Jump to content Jump to content

Views on F1 2021 legendary driver choices

Having the iconic drivers is EA's decision and I just disagree with it.  Games have to be developed.  This took away precious development time from certain people who could be tuning / reworking the parts of the game that were obviously lacking / bugs last year.  And maybe we will have it all and everyone will be happy happy.   But here we are less than 2 months from release and we haven't seen one second of gameplay footage.

45 minutes ago, stuffedpenguin said:

Having the iconic drivers is EA's decision and I just disagree with it.  Games have to be developed.  This took away precious development time from certain people who could be tuning / reworking the parts of the game that were obviously lacking / bugs last year.  And maybe we will have it all and everyone will be happy happy.   But here we are less than 2 months from release and we haven't seen one second of gameplay footage.

While I agree that the lack of gameplay footage is concerning; it's not too big of a surprise considering it's EA now and they came into power late into the cycle here.  They're pretty meticulous in how they tend to craft pre-release screens and gameplay footage.   However I personally think you may be overstating the impact on development time these classic drivers took.  I don't think its so much that it's taken away from other area's.  It's just some visual art and character models. It's not like this was some major undertaking to develop special scenes, missions, cut scenes etc. for each driver.  It's just likely a face scan stuck onto one of the generic body/character types they already have.  I just don't believe this was too time consuming for them.  However that being said I get your concern with it.   I share the same feeling, but for me rather than adding classic/historic drivers into MY TEAM mode, I'd rather they added REAL and CURRENT and even some randomly generated drivers into My Team mode to keep it fresh and interesting through the 10 years in the mode.   In year 9 of My Team mode, why do I still only have 2020 F2 drivers to hire with OVR ratings in the 50's and 60's?  Where's the replay value in that?  Why do I want to keep progressing My Team into what should be 2029, with the same crop of drivers I could have hired in 2020? 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stuffedpenguin said:

Isn't having more selection in the driver's market an improvement to the game mode? or do you just want the exact same game as last year with only small tweaks but charges you full price? Wasn't that kind of business model what people hated about EA the most other than the microtransactions?

Edited by DRTApophis
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stuffedpenguin said:

Having the iconic drivers is EA's decision

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you don't actually know that, and I suspect it's not true. Also bear in mind that there seem to be plenty of fans of the F1 games who see this feature as a good thing so arguably whoever made the decision to offer this DLC wasn't totally misguided. (Although I'm not interested in it myself.)

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

Isn't having more selection in the driver's market an improvement to the game mode? or do you just want the exact same game as last year with only small tweaks but charges you full price? Wasn't that kind of business model what people hated about EA the most other than the microtransactions?

No, this is not the way.  Get serious about F1.  Have F2 and F3 ready to go at release.  Work out the bugs on multiplayer. Develop the AI such that they don't drive like robots half the time.  I don't care much for the My Team but do enjoy Driver Career.  But the multiplayer is atrocious and with their focus on Esports, why this is not getting more attention baffles me. 

All that said, I hope I am proven wrong because I love Codies and want this to go well for them.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stuffedpenguin said:

No, this is not the way.  Get serious about F1.  Have F2 and F3 ready to go at release.  Work out the bugs on multiplayer. Develop the AI such that they don't drive like robots half the time.  I don't care much for the My Team but do enjoy Driver Career.  But the multiplayer is atrocious and with their focus on Esports, why this is not getting more attention baffles me. 

All that said, I hope I am proven wrong because I love Codies and want this to go well for them.

Fair enough, we certainly have different preferences on what we wanted to see improves in the game. 

For me, MyTeam is pretty much the only thing I care. Be it a more in depth management system or driver selections or better AI, as long as it enhance the gameplay of that mode it would be a plus for me. As for multiplayer, I've gotten tired of racing people who don't know what they're doing, and gave up that mode way before myself experiencing any bugs that ruin the gameplay LOL.

In a negative way to look at it, no matter how much improvement they made to the multiplayer, you still can't change the people who played it. Might as well focus on the single player modes which seems to be what made the series so special. 

Edited by DRTApophis

I'm very happy with the selection this year. Senna, Prost and Schumacher I was expecting as they have been in the previous games. Massa, Rosberg and Button were great additions especially seeing as they are fairly recent drivers and Coulthard was cool to see as well.

It will be interesting to see what future editions of the game would include. I definitely see Hamilton, Vettel & Raikkonen being there and maybe Webber, Hill, Schumacher (Ralf) and Hakkiknen 

• Agree 1
5 minutes ago, Sector4 said:

That's why they removed all the pre-1988 classic cars, too. The interest is simply not there to warrant any big investment. 

I agree. It similar to F2. I will admit that I neglected that mode in F1 2O2O because there wasn't really any incentive to play it outside of driver career and even then it was only 1 season and then you moved to F1. 

I think F2 needs a lot more work. Maybe have a story mode and bring back Weber and include Butler (I know he's in braking point but we don't know to what extent yet

To be honest, I just think it's really disappointing. There are all sorts of features players have been asking to be added to My Team. Heck, there's even an entire forum set up by Codies for game suggestions. And what do we get? Completely unrealistic drivers, literally (in one case) brought back from the dead (and don't get me started on how disrespectful that is). Feels like a wasted opportunity.

It's something extra so that's always good, whether you want to you use those drivers or not. They also could have added none of these drivers. Some will like it, some don't and if it's not for you then let others who do like it just enjoy it.

As far as the selection, it seems like they have divided it in three tiers:
1) The greatest of greatest (multiple world champions)
2) Recent champions (one time world champions that have not been out of the sport for too long)
3) Race winners (drivers who where in the sport not that long ago and have multiple race wins and where close to winning a championship)

If you look at the selections from the three tier way i think it's hard to have made better choices then they have.

• Agree 3
On 5/21/2021 at 9:42 AM, TIHG said:

To be honest, I just think it's really disappointing. There are all sorts of features players have been asking to be added to My Team. Heck, there's even an entire forum set up by Codies for game suggestions. And what do we get? Completely unrealistic drivers, literally (in one case) brought back from the dead (and don't get me started on how disrespectful that is). Feels like a wasted opportunity.

just because icons are coming to the my team mode doesn't mean thats the only new feature. Codemasters hasn't revealed anything about the my team mode yet.

• Agree 1
On 5/21/2021 at 3:42 AM, TIHG said:

The funny thing is, I'm probably the one who suggested that idea and they listened LOL

Posted (edited)

It does seem the prevailing opinion of alot of these comments is positive for the inclusion of extra characters.  It was regularly stated that career save variety was limited as you'd have 40 potential teammates in F12020. Now, Grosjean, Kimi and Seb will all retire within the first season or two and then a few more like Lewis and Daniel would dwindle away after year 3 or 4. So for long term saves, you're committed to the young F1 drivers and the F2 drivers. Now, most of the F2 2019 pool didn't 'wow' me. I liked the idea of getting Mick to a title like his dad, there was a story in Calderon being a female driver, De Vries being a winner who didn't get promoted and from there, alot of drivers weren't exciting. I'd no interest in the likes of Boschung, Ghiotto, Boccolacci, etc. So there were maybe 6-8 drivers in total that i'd be interested in getting and by the time the F1 drivers actually want to come to your team, you're already basically at the front of the pack.

So more drivers was pretty much a necessity to improve immersion and I knew it'd probably be legends they include but I was personally hoping for one of two options;

• A Codemasters era driver pool. I accept they won't have the faces for the early ones as it was just their eyes between the helmet but generating a character face model shouldn't be too difficult. So you could still have a Senna (Bruno, not Aryton), Kovalainen with his angry birds helmet, Maldonado and his meme potential, Vandoorne would be able to have another shot and Hulky can finally get a podium. Massa, Rosberg and Button would still be able to get in. Now that's alot of characters so it doesn't have to be them ALL, just a handful of the more desirable ones. At least it adds a dash of realism while adding variety and the younger generation will have a closer attachment to them as they'd have either seen them race or played with them on a previous game.  Most of them could probably use their actual helmets they used in real life as the Cartoony style logo-free helmets of Schumi/Senna/Prost didn't appeal aesthetically to me and I imagine it'll be a similar story with the legends this time around.
  • An F3 introduction. Now, it doesn't really make sense to make these drivers sensible from the get-go as the likes of 16 year old Pourchaire wouldn't be ready for the big leagues at the very start so they'd be really cheap with really low stats. There'd be mileage in having these slowly increase in stats throughout the seasons so that they become viable options in seasons 3 and 4 when the first F1 drivers are leaving.  What i'd like would be a non-playable view-only tab for F2 and F3 where those seasons run concurrently alongside the F1 season so you can see how other drivers are getting on. So at the start of season 2, 3 and so on, you may have drivers from F3 that are now in F2 and you can monitor their progress and stats before promoting them to your team. 

Furthermore, the choices themselves aren't totally bizarre in terms of realism, except for one.

Senna, Prost and Schumacher have had their own editions over the last two years so the models and helmets and everything are already there. So, their inclusion is negligible as it was more of a case of "we have them, so why not use them".  Massa, Rosberg and Button have all retired in the last 5 years so a sensational story-based post-retire return a la Schumi and Alonso isn't completely out of the question. (I know Alonso never retired but we all thought he was basically dusted).  That just leaves Coulthard as the only outlier. 

Now, I get that we're probably thin on legends from the last decade and that was the best they could probably do.  But if we're looking at decent drivers (like Massa level) who have driven in the last decade then Webber and Barrichello could be options for early Icons that won't break the bank. 

I imagine it should just be drivers from the last 20 years so Villeneuve and Hakkinen are realistic 'legends' as title winners and Hill may be a fraction too dated but he may scrape in if low on numbers. So drivers like Fisichella, Montoya and Ralf could be 'Icons' as drivers that have won races but not got a title. I, personally, would enjoy a JPM teammate. 

• Mika is probably a 90 as he's fast and popular.
  • Villeneuve an 88 as he was fast but only had two seasons where he was 'on it'. 
  • Hill an 89 as he was a contender for a while but only won the one.

So they're like a second wave to the Mid 90's of Senna, Schumi and Prost.

• Fisi is probably an 85 as that's the lowest level a legend should probably have and he wasn't sensational,
  • JPM an 88 as he was faster than Coulthard's 87 and people adored him after he left. 
  • Webber an 87 as he did get quite a few wins but wasn't really at Vettels level. (I think this will cause issues as he'd probably have a higher rating than Seb has in this game. Although 2010-2013 Seb is 92-93 easy)
  • Barrichello an 87 as Massa got 86 and Barrichello did being a semi-contender for longer than Massa.  

I don't imagine there'd need to be any more than 11-12 drivers so they're the most likely of the recent age, i'd say.

• Drivers like Piquet, Mansell and Berger were probably just out of the time window for inclusion.
  • Frentzen, Trulli, Alesi, Heidfeld, Irvine are too long ago and not high enough profile to gravitate any significant interest. 
  • Drivers like Hulk and Kubica would have people's interest but aren't completely done with the sport so wouldn't be included on that basis as they're still active. 
Edited by SmokyAtom07
Further thoughts