, since none of these really have any official event.

I left this thread go for awhile, but to get you thinking, was the Utah canyon stage [edit: in DiRT2]  (or races) modeled after the Arizona - Ramada Express Rally?  Part of it took place in the Grand Canyon next to the colorado river.  I didn't even know about this event until I saw a quick mention by Tanner Foust on Top Gear USA (I know its not BBC, I watch both).

Isn't this something only diehard-rally-fans know? Well I can't say exactly. As much as I enjoy Racing Games, I don't watch other people racing that often. I'd guess Codemasters just sent a bunch of prople around the word to take photos of some more unique sourroundings and then they base their tracks on those photos. At least it's not uncommon to send the art-lead to those countrys where their games are based on.

Sure, I understand that and its probably true.  But its not a random thing, either, these guys know motorsports, and do research.  So I am thinking that a lot of the stages had to be inspired from some location that rally races are held.  Otherwise you could spin the globe and point at a place to model a stage or event after.  

I think they search for memorable places of a country where a rally was hold and then try to combine them roghly in a few stages. Pretty much like they did in Grid 2 with Barcelona. Famous stuff like Arc de Triumph and other stuff on one 3-minute track even though in reality those point of interests are far away from each other.

Michigan was based on a real rally Ken Block took part in, in Michigan. Onre of the designers posted a load of photo's of the course up on the old Codemasters forum.

Michigan was based on a real rally Ken Block took part in, in Michigan. Onre of the designers posted a load of photo's of the course up on the old Codemasters forum.

We've probably got a load of research pics, I'll try hunt them down for you and post them up if you like?

erm...      let me think...         research pics...         would we like to see them?...         ooooh this [i]is[/i] a tough one...     hhhmmm...           ahhhhh, better than biscuits...          ermm...       ummmmm...         unseen pictures...        #head scratch...      hmmmmm...     errrrrrrrrr...             

Are you mad man? Oh course we'd like                                        

@justbiglee‌ that would be great!

I was wondering about the Michigan stages, do you guys know some of the buildings are old nike-apache missile sites?  There are quite a few of these abandoned  here in  Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, I fact there are many within walking distance of my home.