Jump to content Jump to content

Dirty Rally Force Feedback auto steering or just me?

NBKRedSpy

I'm new to Force Feedback wheels, but it seems like Dirt Rally is "helping" me a bit through some corners and lines.

Is this just my noob perspective or just how Force Feedback is done? 

I've recorded a clip that shows an example.  https://youtu.be/-qJ4vbAkMP4

In the clip, I hold the wheel with my fingertips when it feels like it is about neutral in load to show what I'm talking about.  I looked at the track and I didn't see anything that looked like it would cause the wheel to do that, but I'm new at this.

Sorry about the cross post.  I created a poll because I thought that it was a "feature" in the game that was helping me since it seemed to come on all of the sudden.  Afterwards I did a bit more research and thought that maybe I was making connections that were not there. 

Since this is my first Force Feedback wheel, I'm trying to figure out if this is how it is done or if I'm misunderstanding physics that I couldn't feel before or what.

That instance on your video does look strange but there are a lot of things that can cause the front wheels to turn. Camber of the road, the back end sliding, torque steer when the grip between the wheels is different and depending on the diff settings. You might wanna turn down the self aligning torque setting and increase the friction ones which would cause those movements to be more damped. I personally have it set up in a way that lets me feel those forces on the wheel but doesn't have them tug it out of my hands, a lot of that is cos I have issues with my wrists though and I'm a big girl's blouse.

People have talked a lot about the FFB "helping" you turn or driving for you but really it has no idea where you're going and does nothing to help you, it just reacts to the forces going through the wheels. Often you'll set up for a corner by starting to slide, which causes the wheels to turn in the opposite direction. This can be construed as the force feedback countersteering for you, but it's actually just the effect of the front wheels trying to align in the direction of travel. 

All of this doesn't account for bugs in the FFB and your particular setup tho.

Archived