Jump to content Jump to content

CSL elite F1 load cell: which is your brf on the wheel and in game?

I have fanatec csl elite F1 set with load cell kit. I saw that many racers in time trial have 100% braking force in game.

I would like to know your brf on the wheel and in game for F1 2020 for the races. I play 50% races.

In F1 2019 I used 30 brf on the wheel screen and around 80% braking force in the game.

The thing is, with 100% braking force it's up to you to set how much force you use at each braking instant. That gives you a higher control. With 80% brake force you can never use the full potential of your brakes.

I always have 100% set, I learn how to use the brakes in each instant instead.

• Agree 2
Posted (edited)

@jamesjuve86, I use 100% BF in the game and have BRF set to 50% on the wheel. I also set the brake dead-zone to 15, so I can rest my foot on the pedal without it registering an input.

@Lakrits is right, having it at 100% gives you more control.

You’ll also want to consider the black dampers you use on the brake pedal itself; you want to find the right combination of resistance and travel. I removed the yellow sponge and use 4x85, 2x65 dampers. I find the whole configuration removes the “step” in initial braking (which made it difficult to consistently brake at certain levels), it gives me a good amount of resistance (so I do have to exert a fair amount of pressure to hit 100% BF, but not too little that I always hit it - you might find as I did this happens on 40% BRF on the wheel, whereas 60% was too difficult to get 100% BF). This configuration also gives me enough travel so that I can “feel” my trail brake, 25% BF, 50% BF etc fairly consistently, all without tiring my leg out over a race.

Initially on some tracks 100% BF was too much (as I can be a bit heavy with the brakes sometimes as was “over-braking”), and so I changed it to 95%, but over time in getting used to the LC, 100% is my go to setting.

I hope the above is helpful!

Edited by Monzie83

I see no reason to lower the in-game brf. Why choose to have less stopping power? So, always 100% for me.

on the loadcell wheel setting I have BrF 40 (5x85 + 1x95 elastomer) hard enough to feel a distinct dynamic range in force applied, and soft enough for long stint comfort

• Social Media & Community Team

In-game: 100

On-wheel: I think I have it set to either 40 or 60.

Basically, open the BRF menu on your wheel and press the pedal as hard as you want 100% to be. Lower the number with the FunkySwitch until all of the shift lights are lit up.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, Monzie83 said:

You’ll also want to consider the black dampers you use on the brake pedal itself; you want to find the right combination of resistance and travel. I removed the yellow sponge and use 4x85, 2x65 dampers.

How does it feel without the sponge? I've always left it in, along with 5x 85 dampers.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PJTierney said:

How does it feel without the sponge? I've always left it in, along with 5x 85 dampers.

Hey @PJTierney,

I quite like it because it offers resistance through all of the pedal travel and eliminates that “step” of practically zero resistance the yellow foam brings.

Overall it has helped me with trail braking as I subconsciously “know” to keep some pressure applied in the release phase - in my brain “resistance = brake engaged”.

The issue I had with the yellow foam was I had to set deadzone so I could rest my foot on the brake, but at the level I set there was still some brake force being applied within the travel the yellow foam presents when pressed initially, and I found I was releasing the brake at the end of travel too quickly when trail braking because I felt no resistance. I could have set the deadzone higher to mitigate this, but then there would have been some initial travel that did nothing. Obviously I wanted to get all of the brake force I can in the early part of the braking phase, but couldn’t find that happy medium in the release phase. I mucked around with the linearity a bit but it didn’t solve the issue either. I hope that makes sense.

I think it also helped me a lot with applying the brake at certain levels when needed, because I could feel the resistance that much earlier - with the “step” in there I was too inconsistent.

I was using exactly the same config as you when I first got the pedals - try with 4x85 & 2x65, it feels about the same as 5x85 & yellow foam at the top end and through the middle of pedal travel, with a nice amount of initial resistance - give it a go, you might like it.

Edited by Monzie83
  • Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, PJTierney said:

In-game: 100

On-wheel: I think I have it set to either 40 or 60.

Basically, open the BRF menu on your wheel and press the pedal as hard as you want 100% to be. Lower the number with the FunkySwitch until all of the shift lights are lit up.

I'd agree with that, I use 100 in game and typically 40 on wheel with a full 85 damper setup, gives me the feeling I need, and matches my braking 'memory' in other sims, such as ACC. 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:51 PM, Monzie83 said:

I was using exactly the same config as you when I first got the pedals - try with 4x85 & 2x65, it feels about the same as 5x85 & yellow foam at the top end and through the middle of pedal travel, with a nice amount of initial resistance - give it a go, you might like it.

I've just bought some new hardware and am doing firmware updates, so seems like a good time to try this too 🙂 

Different topic: Have there been any recent firmware updates to the CSL Elite LC pedals?

In updating my other firmwares today I noticed that I needed to connect the pedals directly to my PC, and as such they haven't had an update since I bought my pedals in June of 2019. I'd do the update now myself, but accessing the USB port of my pedals requires me to disassemble half my rig so I'd rather not if there's no update 😄 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Different topic: Have there been any recent firmware updates to the CSL Elite LC pedals?

I don’t think so; Got my pedals in Dec 20, never updated, connected to PC the a week or so ago and firmware was the latest version.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, PJTierney said:

I've just bought some new hardware and am doing firmware updates, so seems like a good time to try this too 🙂 

Did you give it a try @PJTierney?Keen to hear what you think if you did.

On 5/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, PJTierney said:

but accessing the USB port of my pedals requires me to disassemble half my rig

If you have a spare usb cable (there was one included with my pedals or LC pedal - can’t remember which box it came in), you could take the pain now and dissemble your rig and leave this cable in for easy access in the future. Dawned on me just now that as my pedals are zip tied to my Playseat challenge, I needed to fiddle about a bit to put the extra cable in to check for updates.

Edited by Monzie83
On 6/6/2021 at 1:13 AM, Monzie83 said:

Did you give it a try @PJTierney?Keen to hear what you think if you did.

I tried it for a week, and for the way I brake it felt a little too stiff and I wasn't as confident as I was previously.

It did encourage me to try out other brake settings though, and I found that the Sponge + 5x65 felt best for me right now.

• Like 1