Jump to content Jump to content

Correct race distances on short circuits.

Posted (edited)

Full race distance in Formula 1 is 305 km (apart from Monaco, which is a bit over 260 km). Race distances on short layouts in the game are way off, as the numer of laps on them is essentially a copy-paste from full circuits. My suggestion is to change number of laps on the short circuits to match 305 km race distance. Here is a list of short circuits in game with their race distance (current and what it should be):

Bahrain Short (3.705 km)
Race distance in game: 57 laps (211.185 km)
Correct race distance: 83 laps (307.515 km)

Silverstone Short (2.979 km)
Race distance in game: 53 laps (157.887 km)
Correct race distance: 103 laps (306.837 km)

Suzuka Short (2.243 km)
Race distance in game: 53 laps (118.879 km)
Correct race distance: 136 laps (305.048 km)

USA Short (3.702 km)
Race distance in game: 56 laps (207.312 km)
Correct race distance: 83 laps (307.266 km)

In my opinion this change would make these circuits usable in league racing without any issues with race distance. Most leagues uses 50% race distance on normal circuits which is somewhere around 152.5 km. If the league wants to use one of these circuits they need to use 100% distance, but that is problematic, because 100% races on short circuits don't match the 50% distance from normal circuits. On Bahrain Short is too long, at Suzuka and COTA are too short. Only at Silverstone it's roughly correct (although still one lap too long). Bringing correct number of laps into the game would make all of those problems disappear.

Edited by TheAM
  • Administrator

Hi @TheAM,

We have to use the official amount of laps on all circuit variants. From a personal standpoint (as someone who has raced all the short tracks in our league this season), 83 laps at USA short last week would've not been the most exciting race in the world. I'm sure our forum championship players would agree.

Would be a interesting study though to see how many players actually have any desire to complete 136 laps at Suzuka short at any point though. I'd predict it'd be a small percentage of players who'd want to do this.

• Agree 3
6 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @TheAM,

We have to use the official amount of laps on all circuit variants. From a personal standpoint (as someone who has raced all the short tracks in our league this season), 83 laps at USA short last week would've not been the most exciting race in the world. I'm sure our forum championship players would agree.

Would be a interesting study though to see how many players actually have any desire to complete 136 laps at Suzuka short at any point though. I'd predict it'd be a small percentage of players who'd want to do this.

Yeah, maybe I went a little bit too far with 136 laps around Suzuka Short, but the truth is that it is a very short circuit and it would take a lot of laps to utilise 305 km. 

My main point though is racing around Bahrain Short, which is the most popular short circuit used for league racing. If the change was to take place leagues would just use normal 50% race with 42 laps, rather than having to decide if they want a race that is too short (29 laps) or too long (57 laps). In my opinion the change would make sense as the Sakhir GP last year had 87 laps, rather than 57.

But I understand if you have to use the official amount of laps on all circuit variants. In my opinion it's weird that the licence bases the distance on amount of laps and not kilometers, but I get it. There's nothing you can do about that.

Thank you for the reply.

• Like 1

Short track are not called "short" just for fun, I also think they should stay as they are now.

What I would like to see is 75% races or atleast 66%, because 50% is a bit short for strategy to become a big factor of your result, and 100% races are a bit too long atleast for me. 75% would be a little over 1 hour of racing which i think would be a good challenge. Also when racing in singleplayer the AI would have more laps to execute 2 stop strategy that they are using and ALWAYS losing on 2 stop comapred to 1 stop , because of traffic.

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, CZPZ said:

Good improvement should be showing the lap count also on race distance right to the track. Silverstone Short %50 (XX Laps).

Worth creating a separate suggestion for this - I would back it.