Jump to content Jump to content

Tire temperature - too easy?

When I am watching F1 in TV the tire temp is one of the most discussed topics in terms of driving the best laps and having less tyre wear. F1 2020 made massive progress in my opinion with the effect of the different tyre pressures. 

But normally I drive with less tire pressures for having more grip. But the tire temperature were rarely to low. 

Sometimes a I think it is to easy to get the car in the window of 90-100 degrees tire temp, which are AFAIK the best temps.  I don't have to make a lot for that. But in real life some teams like to make more warm up laps or have to change Setup etc. For getting good tire temps (f.e. Monaco) . I never had to drive two outlaps for getting good tire temps. I really would like to work more for the best setups, which fits best to the car and the tyres. 

Do you think the game is to easy in that case (in simulation mode for tyres)? What are your experiences?

By the way, I drive on 101 with breaking ads on medium. 

• Agree 2

I think the tyre model is a bit to easy I find I don't have to change anything whereas on other games I'm really focusing on tire pressures and temps an example of this is when playing project cars 2 there's an obvious difference in tyre temps with sunny weather to overcast weather and depends on the time of day as well. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

When I am watching F1 in TV the tire temp is one of the most discussed topics in terms of driving the best laps and having less tyre wear. F1 2020 made massive progress in my opinion with the effect of the different tyre pressures. 

But normally I drive with less tire pressures for having more grip. But the tire temperature were rarely to low. 

Sometimes a I think it is to easy to get the car in the window of 90-100 degrees tire temp, which are AFAIK the best temps.  I don't have to make a lot for that. But in real life some teams like to make more warm up laps or have to change Setup etc. For getting good tire temps (f.e. Monaco) . I never had to drive two outlaps for getting good tire temps. I really would like to work more for the best setups, which fits best to the car and the tyres. 

Do you think the game is to easy in that case (in simulation mode for tyres)? What are your experiences?

By the way, I drive on 101 with breaking ads on medium. 

Atm it's definitely too easy, literally the only time you need to worry is when the Safety Car is out because the AI ahead drive way too slow in some corners. Though I do think if they're gonna make the system more complex, there will need to be options for players to tune it down or else it might be too difficult for most people. 

It might be a thing to increase complexity on tyres conerning temperatures and their "working window". If they would do this as an option, like you can switch simulation damage on / off, then it would be another step towards a more real F1 simulation, but it would not hurt their causal player market, which makes most of the earnings after all. As it is now, it seems that all temperatures on all dry tyre types between 85 and 100 degrees celsius result in equal tyre performance. If that correct? If it is, it does not reflect IRL tyre work of an F1 car at all. Would be awesome to gain some more realism here, even if you have to expect the tyres to frustrate you (as well as the other and AI drivers) times, as they even to with all the F1 top drivers at the moment.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

I have enough to worry about without this personally but if we're trying to improve realism wouldn't it also be appropriate to remove the tyre temp display? In that I don't think real drivers and teams have an equivalent?

Edited by Ultra3142
11 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I don't think real drivers and teams have an equivalent

You bet they do, since tyre temperatures are one of, if not the most important data in F1 at the moment. If nothing else, race engineers are constantly reporting to their drivers about the temperatures, be it during a warm up lap before qualifyling, or during the burnouts before a race start. What tyres and their temperatures are doing is nothing less than the 101 of F1 at the moment. 

Just now, Schneehase said:

You bet they do, since tyre temperatures are one of, if not the most important data in F1 at the moment. If nothing else, race engineers are constantly reporting to their drivers about the temperatures, be it during a warm up lap before qualifyling, or during the burnouts before a race start. What tyres and their temperatures are doing is nothing less than the 101 of F1 at the moment. 

Brakes definitely but tyres? I'm not convinced they have sensors for this. Very happy to be proved wrong though 🙂.

From memory I only recall drivers commenting on thinking their tyres are cold rather than engineers giving them data on this. I'll keep an ear out for this when watching the Monaco coverage though. 

• Agree 1

Another point about tyres. In real life aren't the tyre pressures actually set by Pirelli and not the teams? Pretty sure Pirelli sort tyre pressures out.

But yeah seems too easy to keep tyres in optimum temp window no matter how hard I drive.

1 hour ago, Ukbordoy said:

Another point about tyres. In real life aren't the tyre pressures actually set by Pirelli and not the teams? Pretty sure Pirelli sort tyre pressures out.

I think Pirelli give a minimum tyre pressure.

• Haha 1

They can measure tyre temperatures on an F1 car while on track during racing using IR sensors these can be mounted on the body work such as the trailing edge of the front wing or mounted to the rim itself on the surface that is inside the tyre in the same way they monitor tyre pressure.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Exasperated said:

https://youtu.be/w6MyrHLgKuM   and that's why this game can be classified as a 'Kiddies game'

No. It shows an example of the level of info. that a elite level professional racing drivers have to be able to handle. I don't know what it is that you find so hard to grasp about there being an extremely wide spectrum of levels of difficulty rather than your dogmatic binary distinction between 'toy' and 'real/good'. 

12 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

What a lovely cluster of messy nightmares, my brain would instantly melt if they make me operate that while driving 😬

There's zero chance I could handle that many options in game too! A lot of this comes down to practice though, and if my full-time job depended on me doing so then this would be rather different than the limited time I spend playing the game.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1

Good to know that you experienced the same, no matter what driving skills and aids you have. 👌 do you also have the "problem" that your tire wear is in race practise mode lower or exact like expected but never higher than that?

This in combination with having always the right tire temps has big effects on strategy. Because you often can do one stopp when some others do two stopp strategy. 

I really would like to see having a car which is good to tires, but having low temps, and cars which are aggressive to tires, having high temps. In qualifying this could be goo, in some races this could be problem. In career mode you can solve problems like that with the right setup or with devoloping the car. How the car and even a driver (!) handles the tire is such a big factor in f1. This could even be a own driver skill like racecraft etc. 

But I am glad to see that CM is going in the right direction. When f1 2019 setups has quiet less effects on tire performance, in f1 2020 you can do more with tire pressures, which seems to have effect. And I like the effect of getting lower grip when tire wear is high. In f12019 the car gets slower but still sticks to track. In f12020 the car becomes more slippery when tires are gone, which often makes me do two stopps, just for driving the race safe to the end without spinning. Do you experienced this in f1 2019 to f1 2020 too?

2 hours ago, s00zster said:

If you're playing on PC, there's a really great mod at Racedepartment that makes tyre temperature issues a lot more realistic: F1 2020 TyreTempMod - Realistic temperature, grip, wear, strategy | RaceDepartment

Thank you so much for that link ❤️ eager to try this, but wait i dont have space for a 4th myteam save game, curses >>> hey Codies, what about a few more saves for that popular mode?

*****, if realistic tyre wear and temperatures is so easy to implement, then why is this not in the base game? Another reason that Codemastes should open the franchise a bit more for modders, not for visuals (liveries, advertising) or stat values (Superbottas, Ferrari too strong) only.

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

No. It shows an example of the level of info. that a elite level professional racing drivers have to be able to handle. I don't know what it is that you find so hard to grasp about there being an extremely wide spectrum of levels of difficulty rather than your dogmatic binary distinction between 'toy' and 'real/good'. 

There's zero chance I could handle that many options in game too! A lot of this comes down to practice though, and if my full-time job depended on me doing so then this would be rather different than the limited time I spend playing the game.

I'll bark , you bite .......

4 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

I'll bark , you bite .......

I think you'll find I ignore the vast majority of your trolling, but as you chose to insult an individual member I posted to share that they were not alone in feeling as they do.

23 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I think you'll find I ignore the vast majority of your trolling, but as you chose to insult an individual member I posted to share that they were not alone in feeling as they do.

With all due respect its probably better to leave others to decide whether or not they feel insulted , perhaps I should remind you that this is just a forum concerning the F1 game not a scene from the film 'The Duellists' by Ridley Scott.  . now if you wouldn't mind I have some posts to attend to. Thankyou

Posted (edited)

Sorry, but is this a joke about bad gramma  / wrong used words or what is the point? 😅😋

English is not my native language. 

I think Monaco GP was a good example how important the right tire temperature is in f1. Vettel was on old soft but until hamilton and gasly got the tires warm enough, Vettel was quicker. That was the main point in this fight I think. 

Maybe the tire temperature becomes even more important in f1 2021. F1 2020 was a step in the right direction already. 

Edited by DonBlanko

I think the balance is pretty good this year. I remember when they first introduced the tire carcass temperature model, it was too sensitive and I struggled a lot on pad to keep the tires in the window. And as career mode progressed and the cars got faster, it got worse and worse. I found it to be especially hard on pad since I feel I scrub tires more through the high speed corners.

I think currently, it’s at a good balance where on higher energy tracks, they do cross 100C if you drive flat out, and there is a pace and wear benefit to taking it easier and being cognizant of the temperatures. I still struggle with overheating in say, Monaco, but I also struggle to keep temps up in like Baku, so in my opinion, a good balance has been reached. I have to be aware of it, but it’s not impossibly difficult or punishing.