Jump to content Jump to content

Esport ready - worst league racing experience ever.​ 🤬​

Info: We race in open lobbies on the PC(Steam).

We have disconnects to steam in almost every race.

Last week we had to stop the race in the middle of the race because half of the grid disconnected and wasnt able to rejoin and this week we had to restart the lobby in qualifying because of the same problem and then again had a total lobby failure in the race. That is no longer acceptable. These problems started in F1 2019 but it's a joke how unstable the connection to Steam is in F1 2021.

We have this problems on all of our 3 leagues and with different hosters.

Esport ready ...

🤬🤬

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Please make a full report following this bug report as base. You might want to contact to developers/staff to keep you informed about this. Probably it isn't your fault, but they have to make sure. Once you put all the information needed from the report base, the devs/staff will answer you and try solve it.

A part from that, as someone that has already experienced these issues, I truly agree these are annoying. Luckily I could fix it (or at least not being too repetitive).

Just be nice and serious in the report -- these issues are annoying but professionalism is needed to make them understand the issue.

• Like 1

Every sunday I do league races with really competitive drivers but we never had these problems...

What Eclipsium said maybe it is good to fill in a full bug report.

Maybe Codemasters can help you fix and find the problem you guys having trouble in!

I totally Agree with you shion,

this is unacceptable and in no other simracing game that bad.

I love playing F1 but this destroys the Experience and its a waste of time. 

all of us are spending hours of hours to train to perfektion and for what???

This is a joke and if its stick like this i (and i am sure others) will search for an other Game.

so please Codemasters do sth against this, if you go on like this you will lose many players to another sim.

Sincerly Thala (Airborneleagueracer)

11 hours ago, Martijn5402 said:

Every sunday I do league races with really competitive drivers but we never had these problems...

What Eclipsium said maybe it is good to fill in a full bug report.

Maybe Codemasters can help you fix and find the problem you guys having trouble in!

Same on my end. I race in an aussie only league and have only ever experienced this once. Luckily it happened in the last 3 minutes of quali and we got back up and running in a few minutes. Still a bit annoying. I could possibly dig up some footage and make a report. I think it depends on the host location compared to the players, which isn't the best for players who live across the world in the international leagues.

18 hours ago, shion13 said:

Info: We race in open lobbies on the PC(Steam).

This is basically the problem. 

Sure you can say codies need to have a better system or private server or whatever, but we have to work with what we have, right? You enter open lobbies with people in there with god knows what kind of poor connections. It’s basically asking for trouble.

So my advice if you want to race others online, go race in a league. Either with the game option or even better, in an organized league of sim racers. If in the right league your experience will be much better and more fun.

Posted (edited)

@BarryB ...

We are a league... we are all from Germany, Austria or Switzerland and our connections are not the problem.

Leagues (with reserve drivers) have to use the open lobby section of the game. The league section is for different reasons not suitable for online league racing. (f.e. you cant have reserve drivers)

The problem is:

If you lose your steam-connection, you lose the connection to the host of the lobby. (because of p2p)
If the game does not find another host you drive against bots.

If steam shuts down this affects everyone, and has nothing to do with poor connections.

If you f.e. play assetto corsa competizione or rocket league, and you lose your steam-connection, you wont even recognize it, because you still have the connection to the server everyone is driving on. 

Its a difference between p2p and dedicated servers. 

Restart of the qualy (many could not rejoin after losing steam-connection), red flag in race in lap 25 (everyone stuck in lap 26 with bots)

Red flag in lap 18 (many could not rejoin after losing steam-connection).

Edited by shion13
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, shion13 said:

Its a difference between p2p and dedicated servers. 

This is actually moreso a difference between dependencies. Many games, including F1 2020, use a third party network for things that may include things such as matchmaking. The most common services are Steam (PC), Xbox Live (PC, Xbox, possibly others) and PSN (PS4). 

They basically handle all sorts of behind the scenes stuff making it a bit easier to write specific networking stuff. The "problem" is that you now depend on these. This isn't usually really an issue as the services listed above are usually incredibly stable compared to what Codemasters could offer.

If you're interested in reading more about these dependencies, you can find a few documentation links here:

Xbox Live
Xbox Live multiplayer overview - Xbox Live | Microsoft Docs

Steam
Steam Matchmaking & Lobbies (Steamworks Documentation) (steamgames.com)
Steam Networking (Steamworks Documentation) (steamgames.com)

• Haha 1

@Ultra3142 It is an invite only lobby, but that doesn't fix the problem obv.

Legit almost every lobby bug that can happen, is most of the time the result of Steam connection issue.

Im driving in 3 Leagues (2x F1 / 1x F2) and we are using the league-mode for the F1 races. Even there we have the same problems, which @shion13 allready pointed out.
Legit every time, 1, only 1 got a "connection failure" or something like that to steam, and then sometimes the lobby is a complete bugfestival and we need to restart. 

We had following bugs allready:
- laps didnt get counted (where stuck)
- SC-Phase was infinite (it came out and even after 6 rounds it didnt go in)
- infinite yellow-flags (you couldn't overtake)
- everyone lost connection at the same time
- players that lost connection and rejoined were asynchronous
- players lost connection and couldn't rejoine cause "lobby doesn't exist"
- the player that lost connection, if he was in the pit-lane, his ki was just standing in the pit-lane and was blocking everyone
- the player that lost connection (if it was before the race), got completly fresh tires

1 hour ago, Neox98 said:

Legit every time, 1, only 1 got a "connection failure" or something like that to steam

This is most likely a failure on the user's side. Things to look at would be: The hardware used to connect to the internet, network drivers, the network driver settings, bandwidth limitations on the network and any ISP related issues the user may be encountering.

If there is an issue on Steam's side, it will affect a region instead of a single user.

On 5/22/2021 at 7:49 PM, UP100 said:

This is actually moreso a difference between dependencies. Many games, including F1 2020, use a third party network for things that may include things such as matchmaking. The most common services are Steam (PC), Xbox Live (PC, Xbox, possibly others) and PSN (PS4). 

They basically handle all sorts of behind the scenes stuff making it a bit easier to write specific networking stuff. The "problem" is that you now depend on these. This isn't usually really an issue as the services listed above are usually incredibly stable compared to what Codemasters could offer.

If you're interested in reading more about these dependencies, you can find a few documentation links here:

Xbox Live
Xbox Live multiplayer overview - Xbox Live | Microsoft Docs

Steam
Steam Matchmaking & Lobbies (Steamworks Documentation) (steamgames.com)
Steam Networking (Steamworks Documentation) (steamgames.com)

You hit the nail on the head. 
Codemasters should stop being dependant on third parties to have their game working and then hide behind them when their service fails. 
a 100% race can take over an hour and considering that dropping from a session destroys a race in a heartbeat, there is just no excuse for letting this be a posibility at all. 

Games like acc and iracing can offer 24 hour races and it's save to say that this would be totally impossible in the f1 game. Those games also offer a lot better multiplayer experience in general so it's not like we're paying a price for something better. 

For other games this might be less of an issue but for a game like this it's totally unacceptable if steam just dies 70% through a 100% race, people being invisible to eachother, people clearly crossing the line ahead but being behind in the race results and more such funny things.

Being dependant is a choice made by codemasters and it proves time and time again to be the wrong one 
If they want people to take their games as seriously as they seem to want us to (seeing their f1 e-sport aspirations) investments are gonna be needed in the online infrastructure. 

The state the league mode has been in for 2 games straight now (100% unusable) is a great example of how little effort is being put into even thinking about what leagues would need from this game, let alone providing it. A lot of things just get ' thrown in'  just to have the box checked (yes we have league mode now, we have f2's, a penalty system) without putting in any effort to make sure the stuff actually works (spoiler: they all don't) 

F1 2020 has almost destroyed the f1 league race community that was just about to get rolling for a few years. Let's hope they learned from it and not release a broken mess for the next one. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bblows said:

You hit the nail on the head. 
Codemasters should stop being dependant on third parties to have their game working and then hide behind them when their service fails. 
a 100% race can take over an hour and considering that dropping from a session destroys a race in a heartbeat, there is just no excuse for letting this be a posibility at all. 

Games like acc and iracing can offer 24 hour races and it's save to say that this would be totally impossible in the f1 game. Those games also offer a lot better multiplayer experience in general so it's not like we're paying a price for something better. 

For other games this might be less of an issue but for a game like this it's totally unacceptable if steam just dies 70% through a 100% race, people being invisible to eachother, people clearly crossing the line ahead but being behind in the race results and more such funny things.

Being dependant is a choice made by codemasters and it proves time and time again to be the wrong one 
If they want people to take their games as seriously as they seem to want us to (seeing their f1 e-sport aspirations) investments are gonna be needed in the online infrastructure. 

The state the league mode has been in for 2 games straight now (100% unusable) is a great example of how little effort is being put into even thinking about what leagues would need from this game, let alone providing it. A lot of things just get ' thrown in'  just to have the box checked (yes we have league mode now, we have f2's, a penalty system) without putting in any effort to make sure the stuff actually works (spoiler: they all don't) 

F1 2020 has almost destroyed the f1 league race community that was just about to get rolling for a few years. Let's hope they learned from it and not release a broken mess for the next one. 

I rather disagree. Everything on game development is build on dependencies. You cannot even open a window on Windows without having one of the Windows API's as your dependency! In terms of networking, using the service providers' networking system is usually the most stable choice as they have huge servers that rarely encounter downtime. Have you ever played DR2.0 for example? 😛 

Generally, most "Cannot connect to Steam" issues are on the user side instead of on the servers. If the issue is on Steam's servers, you'll know as all users from that region will lose connection.

2 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I rather disagree. Everything on game development is build on dependencies. You cannot even open a window on Windows without having one of the Windows API's as your dependency! In terms of networking, using the service providers' networking system is usually the most stable choice as they have huge servers that rarely encounter downtime. Have you ever played DR2.0 for example? 😛 

Not online. 

But i have done endurance racing in iracing and acc with a lot more people than can fit into an f1 lobby without most of the issues that the f1 game has so it's definitely possible yet in this series the ball gets dropped time and time again. 

I understand dependancies are inevitable but that doesn't make others responsible for the misfunctioning of your game. If you want stuff done well you need to do it yourself. Other games do it. Codemasters keeps cutting corners and paying the price in terms of a horrible multiplayer experience resulting in the game being nowhere where it should be, in terms of multiplayer popularity and people are fed up. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bblows said:

Not online. 

But i have done endurance racing in iracing and acc with a lot more people than can fit into an f1 lobby without most of the issues that the f1 game has so it's definitely possible yet in this series the ball gets dropped time and time again. 

I understand dependancies are inevitable but that doesn't make others responsible for the misfunctioning of your game. If you want stuff done well you need to do it yourself. Other games do it. Codemasters keeps cutting corners and paying the price in terms of a horrible multiplayer experience resulting in the game being nowhere where it should be, in terms of multiplayer popularity and people are fed up. 

The problem is that RaceNet (which is used for connection stuff even for career mode) is rather often down during high-load.

Codemasters has their own networking system, that is not provided to them by a third party. They just use some of the tools of each platform in order to make the online experience more smooth and easier to handle with less issues than what would appear if they'd do everything through RaceNet or other such first party service. I'll suggest you to check the links I shared above for examples about these features.

The game is not misfunctioning with around 99% chance if you lose connection to Steam, PSN or Xbox Live.

Posted (edited)

I would agree that codies need to invest significantly into its online/multiplayer code, because other games have long surpassed the F1 games in terms of Quality.
Iracing and ACC are actually good examples on how online should be done, while both of them are not perfect, they are a far better overall experience than F1.

But the main problem here seems to be that, while I do think codies are aware, the online features just don't seem to be a high priority for them (for whatever reason).
F1's Multiplayer has improved over the years though. (League mode did not improve, yes that has been broken from the beginning)

Edit:

I would like to add that it becomes frustrating for me to see this kind of forum posting. It's nothing new. They pop up from time to time and the worst thing about them is that they are mostly right about their argument.

Edited by LSKone
  • Agree 2
2 minutes ago, UP100 said:

The game is not misfunctioning with around 99% chance if you lose connection to Steam, PSN or Xbox Live.

What do you mean? you get instantly disconnected from a session if you lose connection to steam. 

Also racenet being down often/**** in general is not an excuse. Other games show that it can be done if priorities are right. And it's very much time for codemasters to get them right. 
No other game has near the amount of issues that this one has online. and what it comes down to is just codemasters not putting in the effort, and often not even being aware of issues  that one would only need to play the games a handful times to find out. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Bblows said:

What do you mean? you get instantly disconnected from a session if you lose connection to steam. 

This is the intended response, as can be seen from the error message.

36 minutes ago, UP100 said:

This is the intended response, as can be seen from the error message.

That makes it even worse tbh. 
And it doesn't really matter if it's intended if it's game breaking it needs to change. 

Other games show it aren't technical limitations that have it be like this. It's just unwillingness to go the extra mile to create a system that works. 
I guess they kinda need to make the game buggy so we all can keep hoping maybe the next one is good.. 

• Agree 1
17 minutes ago, Bblows said:

That makes it even worse tbh. 
And it doesn't really matter if it's intended if it's game breaking it needs to change. 

Other games show it aren't technical limitations that have it be like this. It's just unwillingness to go the extra mile to create a system that works. 
I guess they kinda need to make the game buggy so we all can keep hoping maybe the next one is good.. 

There is no bug here. The game receives an error from the dependency (that's either caused by the user's machine or by Steam's servers being unresponsive) and then it'll do its best to keep running. This is how basically every single game works (though some games may treat all errors as fatal)

If the game would continue to try and send information to the other clients after you've lost connection to Steam, it will most likely cause bugs, which is something you don't want either 🙂

Everyone knows that it isnt a bug. 

This is all about Codemasters using servers instead of p2p connections. If companies like kudos or psyonix can afford servers, codemasters / EA should be able too as well. 

• Agree 1