Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Codemasters F1 Series = finally its a kiddie game

The 'why not play another game' argument is often put forward by people from various perspectives but doesn't really hold for me. The Codemasters F1 games are unique in what they offer, in terms of providing all F1 tracks, cars, drivers and the associated career mode experiences. I believe mods to PC games may get close in some regards but on consoles there is nothing even remotely comparable.

• Agree 2

Agreed with @Ultra3142. On the PC you need mods for that, but there is no way on the consoles. There are occasional games on the consoles where there are one or two F1 cars, but then all the rest is missing, and F2 is actually never there.

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

The 'why not play another game' argument is often put forward by people from various perspectives but doesn't really hold for me. The Codemasters F1 games are unique in what they offer, in terms of providing all F1 tracks, cars, drivers and the associated career mode experiences. I believe mods to PC games may get close in some regards but on consoles there is nothing even remotely comparable.

I would also say that on consoles it is probably the second/third game in terms of realism: Assetto Corsa first (ACC/AC1), Dirt Rally (1/2.0) second and F1 or PC2 third.

Dirt Rally belongs to a different genre so...

Personally I'd take F1 over PC2 any day of the week. F1 is simcade but in terms of realism on consoles is up there. Context and standards change a lot between PC and consoles...

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

I would also say that on consoles it is probably the second/third game in terms of realism: Assetto Corsa first (ACC/AC1), Dirt Rally (1/2.0) second and F1 or PC2 third.

Dirt Rally belongs to a different genre so...

Personally I'd take F1 over PC2 any day of the week. F1 is simcade but in terms of realism on consoles is up there. Context and standards change a lot between PC and consoles...

CM's F1 definitely had found a good balance for being a simcade.

Improvement on the physics model to chase for more realism is always a welcome. I wouldn't be too concern about the difficulty of playing it with a controller since even AC is fine using that, but at the same time, I think it's fine for F1 to stay the way it is now. 

Edited by DRTApophis
12 hours ago, Tomasslb24 said:

I just can't believe for most of the replies made in this topic. It's just incredible how annoying people are of wanting a full simulation game. This game is not meant to be like that, is made so every type of person are able to play the game. If you don't like this type of games and want a simulation game go play ACC or RFactor. No one is forcing you to pay for this game and play it.

Everyone is just jumping to conclusions without knowing nothing about the game, just because EA is now the publisher it does not mean that the game sucks now. Wait for the game to come out and than take your conclusions about it. Remember the last time we saw an F1 game made by EA (F1 challenge 99-02) the game was, for the time, quite good and maybe we can see that positive influence in the future.

Talking about the "F1 UT", for now we don't know anything about it and as @FTBuzzard said I don't see a way to make a mode like that in this game, however if you look closely there's a game called F1 mobile racing, that is closer to "UT", you play againts other people, improve your car with cards and I think you can buy loot crates to have more cards, like drivers and improvements, so they can take a better aproach to "F1 UT" in that area.

But please, just stop coming here to complain about something no one knows, its just boring to come here and see coments that does not help in any way.

The irony of this  is that this is the Official version of the game and not ' Grand prix whizz round racer 3'  or some other kiddies game , I mean seriously where would you expect to see a full representation of F1 , in the Official game that has all the cars and drivers licensed or In some independent title. But hey the games yours ; its locked in as an arcade game for as long as F1 IRL continues because that is where the **** $$$$$$$$$$$$ * ** is so cool your boots man ; driving in 'Goon' view is safe and episodes of ' Devon Dullard Street ' production and 'Track editor' and other ' Great ideas '   will waste valuable time and money from the production schedule  meaning that you will still be being rammed from behind and receiving penalties for things that are not your fault and endless other things that are essential requirements if you want to race properly that are broken in the game will not get addressed. None of this means anything  of course because if Code masters  F1 is 'Just a game' as I am constantly being reminded ; then it does not matter at all. ..............If this is just a game for enjoyment why would you want the cars rear wing to fall off and end your race.  There is a saying that sums up the whole thing and it is ' Too many cooks spoil the broth'

They are all just opinions yours , mine , his , hers , theirs , whoever. .......whatever.

9 hours ago, Exasperated said:

The irony of this  is that this is the Official version of the game and not ' Grand prix whizz round racer 3'  or some other kiddies game , I mean seriously where would you expect to see a full representation of F1 , in the Official game that has all the cars and drivers licensed or In some independent title. But hey the games yours ; its locked in as an arcade game for as long as F1 IRL continues because that is where the **** $$$$$$$$$$$$ * ** is so cool your boots man ; driving in 'Goon' view is safe and episodes of ' Devon Dullard Street ' production and 'Track editor' and other ' Great ideas '   will waste valuable time and money from the production schedule  meaning that you will still be being rammed from behind and receiving penalties for things that are not your fault and endless other things that are essential requirements if you want to race properly that are broken in the game will not get addressed. None of this means anything  of course because if Code masters  F1 is 'Just a game' as I am constantly being reminded ; then it does not matter at all. ..............If this is just a game for enjoyment why would you want the cars rear wing to fall off and end your race.  There is a saying that sums up the whole thing and it is ' Too many cooks spoil the broth'

They are all just opinions yours , mine , his , hers , theirs , whoever. .......whatever.

Fixing bugs like receiving penalties when you're rammed behind it's not asking for a simulation game neither is a justification to call this a kiddies game. It's a bug and I believe there's others simulation racing games with other types of bugs and no one complains that the game is for kids just because of that.

I do believe that the game could have more potential, like breaking the rear wing/better damage model (just like the game I mentioned in my comment), driving the car in the pits, having random mechanical issues depending of how badly is your engine in terms of wear (like 1% possibility of a gearbox problem if it is with 0% wear and would escalate in some way), however as Barry says a lot, there are lot of people, and not only kids, that want to play the game without being a hardcore driver and losing a race because of an engine problem in the last lap, Of course, the easiest way was to put an option in the settings to turn on or off this, but we don't know how difficult it might be for them and I will not judge them because im not the one developing the game.

People just need to be patient and when the game comes out than we can talk about the bugs and possible features the game could have in the future.

• Agree 2
2 hours ago, Tomasslb24 said:

Fixing bugs like receiving penalties when you're rammed behind it's not asking for a simulation game neither is a justification to call this a kiddies game. It's a bug and I believe there's others simulation racing games with other types of bugs and no one complains that the game is for kids just because of that.

I do believe that the game could have more potential, like breaking the rear wing/better damage model (just like the game I mentioned in my comment), driving the car in the pits, having random mechanical issues depending of how badly is your engine in terms of wear (like 1% possibility of a gearbox problem if it is with 0% wear and would escalate in some way), however as Barry says a lot, there are lot of people, and not only kids, that want to play the game without being a hardcore driver and losing a race because of an engine problem in the last lap, Of course, the easiest way was to put an option in the settings to turn on or off this, but we don't know how difficult it might be for them and I will not judge them because im not the one developing the game.

People just need to be patient and when the game comes out than we can talk about the bugs and possible features the game could have in the future.

What's wrong with calling this a kiddies game ? , its a game for all including kids , why would anyone be offended by the use of that term to describe the game , Its a computer game for kiddies and adults can have a play if they want to.

I think its well understood what this game is and who its aimed at but it is interesting to see how wound up people get at the thought of the game becoming a hard core sim and for obvious reasons , The laughable thing is that it is also obvious to anyone with any intelligence that the developers will never make this series into a hard core sim, and so people getting upset about fantasist hard core sim enthusiasts campaigning for this is just wasted energy.

If code masters ever did make a hard core sim of F1 it would be made as a separate game and sold along side the ' Kiddies' version of the game and this hard core sim would have to be at the behest of the Owners of EA because they wanted a Hard core sim version made available, it could happen but lets face it it is extremely unlikely.

Us hard core sim enthusiasts can dream ...........https://youtu.be/oAnPAAuP_xg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tomasslb24 said:

Finding the perfect balance between sim and arcade it's really hard, because some people loves F1 and wanna drive around Monaco without stressing himself driving on a hardcore game, and others who loves F1 too, want to drive in Monaco without assistis and the maximum difficult as possible, so, we have two demand and they both must be done.

Im more like a sim guy, a do prefer a more hardcore sim in F1, but that is just selfish by my side and we need to think about other too. So for me, like @Tomasslb24said are a bunch of things who turns the game more a sim without making the handling a full hardcore sim, like be abble to drive in pitlane, the engine sound, for me the camera settings, god i miss be abble to drive on a dashboard cam.

Another thing is the AI if they manage to do an eSports AI level, it will be so cool, cus for me 110 AI is a bit slow, the small things make a huge difference and i love f1 by codemasters, i can be faster with some difficult and be abble to enjoy it, so, i belive on Codemasters and this year game will be so much better, for both demands. I Just want to drive with Mercedes on Imola and Portimão and perhaps with a better AI, that is the definition of sim for me.

Edited by ParadoxAMG53
  • Agree 1

The official F1 games from Codies are just that: video game. Nothing's wrong with this.

There are other titles out there that provide me with a LOT more regarding everything how it feels and drive an F1 car. I just had a race in AC against AI with the F310B in Spain in VR, no HUD, no assists. I never had a bigger smile on my face at the end of any session. Just absolutely amazing (the car and the experience).

That being said, I still like Codies F1 game.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ParadoxAMG53 said:

Another thing is the AI if they manage to do an eSports AI level, it will be so cool, cus for me 110 AI is a bit slow

That's something they really need to fix. There are tracks where the AI are absolutely beast tier, like spain and than tracks where they are so slow that you can almost win with your first season my team car, like austria. 

I already saw a thread about it saying that's because the driving style you have on a certain track and for that you should change the difficulty depending on the track, but that makes absolutely no sense and would be pretty boring to change the diff every single session. 

Edited by Tomasslb24
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Tomasslb24 said:

That's something they really need to fix. There are tracks where the AI are absolutely beast tier, like spain and than tracks where they are so slow that you can almost win with your first season my team car, like austria. 

I already saw a thread about it saying that's because the driving style you have on a certain track and for that you should change the difficulty depending on the track, but that makes absolutely no sense and would be pretty boring to change the diff every single session. 

Agree, they have the option to make an beast AI and give a challenge for the player to have fun, an AI pushing you behinde or you trying to following someone it's pretty cool and necessary, makes you faster and precise, they need to step up the AI, like, we have 0-120 steps, make another 20 steps of difficult, i notice the AI is fast on tracks where straight line speed is the key, they are so slow on tracks who demands downforce, they really need to change this, cus the AI from Codemasters it's fine and they can make then some much faster, some eSports drivers complains about the 110 AI being so slow, even George Russel said it before, maybe they are adding something for this year game, lets just wait and hope for a better and faster AI. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, ParadoxAMG53 said:

Agree, they have the option to make an beast AI and give a challenge for the player to have fun, an AI pushing you behinde or you trying to following someone it's pretty cool and necessary, makes you faster and precise, they need to step up the AI, like, we have 0-120 steps, make another 20 steps of difficult, i notice the AI is fast on tracks where straight line speed is the key, they are so slow on tracks who demands downforce, they really need to change this, cus the AI from Codemasters it's fine and they can make then some much faster, some eSports drivers complains about the 110 AI being so slow, even George Russel said it before, maybe they are adding something for this year game, lets just wait and hope for a better and faster AI. 

The problem is they seems to run the exact same default car setup for every tracks, so whenever where maximum downforce is key they would be slow compare with players.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, DRTApophis said:

The problem is they seems to run the exact same default car setup for every tracks, so whenever where maximum downforce is key they would be slow compare with players.

I heard that before and i don't think is that kind hard to make the AI better and use the right setup for each track, at least force they use a right setup for Monaco for example.

@BarryBLCan you confirm this? The AI use the same setup for every track? Hope you can give us some good news about AI in a couple of days.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ParadoxAMG53 said:

I heard that before and i don't think is that kind hard to make the AI better and use the right setup for each track, at least force they use a right setup for Monaco for example.

@BarryBLCan you confirm this? The AI use the same setup for every track? Hope you can give us some good news about AI in a couple of days.

After quite many seasons playing the single player modes, I've been noticing having common issues of catching Ai on the straight in high downforce tracks (Monaco, Singapore, Hungary, etc.), while struggling to catch AI in corners on high speed tracks (Monza, Hanoi, etc.), and I've been using setups which people used in time trials.

Then I started to set up my wing as close to the default 10-12 points (in total) for every race tracks for my new career save, and noticed a huge difference in terms of how both my car and the Ai performs. Now the racing is much closer because the car characteristic are very similar between myself and the Ai (so you don't see Ai rocket pass you on long straight or vice-versa for example) which ends up making the race more fair and enjoyable. And that's how I came up with the conclusion of Ai using the default setup for every race. 

I even ran wet tracks with the same default dry track wing setup, and it worked wonderfully even when the track turns dry, because before I tried this the Ai became extremely fast on high speed section if you use high downforce + high ride height wet setups. So this probably proofed they at the very least used the same wing settings even on different weather. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 5/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, Exasperated said:

If code masters ever did make a hard core sim of F1 it would be made as a separate game and sold along side the ' Kiddies' version of the game and this hard core sim would have to be at the behest of the Owners of EA because they wanted a Hard core sim version made available, it could happen but lets face it it is extremely unlikely.

Apparently that won't stop you rabbiting on about it for months on end. 

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Apparently that won't stop you rabbiting on about it for months on end. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 2:10 PM, Exasperated said:

What's wrong with calling this a kiddies game ? , its a game for all including kids , why would anyone be offended by the use of that term to describe the game , Its a computer game for kiddies and adults can have a play if they want to.

I think its well understood what this game is and who its aimed at but it is interesting to see how wound up people get at the thought of the game becoming a hard core sim and for obvious reasons , The laughable thing is that it is also obvious to anyone with any intelligence that the developers will never make this series into a hard core sim, and so people getting upset about fantasist hard core sim enthusiasts campaigning for this is just wasted energy.

Us hard core sim enthusiasts can dream ...........https://youtu.be/oAnPAAuP_xg

On 5/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, Ultra3142 said:

The point made was simply that if you put the vast majority of us in a real F1 car and tried to match what we do in the game we would fail spectacularly, and so there is a limit to the realism that is ultimately desirable. 

Also note that BarryBL works for Codemasters. Possibly you realise this but the way you worded your reply to him suggests not.

There was no need to make the point in the first place. Whenever anyone tries to have a conversation about improving the game physics, someone on the forum always start talking about subjects such as, if we got the chance to drive something identical to the real thing, (I have doubts whether a real F1 sim, can actually simulator exactly the real thing)  or they might even mention something about g forces, which sounds way out of context, given that we play these games with a wheel or a pad. They usually bring up these subject, in a subtle attempt to close the discussion down.

Yes I know BarryBL works for cm, and I also believe his claims about massive steps forward in handling/physics are greatly exaggerated. In f1 2019 you could get the car up to near full speed, in the wettest condition, and as long as you didn't try to accelerate, you were able to drive the full length of the monza straight, with all four wheels on the grass, and still be in one piece. You can do exactly the same thing with f1 2020, hence the game is nowhere close to the real thing. 

It would be already a big step forward to fix all current issues that are known to the community.

If would because great step forward to fix the tracks, provide the tracks to reflect the name of the gam ( F1 2020 ?🤪)

A Great step forward to fix all the discussed MP issues.

Instead new story mode ???

instead classic drivers - driving on tracks they never drove 

Why not concentrate on the core of F1 And the competition a race Game asks for ?

Instead - story mode ? My Team - and Team Mode ??

Aftet 4 session in my Team I was able to beat the times off E-Sports professionals in Time Trials - with all assists on ???? balancing / cheating ??

I enyjoy very much the Grand Prix Mode of the Game - here you could challenge yourself by changing AI and or Team. And that is the main reason for buying it still.

I hope that some of the issues will be addressed and fixed - especially the MP part with cheaters driving just through you without damage or rammers that get away with their behavior -

and hopefully not again the sentence - and now to some questions……….

21 minutes ago, Shark2Racing said:

It would be already a big step forward to fix all current issues that are known to the community.

If would because great step forward to fix the tracks, provide the tracks to reflect the name of the gam ( F1 2020 ?🤪)

A Great step forward to fix all the discussed MP issues.

Instead new story mode ???

instead classic drivers - driving on tracks they never drove 

Why not concentrate on the core of F1 And the competition a race Game asks for ?

Instead - story mode ? My Team - and Team Mode ??

Aftet 4 session in my Team I was able to beat the times off E-Sports professionals in Time Trials - with all assists on ???? balancing / cheating ??

I enyjoy very much the Grand Prix Mode of the Game - here you could challenge yourself by changing AI and or Team. And that is the main reason for buying it still.

I hope that some of the issues will be addressed and fixed - especially the MP part with cheaters driving just through you without damage or rammers that get away with their behavior -

and hopefully not again the sentence - and now to some questions……….

Let's be fair, the issues where player usually mentioned will most likely never ever to appear in any trailers since they're literally not a selling point. if you're worry just wait till the game is out and read reviews before buying it, that's how it should be done on our side, always. 

Not to mention the unrealistic icon drivers contents are only limited to Deluxe version (at least for now), just ignore that and you're good to go. 

• Agree 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DRTApophis said:

Let's be fair, the issues where player usually mentioned will most likely never ever to appear in any trailers since they're literally not a selling point.

^This. It would be an unusual marketing campaign that focused on perceived flaws in a current product, particularly short YouTube trailers.

Plus developing story mode elements has been something I've seen many people ask for so it's not like this in itself is some crazy idea. 

Which is not in any way to say that I don't want to see improvements elsewhere in the game, or for that matter far more detailed information about F1 2021 to be shared by Codemasters. 

Edited by Ultra3142
1 hour ago, mahmutcan0163 said:

I dont understand why some people are complaning about story mode, just dont play it. Personally i really like story mode.

They are not complaining about story mode as such , they probably don't care about story mode at all. Story mode does not just appear fully made to insert into the game by 1 person pressing a button , it takes hours and hours of work and discussion by a fair number of staff members , and obviously (I would have thought) costs a lot of money to make and complete . As discussed on this forum there are a lot of little problems with basic game play that concerns the actual racing part of the game and a lot of things that could be added and improved to make the actual racing part of the game into a much better experience

You just bought a house and it needs completely renovating all the taps are leaking and some are seized solid and you cannot turn them on or off , you get a company in to manage the project and give them a budget to complete the work  and it is finite. The project manager has a liking for technological stuff and in his mind he wants to impress you by providing you with Solar power and heating because in his mind its a great addition to the build and will improve the saleability of the finished project ,  You are not that bothered about it and are a bit worried that the extra expense will affect the quality of other work in the project as the budget IS finite and the solar power and heating are expensive   OK you say as long as all the basic work is'nt affected . The said work is all undertaken  and finished. When you go to the property you find that all the taps haven't been fixed and are still leaking and some still seized up just as they were before and the toilets don't flush  but you find that all the rest of the property is fine,  the plastering of walls , the decorating is well done and you have a brilliant and impressive solar heating and power system installed with remote controllers so that you can sit on the settee and adjust and control the the whole thing , its great . all singing all dancing , the neighbours and your friends and family are well impressed with your solar power and heating system and all say that it will have made the property easier to sell adding it to the renovation, As you sit there at the property after they have all left you can hear the sound of dripping taps which makes you want to wee , you go to the toilet and use it but it wont flush , bzzzz,bzzz,......bzzz,bzzzz , "Hello" ......... Hey there its Richard; the project manager How d'ya like the Solar Energy package , its all the rage.

the problem with calling it a "kiddies game" as you say it, is a misrepresentation of the game and its audience, peppa pig is for "kiddies" hopscotch is for "kiddies" Formula 1 (in general not just the game) is intended for a general audience, so you calling it a "kiddies game" generally irks people by calling them children for playing the formula 1 game, and you keep saying that on purpose with full intention to annoy people.

24 minutes ago, CactusEverdeen said:

the problem with calling it a "kiddies game" as you say it, is a misrepresentation of the game and its audience, peppa pig is for "kiddies" hopscotch is for "kiddies" Formula 1 (in general not just the game) is intended for a general audience, so you calling it a "kiddies game" generally irks people by calling them children for playing the formula 1 game, and you keep saying that on purpose with full intention to annoy people.

I'm sorry but I cannot be held responsible fort the way adults feel about themselves as an  entity , anything that I say must be evaluated and considered by them and they must come to there own conclusions , on one hand I feel incredibly honoured to be  being considered so influential and on the other feel insulted., no adults can decide for themselves whether or not playing video games is a childish pursuit or not , its not for me to say.. Enjoy your racing.

• Disagree 1
On 5/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, weisiAUT said:

like i said: "build the greatest my team" in combination with pre order the deluxe edition for 7 iconic drivers with special ratings sounds similar like ultimate team from ea! thats what i tried to say.

and yes, driving a car without steering wheel is like kiddies play a f1 game. codemasters complety forget the sim racing community and instead of improving on gameplay and realism they make something like "build the greatest my team". money is the reason i think, so you need to pre order the deluxe edtion to get the best drivers.

it would be ok if they would also improve gameplay and realism for the big sim racing community.

but as always - on such type of forum there are a lot of fanboys.

@weisiAUT You should maybe start using your head a little bit.
- myTeam mode was allready a mode in 2020, it is not a multiplayer MODE like in Fifa, therefore it doesnt matter if you have the cheapest or the most expensive version of the game.
- If from the realism, if it stays like currently its okay isnt it? A huge number of players are casuals and not sim-players, cause they play iracing🙂
- What most of you forget, FIA / real F1 - has a say in the game. If they dont like something, then it will be never in the game. So dont worry about something like "p2w" like it is in fifa lmao

• Agree 1