Jump to content Jump to content

[Suggestion] [Audio] F1 2021 Engine Sound Design

Posted (edited)

Here is a quick list with all the current F1 engine sounds of the 2021 season, as heard on SkyF1, F1TV or onboard footages. This is just a friendly reminder and reference to how the engine sounds should be, if maximum accuracy and realism is the goal.

Alpine Renault, there is a secondary Turbo when on full throttle and reaching maximum speed, as well as a pretty deep bass and low growling sound effect in low revs: 

Ferrari, there is a secondary Turbo sound when on full throttle and reaching maximum speed:

Red Bull Honda, there is a secondary Turbo sound when on full throttle and reaching maximum speed as well as a harsh unique deep low growling when the wastage from the cylinder banks shuts down under braking (which, from what i heard on social media, is one of the main reasons why everyone loves the Honda engine sound so much):

And here additionally the Mercedes Turbo Whine on downshifts and low revs (which, unfortunately, you at Codemasters have never been able to perfectly recreate since 2014 up until 2020...):

As we can hear in all these examples, the Turbo whistle sound is always extremely dominant in all engines, and the overall pitch is pretty high. Last year in F1 2020 the game, this part of the audio, the engine sound (e.g.: pitch too low especially in 8th gear, lacking unique turbo whistle sound effects for all engine manufacturers, weird overemphasized "whoosh" sound effect when downshifting with Mercedes powered engines etc.) was not really well made and or was even completely missing specific aspects for some engine manufacturers etc.

Let's hope Codemasters does try to give us a much more realistic and accurate onboard engine sound in F1 2021 the game!!!

PS: I know, that the development of the engine sounds for F1 2021 the game is probably already finished, but i do wonder:

1. Does Codemasters even compare the engine sounds with how they are perceived via real life onboard footages at all for maximum accuracy and realism?

2. And how are improvements made over the year?

3. Or is it all just a matter of personal preference, in which the devs collectively decide to pursue a alternative, instead of aiming for maximum accuracy and realism?

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Additional Info, Paragraphs & Typo
  • Thanks 4
  • Agree 5
9 minutes ago, SturmDesTodes said:

Here is a quick list with all the current F1 engine sounds of the 2021 season, as heard on SkyF1 or onboard footages. This is just a friendly reminder and reference to how the engine sounds should be, if maximum accuracy and realism is the goal.

Alpine Renault, there is a secondary Turbo when on full throttle and reaching maximum speed, as well as a pretty deep bass and low growling sound effect in low revs: 

Ferrari, there is a secondary Turbo sound when on full throttle and reaching maximum speed:

Red Bull Honda, there is a secondary Turbo sound when on full throttle and reaching maximum speed as well as a harsh, as well as the unique deep low growling when the wastage from the cylinder banks shuts down under braking (which, from what i heard on social media, is one of the main reasons why everyone loves the Honda engine sound):

And here additionally the Mercedes Turbo Whine on downshifts and low revs (which, unfortunately, you at Codemasters have never been able to perfectly recreate since 2014 uo until 2020...):

As we can hear in all these examples, the Turbo whistle sound is always extremely dominant in all engines, and the overall pitch is pretty high. Last year in F1 2020 the game, this part of the engine sound (pitch too low, lacking unique turbo whistle sound effects etc.) was not really well made and or was even missing completely for some engine manufacturers.

Let's hope Codemasters does not mess it up once again and gives us a much more realistic and accurate onboard engine sound in F1 2021 the game!!!

PS: I know, that the development of the engine sounds for F1 2021 the game is probably already finished, but i do wonder:

1. Does Codemasters even compare the engine sounds with how they are perceived via real life onboard footages at all for maximum accuracy and realism?

2. And how are improvements made over the year?

3. Or is it all just a matter of personal preference, in which the devs collectively decide to pursue a alternative, instead of aiming for maximum accuracy and realism?

@issueskid

• Like 1
  • SturmDesTodes changed the title to [Suggestion] [Audio] F1 2021 Engine Sound Design
Posted (edited)

You explained everything perfectly. However I doubt that they will do anything about making engine sounds more real. They would be more focused on MyTeam or whatever upcoming features are instead of working on making the actual game better which is engine sounds and attention to detail like everything you pointed out in this post. Nothing wrong with any of that but if they work on that so much why dont they work better on engine sounds?

I mean with all respect to this great working team, but Assetto Corsa mod community can create better engine sounds than official F1 game. It doesnt make sense.

Here is example how Honda shoud sound: ASSETTO CORSA HONDA F1 ENGINE SOUND | Circuit Barcelona-Catalunya | Max Verstappen Onboard - YouTube

How Renault should sound: F1 Total Circuit Alonso Onboard Lap | 14 Tracks in One! | Assetto Corsa F1 2021 Mod - YouTube

Edited by F1racer2
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

You explained everything perfectly. However I doubt that they will do anything about making engine sounds more real. They would be more focused on MyTeam or whatever upcoming features are instead of working on making the actual game better which is engine sounds and attention to detail like everything you pointed out in this post. Nothing wrong with any of that but if they work on that so much why dont they work better on engine sounds?

Even small modding community in Assetto corsa knows how to create better and more real engine sounds and here are some of them:

This is how Renault should sound like: F1 Total Circuit Alonso Onboard Lap | 14 Tracks in One! | Assetto Corsa F1 2021 Mod - YouTube

How Honda should sound: F1 2021 AlphaTauri AT02 Onboard Lap Honda Engine Sounds | Imola | Assetto Corsa F1 2021 Mod - YouTube

Edited by F1racer2
  • Like 1

Not sure how much or an improvement we’ll see to the engine sounds this year. Not for any particular reason other than the travel restrictions Covid has had. Usually CM go to pre-season testing and capture audio of all the cars but I’m assuming that hasn’t been possible this year sadly.  I guess they could still have made changes and tweaked any audio they had from last year for the new game but I guess we’ll have to see.

• Agree 2

Graphics and sound are things that are expected to improve pretty much every year.

the sound of F1 2020 has significantly improved compared to years prior and honestly, good job Codemasters!

I would also love for the engine sounds to sound more similar to what we hear on the TV because it simply just sounds that good.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Fionnlagh said:

It'd be nice if you could select the engine sound for your multiplayer/ my team car.

Just one more reason switching to PC is the way to go. You can easily change the sound to any engine you want. Unfortunately the mod community hasn’t been able to make engine sound mods but its really easy to change engine sounds regardless of engine supplier you use.  

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, EnaFreddo said:

Every year if I am correct they attempt winter testing and they record sounds from all cars. Although they make progress every year, this year I expect a lot more.

Exactly. I know from the sound developers and beta testing in the last years, that every year the teams work together with Codemasters with the engine sounds. They are using real onboard sounds and footage from the tests. 

In the past, the sound devs, were very open and worked with us players to improve the sound. However, I agree, that especially this year, the turbo whistle should be more in the focus, as it is more present, especially at the Renault engine. 

I already posted this back in April here:

So, I agree totally with the first post here.

@issueskid

Edited by Jaketa
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
On 5/15/2021 at 9:38 PM, SturmDesTodes said:

Sound from onboards aren't realism. They have multiple microphones that are then mixed together to create something that the sound engineers at FOM are happy with. It's not unusual for them to move the microphones and change the mixing.

The game tries to imitate this "fake" sound environment with the 'Broadcast Mix' sound mode that's automatically enabled (as long as you're running T-cam or something). Basically, your answer is 'yes', though onboard sounds aren't realistic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Negatives (Audio):

Mercedes engine sound is terrible:

-Why is there a uprising Turbo Whine when upshifting, and climbing up the speed for the Mercedes Engine? This is not a Renault, or Honda or Ferrari Engine!

-Where is the unique Mercedes downshift Turbo Whine? It is completely absent, despite it being a key element of the Mercedes Engine Sound since 2014 (sadly Codemasters has never been able to nail the Mercedes Turbo Whine, and they failed once again in 2021...).

-What is that over-exaggerated "Whoosh" sound effect on the right audio channel when downshifting? That is not how the Mercedes Engine sounds like at all. And it was in the F1 2020 game as well.

-Why does the Mercedes Engine Sound have the growling parts of the Ferrari Engine when downshifting and or in low revs? That makes no sense...

-Why is there no muffled filter for the Cockpit Cam? That would make the driving feel more immersive and realistic!

Positives (Audio):

+Other cars are not too loud or too silent.

+Offboard downshifts for other cars, sound amazing.

+Underfloor scraping sound effect is great.

+Crowd, Engineer and Commentators are well balanced.

---------------------------------

This is how the Mercedes should sound like:

(Bottas Pole Lap Portimao 2021)

---------------------------------

Comparison Video of Mercedes' Engine Sound by Bradley G (YouTube): 

Edited by SturmDesTodes
  • Agree 1

Here is a compilation of all the F1 2021 ingame Engine Sounds for all Engine manufacturers by MXCN_F1 (YouTube):

First thoughts: The Alpine Renault sounds the best, all the others are not anywhere close to how they should sound like if compared to the official real life onboard footages.

• Agree 3