Jump to content Jump to content

Views on F1 2021 legendary driver choices


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Sector4 said:

Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Button, Rosberg... Sure, why not, of course.

Coulthard? Massa? Those two stick out as odd choices. 

In the 4 page prediction thread exactly 1 poster mentioned Coulthard and none of them mentioned Massa. 

I understand them not giving us Mika or Nigel, though, because they haven't officially retired yet. 

There could be many reasons behind the scenes of why the list is the way it is now...be it a valid reason or malicious intent. 

First few things that came in mind are how time is always limited and the agreements (or disagreement) on allowing the game to use the image of certain drivers. The idea of implementing historic drivers could be confirmed too late in the development schedule which limited how many models they could create. Certain drivers could also be quite anal with their terms on how they should be represent in games and such which made things difficult.

And then there's the design aspect of the gameplay. I could see the dev didn't want to waterdown the game with an enormous list of best (or most popular) drivers. I mean...first it could very easily upset people on the balancing side of things if they do it in one-go, second it certainly would make them individually feel less special since "Everyone of them is the best"...

It also left the possibility open to add some second-line drivers like Hulk because the list is never meant to only contain the best of the bests.

On the malicious side, the dev could always wanted to hold contents up for future DLC purposes...businesses wise it made sense with the current trend of game-making. Though, as long as they aren't too pricey or fell into the EA gambling ******** I'm fine with it, just look at it as an extra support for the dev we loved. 

 

 

Edited by DRTApophis
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sector4 said:

I think fantasy and wish fulfillment belongs in video games. Like the players themselves becoming a Formula 1 driver in Career mode even though they are probably too tall, too heavy, too poor, too inexperienced and not fit enough for it to be REALISTIC in REAL life for REAL. Or taking Williams or Haas from the bottom to the top.

I'm an old guy by this forum's standards and for me something like these classic drivers was something I wanted from F1 games when I was a kid. Still do. I'm a big Schumacher fan and for me it's more fun to have him as my teammate in my own team than some 19 year old Lirimbent Drugoviscaalchung straight from F2.

Even better if we can use the assets of those drivers to create them for Career mode like last year. The only thing that kept me from focusing 100% on MyTeam was the unique possibility of driving as Schumacher with Hamilton as my teammate to see who would be the first one to win 8 titles. Didn't even skip the post-race cutscenes because seeing my hero on the screen always made me happy. Maybe this year I could have Rosberg make a sensational comeback against Hamilton. Or maybe I could put Massa at Alpine to see if Fernando is still faster than him. I also always wanted to see Button at Ferrari, maybe I can make that happen now. Or maybe he could finally go full circle and jump back in the car at Williams?

That's fine to have them as options; I think the more options we have for drivers to hire as your "My Team" mode second driver the better.  I just don't personally see the appeal of classic drivers.  I get why others would and that's fine, but why are we not focusing on add more REAL available drivers.  Heck I'd even be OK with made up drivers like we end up with in Madden draft classes, Fifa etc.    There just isn't enough options currently in the mode to sustain a 10 year career.

I get the other scenarios you're laying out, but that's just the thing here.  You can't actually do any of that with these "classic" drivers.  It sounds as if you can only hire them into your team as second driver. You have no control over whether other teams hire them or not.  So the ability to put Massa at Alpine just isn't available, so again... why are we adding them?

My concern here is if these classic drivers end up in the drivers pool are a team like Williams or Haas going to drop one of their drivers and hire one of these legends?  If so, that's completely going to break the mode for most players aside from the few who want that nostalgic factor.   It again brings me back to my original point of give us more realistic driver options or just give us full team control to change driver rosters as we see fit within the my team and career modes because the AI logic in place for hiring/firing drivers seems mediocre at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
20 hours ago, Sector4 said:

I understand them not giving us Mika or Nigel, though, because they haven't officially retired yet. 

We've been caught in HD here @Sector4!!

Jokes aside, my favourite comment of the week. Made me laugh that one 😛 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petro1319 said:

That's fine to have them as options; I think the more options we have for drivers to hire as your "My Team" mode second driver the better.  I just don't personally see the appeal of classic drivers.  I get why others would and that's fine, but why are we not focusing on add more REAL available drivers.  Heck I'd even be OK with made up drivers like we end up with in Madden draft classes, Fifa etc.    There just isn't enough options currently in the mode to sustain a 10 year career.

I get the other scenarios you're laying out, but that's just the thing here.  You can't actually do any of that with these "classic" drivers.  It sounds as if you can only hire them into your team as second driver. You have no control over whether other teams hire them or not.  So the ability to put Massa at Alpine just isn't available, so again... why are we adding them?

My concern here is if these classic drivers end up in the drivers pool are a team like Williams or Haas going to drop one of their drivers and hire one of these legends?  If so, that's completely going to break the mode for most players aside from the few who want that nostalgic factor.   It again brings me back to my original point of give us more realistic driver options or just give us full team control to change driver rosters as we see fit within the my team and career modes because the AI logic in place for hiring/firing drivers seems mediocre at best.

Only we can hire them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be a downer about this but it feels odd to me to have some of these drivers included as being able to drive for your team in a current F1 season. And if this is what they are touting as additions/improvements then it makes me feel question if they have improved anything else. I know it’s not flashy to say “updated damage model!” Or things like that but I was really hoping they would focus on developing multiplayer. Adding these drivers is just a typical EA marketing gimmick to me. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, stuffedpenguin said:

Not to be a downer about this but it feels odd to me to have some of these drivers included as being able to drive for your team in a current F1 season. And if this is what they are touting as additions/improvements then it makes me feel question if they have improved anything else. I know it’s not flashy to say “updated damage model!” Or things like that but I was really hoping they would focus on developing multiplayer. Adding these drivers is just a typical EA marketing gimmick to me. 

Not trying to defend EA or something, but the idea of hiring historical players in management games that are either retired or even passed away was not a new idea at all. I've had played some Japanese-made football management games during the Dreamcast era that features this exact ability, the series started all the way back in Sega Saturn which I bet had this feature as well because it had been a staple of the series.  

Edited by DRTApophis
Link to post
Share on other sites

They will obviously add more as DLC as time goes on.  That seems obvious to me.  They will charge for their cars, liveries and racing attire too.

One bright light was the the graphics.  I know it said not game graphics but the rotating facial models are leaps and bounds ahead of the 2010 style static ones that they have used the past several years.  Maybe the graphics engine is getting its much needed overhaul finally.  How else are they going to sell us RTX 4000 cards next year if last gen cards run this at 200fps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuffedpenguin said:

Not to be a downer about this but it feels odd to me to have some of these drivers included as being able to drive for your team in a current F1 season. And if this is what they are touting as additions/improvements then it makes me feel question if they have improved anything else. I know it’s not flashy to say “updated damage model!” Or things like that but I was really hoping they would focus on developing multiplayer. Adding these drivers is just a typical EA marketing gimmick to me. 

I would imagine there's going to be an option to have legends on or off in your 'my team' save. Don't forgot those with the standard version won't have these drivers available.

 

I would also imagine these 7 drivers avatars will be available in the selection of faces when creating your driver in much the same way Prost, Senna and Schumacher have been previously. So in effect you could be any of these 7 drivers in driver career instead...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sadler said:

I would imagine there's going to be an option to have legends on or off in your 'my team' save. Don't forgot those with the standard version won't have these drivers available.

As was linked to above, the control will be via it only being the player who can recruit the iconic drivers.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the iconic / not iconic discussion: I wrote this before somewhere else, but concerning myteam driver choices, wouldnt it be possible to simply provide the drivers who have an active super license by the time the 2021 season was started? AFAIK it is nowadays not too easy to claim a super license, so its not too many drivers who have one and are not retired or inactive in the other hand. Maybe someone has data, how many drivers would be eligible to jump into an F1 car at once = who has an active super license? I have googled that, but only found this outdated article about it:

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-f1-2020-reserve-drivers-list-of-formula-1-drivers-eligible-to-become-team-reserves-this-season/

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schneehase said:

Apart from the iconic / not iconic discussion: I wrote this before somewhere else, but concerning myteam driver choices, wouldnt it be possible to simply provide the drivers who have an active super license by the time the 2021 season was started? AFAIK it is nowadays not too easy to claim a super license, so its not too many drivers who have one and are not retired or inactive in the other hand. Maybe someone has data, how many drivers would be eligible to jump into an F1 car at once = who has an active super license? I have googled that, but only found this outdated article about it:

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-f1-2020-reserve-drivers-list-of-formula-1-drivers-eligible-to-become-team-reserves-this-season/

 

I would certainly hope it's possible to have a much bigger driver roster in the market with this idea. Though I'm not sure how CM did their character models, may be they take way too much time to create so just throwing a big fishing net to catch as many drivers as possible might not be a realistic idea.

Anyways atm we'll be sticking with this list, if it turns out to be a brilliant idea I bet EA would do whatever they can to push it further (But CM please keep it under your control!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll repeat myself: will we be able to disable them if we want a realistic career?

 

I don't wanna see Raikkonen retiring and AI teams getting Schumi or Prost if I'm trying to do a realistic career.

 

The perfect solution will be like PES: an option to enable or disable them. If they're enabled, every team can sign them, if not anyone except you can sign them.

Anyway, disappointed that like always F1 started with Prost and Senna, nothing happened before. Other drivers from '80s or '70s/'60s/'50s should be included: Fangio (5 WC in 4 teams, in the 50s, for me the truly GOAT), Lauda, Clark, Ascari, Farina, Mansell, Piquet, Surtees (the only one to win a WC in Motorcycle and F1), G. Villeneuve, they're iconic too.

Ok, it's all about rights, but it's sad

Edited by pspps1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pspps1 said:

I'll repeat myself: will we be able to disable them if we want a realistic career?

As I said above, the player has control since only they can hire the iconic drivers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

As I said above, the player has control since only they can hire the iconic drivers. 

I think what he meant was if it's possible to completely disable them from appearing in the driver's market so it doesn't ruin the immersion because it doesn't look realistic. Though we won't know until the game comes out, I personally do prefer them giving us that option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sector4 said:

Yes, there is.

Don't buy the deluxe edition. Then you won't have the classic drivers in the game. That's the only way.

If you DO buy the deluxe edition, the classic drivers WILL show up in the driver market inside MyTeam. But only the player can hire them, so what's the big deal? 

The other teams can't hire any of the classic drivers at any point so there is no way for unrealistic stuff to happen unless the player actively wants it.

So that's the part I was missing then.  I wasn't aware that ONLY the player could hire them.  If that's the case; great.  It's an option for those who want it and for those who don't.  My fear was seeing them being hired by the CPU teams.   Again, that could be alleviated by giving full customization options to the player when it comes to drivers/rosters/ratings, but I doubt that will happen as it has never seemed to be a thing in racing games; likely due to licensing issues.

Again though, I think the big thing that's holding back the my team mode and career mode is driver pools, and customization etc.  I feel like I'm beating a dead horse with that topic around here though,

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sector4 said:

Yes, there is.

Don't buy the deluxe edition. Then you won't have the classic drivers in the game. That's the only way.

If you DO buy the deluxe edition, the classic drivers WILL show up in the driver market inside MyTeam. But only the player can hire them, so what's the big deal? 

The other teams can't hire any of the classic drivers at any point so there is no way for unrealistic stuff to happen unless the player actively wants it.

We're talking about an option within the game, of course we all know not buying the Deluxe Edition is an option too but it has different meaning. The thing is, some people prefer to have an in-game option where they could switch it on-off whenever they like it. For example, I could have my first career save to be as realistic as possible, but then in my career save B I wanted a fantasy career where it's literally a different universe from real life.

It's pretty convenient if you can have this as an option, I don't think it's a bad idea.

You could say "just don't hire the historic drivers", which is correct, but it's not the same if you're nitpicky LOL

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely in the "for" crowd on this one, having schumacher or senna on my team just to spice things up is real nice, and only the player can pick them as an option for those who want the realism. i really dont see a downside here, they are available for people that want them and not forced for those who dont.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2021 at 2:18 AM, Sector4 said:

Schumacher & Hamilton both have 7 titles.

The only man to beat them BOTH in the same team? 

Nico Rosberg. 

So you're saying Rosberg is better than Hamilton and Schumacher? Really!? I'm I missing something? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't have the WDC in recent decades, i.e. include Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen, in addition to Aryton Senna, Alain Prost, Michael Schumacher, Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg?

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...