Jump to content Jump to content

Can I yell at other drivers in f1 if they have rammed me?

7 minutes ago, Billieboy said:

why mate

Codemasters (or Electronic Arts considering they are the publishers) would have problems with the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) if they use swearing in the game (if you don't know what this is, this is the rating for the public, like if it has gore, drugs or a lot of bad language in the game -- if so it would be a more mature rating).
The game is at the moment Rated E for Everyone, with some mild language (but no swearing). I don't think they want to risk in putting out that, and I mean I don't think it will help out (although it would be funny having it). They want to have it for all public, especially after they included easier ways to drive in the game.

And I mean, if you get rammed or crashed out, you still need to go forward, no matter the damage (unless it's suspension) -- F1 drivers do swear only when making a mistake or by the same reason you said, but it doesn't really help out at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team

From over a decade of online racing experience, I can tell you that lashing out at people that bump into you online is never effective at changing their behaviour in the way you want them to. It might make you feel good but it doesn't do anything.

Some players may be intentionally griefing you and get enjoyment from that response, while others are struggling so much to keep their own car on the road they don't have the necessary skill to avoid yours in the heat of the moment.

All you can really do is focus on your own race, look out for the common traps online, and pick your way through the field. That way even in some of the roughest online races you'll come out on top. Other people won't change the way they race for you, and when you can potentially come across hundreds of opponents a day any attempts are futile.

This video goes into more detail on the ways you can avoid most incidents online, hope it helps:

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CMPJTierney said:

From over a decade of online racing experience, I can tell you that lashing out at people that bump into you online is never effective at changing their behaviour in the way you want them to. It might make you feel good but it doesn't do anything.

Some players may be intentionally griefing you and get enjoyment from that response, while others are struggling so much to keep their own car on the road they don't have the necessary skill to avoid yours in the heat of the moment.

While I agree with you, are there any plans by Codemasters to address this type of behaviour in Multiplayer by implementing better reporting measures or AI detection of intentional griefing?
This happens so often in unranked and ranked lobbies that it takes the fun out of a lot of races in online mode. Surely there must be something that can be done about it to at least reduce how often this happens?

Edited by CptBalloonhands
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, CMPJTierney said:

All you can really do is focus on your own race, look out for the common traps online, and pick your way through the field. That way even in some of the roughest online races you'll come out on top. Other people won't change the way they race for you, and when you can potentially come across hundreds of opponents a day any attempts are futile.

This video goes into more detail on the ways you can avoid most incidents online, hope it helps:

As much as you want to shout at other drivers,  Don't do it,

League racing is probably the best form of any racing, 

We ourselves generally do full distance f1 races and pcars2 races ,

Also we have full damage, 

I personally think VR is the way forward for any online racing as you can judge apexs and other drivers much better  

90% of the time with open lobbies you will get rammed or dive bombermaned,

I race f1 and pcars2,  dirt rally 2.0 and ACC on ps4 and the original AC with VR ON my pc through steam,  and very occasionally iracing  ,

My best advice is Don't get angry and don't send stupid messages, 

Once that race is finished then forget about that race and move on to the next race,.

Find a good league with proper rules 👌,  plus you will meet like minded people, 

Hope that helps, 

Ps always live stream,  its evidence if you cause an accident or someone else causes an accident 😳 

Edited by senna94f1
Predicted spelling makes errors
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, CptBalloonhands said:

While I agree with you, are there any plans by Codemasters to address this type of behaviour in Multiplayer by implementing better reporting measures or AI detection of intentional griefing?
This happens so often in unranked and ranked lobbies that it takes the fun out of a lot of races in online mode. Surely there must be something that can be done about it to at least reduce how often this happens?

Short answer: I don't know. I'm not privy to the development path of the F1 games, or at least not privy enough to say anything publicly.

Having raced in various games for over a decade I can say that this is a very difficult thing to solve. The easy solution is "everybody behaves" but we haven't invented mind control yet 😄 

Automated penalty systems are what you need at scale, as human stewardship is only really viable in esports competitions. That being said, the various nuances of motorsport dictate that you can't necessarily prevent intentional griefing, although there are some things that could potentially be useful.

Forza Horizon 4 tried out a thing where if a car's entry speed to a corner was well above what is "normal", it would automatically ghost that player throughout the braking zone. I'd like to see more games do that.

That's only one example though, and there are many ways a competitor could ruin your race, and the difference between an intentional incident and an accidental one can sometimes be zero.

The "easy" solution is to ghost all players, but I personally never liked that as you're no longer racing anybody, you're simply doing time trials with live ghosts.

Personally, I think the issue begins long before competitors even enter a race. Many either don't have, don't know or aren't even aware of the hundreds of skills and techniques you need to not only drive these cars fast, but drive them "fairly" in traffic.

No racing developer has solved the issue of making people want to get good at a racing game while simultaneously giving them the tools and resources to educate them on such things*. GT Sport made a valiant attempt though, which is why I consider it one of the most important titles in the genre.

*This is the main reason I make tutorials on YouTube, as I am trying to fill that gap. I don't expect it to make a major impact on the playerbase as a whole, but if I can help a few people improve their experiences in some way, then that's a win in my book.

14 hours ago, senna94f1 said:

As much as you want to shout at other drivers,  Don't do it,

League racing is probably the best form of any racing, 

We ourselves generally do full distance f1 races and pcars2 races ,

Also we have full damage, 

I personally think VR is the way forward for any online racing as you can judge apexs and other drivers much better  

90% of the time with open lobbies you will get rammed or dive bombermaned,

I race f1 and pcars2,  dirt rally 2.0 and ACC on ps4 and the original AC with VR ON my pc through steam,  and very occasionally iracing  ,

My best advice is Don't get angry and don't send stupid messages, 

Once that race is finished then forget about that race and move on to the next race,.

Find a good league with proper rules 👌,  plus you will meet like minded people, 

Hope that helps, 

Ps always live stream,  its evidence if you cause an accident or someone else causes an accident 😳 

Good advice 🙂 

I have said before and I will repeat here: not everybody is "out to get you".

Some players are simply struggling to control their cars or don't have the trained spatial awareness to race in traffic, and they bump into you by accident.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Personally, I think the issue begins long before competitors even enter a race. Many either don't have, don't know or aren't even aware of the hundreds of skills and techniques you need to not only drive these cars fast, but drive them "fairly" in traffic.

I wonder if there would be any scope for a future game introducing a form a driving tutorial to try to help teach such things? I'm thinking of practical racing scenarios to play through with particular objectives relating to the likes of clean overtakes or not impeding others. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Short answer: I don't know. I'm not privy to the development path of the F1 games, or at least not privy enough to say anything publicly.
Having raced in various games for over a decade I can say that this is a very difficult thing to solve.

Yeah I agree with you there. But it would at least be a start if they could fix the bug where I get the penalty if somebody hits me from behind, this is super frustrating especially behind a Safety Car when people lightly tap me and I get a penalty for CAUSING A SERIOUS COLLISION. 

A couple examples

https://v.redd.it/6nbk681ju6o61/DASH_720.mp4

https://v.redd.it/tas6vdknh2o61/DASH_720.mp4

That being said, I agree it's a difficult thing to fix the griefing issue, because how does the AI know what's intentional and what isn't? If they could fix the buggy penalty system it would be a huge step forward though. Cheers for the reply

16 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I wonder if there would be any scope for a future game introducing a form a driving tutorial to try to help teach such things? I'm thinking of practical racing scenarios to play through with particular objectives relating to the likes of clean overtakes or not impeding others. 

I'm all in favour of racing games having more tutorials in general 🙂 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

@PJTierneyto look at this topic from another point of view - I wonder why are there not more incentives in the game, to get drivers to drive accordingly in multiplayer mode? Hence, there is not even a sufficient documentation about multiplayer safety ratings in the game.

F1 2020 has this wonderful, ladder like podium pass mode, where you drive and climb the ladder towards your rewards, may it be pitcoins, car liveries or whatever. Why not have something similar for safety rating? Ditch the school grades and give drivers a ladder which they can move up towards their "S" safety rating: when obtained they get awesome rewards. All these destruction derby drivers will never get there, and I bet it would make a vast difference in everyones driving style.

If it did not, why not enforce simulation damage on ranked multiplayer, all the drivers who use their car to drive others off the road, or torpedo them in corners and the like, are immediately out of the race because of the damage they receive (all the game has to do is to filter out who is the aggressor, but thats not so hard to do). Either way might be worth a try.

Edited by Schneehase
  • Like 2

I tend to jump off the couch when I get punted into a wall. I only yell at myself 😀 and only when the kids aren't around! 

I think maybe a driving school could be a cool addition. I know when I first started playing there was so much to learn that it took away from the fun of it a bit. Not putting that on codies, I jumped into the fire before I knew what I was doing but that seems to be the way you have to do it.

• Like 1