Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2020 on Controller/Wheel/Assists

Hey Everyone,

I have an quick question to you. I have an Wheel: Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback Pro.

I am struggling a bit, I am really competitive with my controller but with limited assist youre not quicker then the guy with no assists.

Do you guys have any tips for me for my controller with no assist, on how do you learn to drive on controller with no assists or my wheel on how to learn it?

Appreciate it!

I'm not sure why you put F1 2021 in the thread title?

My main advice would be to decide whether you're going to race with either wheel or controller and then stick to just this. Mixing the two is only going to make things harder I think. It should be possible to be as fast with either, although my guess is you'd get more enjoyment from using the wheel since you have this?

What assists are you currently using? Some will advise to just turn everything off. What I did myself was more gradual, first of all getting used to manual gears whilst using medium TC and ABS on, then I switched both ABS and TC off. I partly did it this way as I'd seen videos on how short-shifting gears can help control wheel-spin with TC off. The main thing is, once you've switched something off, keep it off. Accept you'll be slower while you get used to it.

• Thanks 1

Oooh just noticed the F1 2021. Needs to be F1 2020 my bad. 😄

I use the assist Brake assist off. ABS On. Traction Control Medium. Racing line Corners only. Gearbox Manual. 

I have more fun to drive on the wheel but in league races I am pretty fast on controller but racing on the wheel is pretty difficult.

I’d probably brake my fingers if I tried manual gears on a pad. I don’t get how people do that.

However As Ultra said, take your assists off one by one. Since you’re already on manual gears and medium traction control your next step should be taking TC fully off. And yes you’ll be slower in the beginning and probably make much more mistakes, but once you’ve got the hang of it you’ll be much quicker.

• Thanks 1

It's helpful to go into controller settings and up the Throttle and braking linearity to 50. This makes the triggers less sensitive, giving you a little better feel and control. TC off, once you get the hang of it, is a big speed boost. To me TC feels like you're driving around the track with a parachute deployed.

Short shifting coming out of turns is helpful if you're spinning alot with tc off. As far as abs, I'm not sure how much quicker I am with it off but I've gotten used to it off and feel sluggish with it on. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, BarryB said:

I’d probably brake my fingers if I tried manual gears on a pad. I don’t get how people do that.

However As Ultra said, take your assists off one by one. Since you’re already on manual gears and medium traction control your next step should be taking TC fully off. And yes you’ll be slower in the beginning and probably make much more mistakes, but once you’ve got the hang of it you’ll be much quicker.

Hahahaha Manual gears on a pad isn't for me a difficult thing! 😄

Thank you for the tip! I am gonna try to turn TC off and hope for the best!

51 minutes ago, Fionnlagh said:

It's helpful to go into controller settings and up the Throttle and braking linearity to 50. This makes the triggers less sensitive, giving you a little better feel and control. TC off, once you get the hang of it, is a big speed boost. To me TC feels like you're driving around the track with a parachute deployed.

Short shifting coming out of turns is helpful if you're spinning alot with tc off. As far as abs, I'm not sure how much quicker I am with it off but I've gotten used to it off and feel sluggish with it on. 

Oooh thank you, I am gonna set it to 50 when I am training with TC off!

I want to be as fast as possible with less assists so these tips are very very usefull. 

Thank you everyone for all the tips!

Much love to you! ❤️

• Agree 1

One other thing I learned over on the f1 reddit was to set a rival in TT and turn telemetry on, racing line off. This allows you to see their racing line which is usually faster the game racing line. You can also see their braking points which I've found very useful. 

• Thanks 2

To avoid possible disappoint I'll mention that the speed advantage between medium TC and ABS being on vs off in F1 2020 is actually fairly minimal, which is why you'll see quite a lot of fast times set by players using these. The following video gives some idea of what the differences actually are. As a relative beginner myself I'll say that while I drive with these assists off, realistically I'd probably still be faster if I switched them back on again. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from switching assists off as I think it's far more enjoyable to feel you are in greater control but the argument to do it to be faster is not as clear-cut as I believe it has been in previous games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to F1 2020 on Controller/Wheel/Assists
9 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

To avoid possible disappoint I'll mention that the speed advantage between medium TC and ABS being on vs off in F1 2020 is actually fairly minimal, which is why you'll see quite a lot of fast times set by players using these. The following video gives some idea of what the differences actually are. As a relative beginner myself I'll say that while I drive with these assists off, realistically I'd probably still be faster if I switched them back on again. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from switching assists off as I think it's far more enjoyable to feel you are in greater control but the argument to do it to be faster is not as clear-cut as I believe it has been in previous games.

Yeah with less assists youre more in control of your own car. Its greater to drive then. I want that and I am gonna use all the tips above in my post here! 😄 

• Like 2
On 5/17/2021 at 6:41 PM, BarryB said:

I struggle with manual gears on my XBox controller but I do like to override them occasionally like short shifting in an effort to counteract wheel spin.

• Social Media & Community Team

My settings might help; by turning the linearity values up to around 50 you should have a less "jumpy" throttle and brake, making it easier to drive without assists. 

You still need to play about with the Differential and Brake Bias a bit (lower is better for both, generally) but no-assist pad play is doable.

As for Traction Control and ABS, I have guides on those too but I'll link the official ones (which I helped create) here:

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, PJTierney said:

My settings might help; by turning the linearity values up to around 50 you should have a less "jumpy" throttle and brake, making it easier to drive without assists. 

You still need to play about with the Differential and Brake Bias a bit (lower is better for both, generally) but no-assist pad play is doable.

As for Traction Control and ABS, I have guides on those too but I'll link the official ones (which I helped create) here:

Thank you very much for the advice! 

I will look into it tomorrow and I am gonna practice very very hard! 😄

Edited by Martijn5402