Jump to content Jump to content

real F1 RedBull bendy rear wing, good footage

3 hours ago, Schneehase said:

see here, unbelievable, this passes FIA testing though and seems to be perfectly legal. FIA seems to alter the rules now to prevent this:

You actually notice the rear wing shift on the Red Bull ... who knows what will happen

well, you are right when you say that the rear wing of the redbull has a little bit more give at the straights and go bit bendy. but as long as redbull stays within the rules there is no problem. we gotta read the article of the Regulament that limits the flexibility of rear wings

On 5/14/2021 at 1:13 PM, Lightz3D said:

It seems like both of them are moving the same to me. 

Far from it. Look at the red lines which mark the extremes of the motion. The video is a very clear demonstration of the effect I think.

This either needs to be banned for Red Bull or be deemed legal and for others to be free to do the same.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

This either needs to be banned for Red Bull or be deemed legal and for others to be free to do the same.

As of the current rules, it is in fact perfectly legal, since the bent of the wings is measured with certain weights and pressures while the vehilce does not move.

There is an additional rule, that aerodynamic parts of a car must not move (apart from DRS, which is an excempt to that rule), but from time to time FIA still has to clearify things: They argue then with the "spirit" of the rules - do you recall the wind tunnels which were activated by the driver placing his arm over a hole inside the cockpit so the car would go faster in certain parts of the track? By rule definition these were not illegal, but FIA reacted on those. I am not sure they would do the same here, since the argument could be that every team would be allowed to implement such a wing, as long as that stayed legal within the current rules. However, with the new cost limit currently in place, it could be something that you could easily copy, technic wise, but you wont manage to, cash limit wise. That is at least interesting and as long as it makes the championship more competitive, I dont think FIA will do too much about it. There were some rumors they would act following a Mercedes protest, but I gotta admit I havent read their (FIAs) latest statements about that.

Edited by Schneehase
9 minutes ago, GeoffR86 said:

If this is deemed to not be within the rules and get's banned I'll give it 15 minutes before Marko is complaining about FIA working for Mercedes...

Of course he will.

And if it doesn't get banned all teams will have it within the next few races. So in the end the outcome is the same.