Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Views on F1 2021 legendary driver choices

Posted (edited)

I like the line up what's just been announced ( Senna,Prost,Nico rosberg, Michael Schumacher, Coulthard, Massa, Button) but hope there will be more added later on drivers like Damon Hill, Mansell,James Hunt, Montoya,Jackie Stewart,Jean Alesi,Berger,Barrichello, Hakkinen,

Edited by Hubbard89
1 minute ago, Hubbard89 said:

I like the line up what's just been announced ( Senna,Prost,Nico rosberg, Michael Schumacher, Coulthard, Massa, Button) but hope there will be more added later on drivers like Damon Hill, Mansell,James Hunt, Montoya,Jackie Stewart,Jean Alesi,Berger,Barrichello,

Who knows, hopefully in additions!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mahmutcan0163 said:

I was expecting Lauda.

Hopefully they might add more down the line or more next year but I do like the idea of having a legendary team mate I would of liked to of picked Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell

• Agree 1

Massa a bit soon and is he really a legend? Sounds more like him as a pick is just an easy way for Codemasters to add a legend to their roster. They’ve got all of his ingame face expressions etc. already from earlier games.

Hakkinen would have been a far better choice yeah.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

Why Nico Rosberg!? Why is he legendary? Is it because he got lucky and immediately quit, because he knew that there's no chance he could beat Hamilton twice? Is that it? 

Edited by ICE95
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 4
2 hours ago, DutchRacer87 said:

Massa a bit soon and is he really a legend? Sounds more like him as a pick is just an easy way for Codemasters to add a legend to their roster. They’ve got all of his ingame face expressions etc. already from earlier games.

Hakkinen would have been a far better choice yeah.

I agree with Massa argument don't get me wrong he's is good racer but not a world champion same as Coulthard it would of made sence to add Hakkinen or Hill might be down to image/ likeness issues but either way I'm looking forward to being able to use classic F1 drivers as team mates in my team 

Posted (edited)

You will never make everybody happy with a choice of 7 out of all the F1 drivers of all times, sure, but man is this an odd lineup to say the least. "7 iconic F1 drivers for use in myteam", do Felipe Massa and David Coulthard really live up to that statement, what excactly is iconic about these two? Rosberg and Button, at least champions, but do you guys think of them as "iconic" F1 drivers?

You could argue Niki Lauda (died last year btw) not being a driver during modern times, but neither was Senna, neither was Prost. You could argue Codemasters being located in GB and thus favoring british drivers, but why Coulthard instead of Nigel Mansell, or Damon Hill? You could argue you wanted to include an unexpected odd choice, but why Massa and not, say, Hakkinen, Piquet or Villeneuve? Someone like Alex Zanardi who gave this sport and the world so much with his unique career and life, would have been an awesome iconic addition as well. And Michael Schumacher, while no doubt he has to be named among any choice of iconic F1 drivers, he was content of the F1 2020 edition already. But it is what it is.

Judging from the videoclip I dont think the character models look too fancy either, but I will wait and see how they look in the real game on PC first, so that may be way too early to judge.

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, ICE95 said:

Why Nico Rosberg!? Why is he legendary? Is it because he got lucky and immediately quit, because he knew that there's no chance he could beat Hamilton twice? Is that it? 

How often was Hamilton beaten by his teammate? I guess a lot of people miss the battles between him and Hamilton while seeing Bottas struggeling with a Williams.

• Agree 1

With no offence meant to the drivers themselves, I suspect a major reason for including the likes of Coulthard and Massa is to provide some cheaper 'icons' that will be more affordable in earlier My Team seasons.

Like others I wouldn't be shocked if we found some more former drivers became available later on in some way, depending on the reaction to the idea I suppose.

Oof I got 5/7. Would never have guessed Coulthard and Massa to be honest. Massa at least could still be racing since hes around the same age as Kimi and Fernando but DC is the odd one. Not complaining though, the more the better. I imagine they'll add more down the line.

I also imagine you'll be able to stop them from being in the career mode if you choose. I just hope if you choose to enable them that other teams can hire them too and that they're not just exclusive to the players team.

They're out of touch with this IMO.  Why would I want to start my team mode with guys who haven't raced in years?!?!   Sure, it's a cool arcadey feature and option to have, but I want REALISTIC driver options.  Like current F1 reserve/test drivers, CURRENT (not 2020) F2 drivers, F3 drivers.  You know; real drivers that actually I'd have the possibility to hire if I started my own team.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

maybe its more of a 'more known drivers' theme, with obv prost and senna very well known as classics, massa being a big fan favourite and loveable guy, DC because he runs commentary a lot of people would know him from that, and rosberg because of how recent he is and still heavily involved in motorsport and f1.

more fans of a certain demographic would more readily know these individuals who correlate with the playerbase for this game and maybe thats why they picked them, they felt they resonated more with the greater fanbase.....?