Jump to content Jump to content

Tire temperature - too easy?

While I believe this could be an option to choose on Grand Prix Mode  / it should not be an option for MP .

At least not as long as Mario Kart Racing with an x-Box Controller vs a cockpit view and wheel is not making a difference……😜🤣🤪🤩

1 hour ago, DonBlanko said:

Sorry, but is this a joke about bad gramma  / wrong used words or what is the point? 😅😋

English is not my native language. 

Are you asking about what @TFBISE16 posted? I think their point was that if you start a race on hard tyres it is not so easy to get them to an optimal temperature.

I for once, need to do quite a lot of warmup on the tyres for qualifying, and I always run minimim pressures. I think it is mainly of me not being good in one lap pace. In Monaco, I still get 100 degrees starting from the Lowes hairpin until Portier, but from the tunnel to the nouvelle chicane, the temperatures normally drop.

Posted (edited)

I think in 2020 game tire pressures and temps are a little bit weird. If I'm correct when you lower pressures of course you have more grip but in expense of higher temps and tire wear.  In 2020 game if you select anything more than the lowest tire pressures your tires will get super hot and you lose not only time but tire wear very easy.

Please let me know if I'm correct with the pressures and temps.

Edited by EnaFreddo
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, EnaFreddo said:

I think in 2020 game tire pressures and temps are a little bit weird. If I'm correct when you lower pressures of course you have more grip but in expense of higher temps and tire wear.  In 2020 game if you select anything more than the lowest tire pressures your tires will get super hot and you lose not only time but tire wear very easy.

This is discussed somewhere in the David Greco sticky thread but lower pressures means lower temperatures and increased wear.

Edited by Ultra3142
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, EnaFreddo said:

Complete inverse. Lower pressures mean lower temperature but higher wear and lesser grip. I think the best pressures would be to increase them up to a point that you can drive normally and keep the tyre temperatures at 100 degrees celsius. If you find out that you are keeping the tyres at around 97 degrees, then probably you can increase the tyre pressures by 1 click to the right. 

I am a pad user, and I find out that for the rears, you should keep them below 97 degrees, as it appears that above that temperature, the rears can start to snap out... maybe it’s different for you guys and girls....

Edited by Krisperfectline
3 minutes ago, Krisperfectline said:

Complete inverse. Lower pressures mean lower temperature but higher wear and lesser grip. I think the best pressures would be to increase them up to a point that you can drive normally and keep the tyre temperatures at 100 degrees celsius. If you find out that you are keeping the tyres at around 97 degrees, then probably you can increase the tyre pressures by 1 click to the right. 

I am a pad user, and I find out that for the rears, you should keep them below 97 degrees, as it appears that above that temperature, the rears can start to snap out... maybe it’s different for you guys and girls....

yeah im sorry i thought it was the opposite 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Complete inverse. Lower pressures mean lower temperature but higher wear and lesser grip.

That depends quite what you mean by grip there, since lower tyre pressures increase traction.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Like 1
On 5/23/2021 at 2:05 AM, Nightfire1964 said:

saw some footage of Hamilton's on board and could vaguely see what looked like tyre temps it was numbers positioned in a way of where the tires are

What you saw on his dash was brakes temps. 

20 minutes ago, Nightfire1964 said:

Really because I wouldn't think they would be double digits in temperature 

Whenever he applies brakes those numbers going from white to red color, meaning that brake temps are increased.

Posted (edited)

Krisperfectline, You are right, Monaco, Baku and Singapur are tracks were temperature can be too low or too high in some corners. But these situations are still rare when you look at the amount on tracks we have. 

I think it would be enough, when CM would make the window of the best tire temperature smaller (from 85-105 to 95-100 f.e.) and make the grip level difference between tire with good temps and tires with too high/low temps a bit bigger. Next to it should setup changes make a bit more difference to tire temp. I have the feeling that tire pressures make the most difference in that. But toe should also have more effect in that (DAS was also useful for Mercedes because they were able to warm up their tires with changing the toe while driving under SC f.e.)

And last but not least car upgrades should especially take part of this problematik, so you have cars which seems to be less aggressive to tires and to have lower temps like Mercedes and cars which are more aggressive to tires and have normally more temps in tires like Ferrari or Red Bull. It would make the cars even more different. Some would like this tracks and some like other tracks more. 

What do you think? 

Edited by DonBlanko
On 5/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, DonBlanko said:

But I am glad to see that CM is going in the right direction. When f1 2019 setups has quiet less effects on tire performance, in f1 2020 you can do more with tire pressures, which seems to have effect. And I like the effect of getting lower grip when tire wear is high. In f12019 the car gets slower but still sticks to track. In f12020 the car becomes more slippery when tires are gone, which often makes me do two stopps, just for driving the race safe to the end without spinning. Do you experienced this in f1 2019 to f1 2020 too?

This is interesting. I play f1 2019 only and racing in Hungary and Monaco lately had following problems:

I can only race on red tyre for very few rounds. Race strategy at start says e.g. 12 rounds 70% wear. After 6 rounds I have 35% wear as expected. But the red tyres are undrivable at that moment. Accelerating in wide turns in 5th gear makes the wheels spin and the car slip and spin. It is absolutely impossible to brake or accelerate with more than 50% break force or throttel. The yellow and white tyres feel fine at 70% tyre wear. It is so extrem, that I can drive much faster and safer with yellow or even white tyre at 70% than with red tyre at 35%.

Any clues or opinions?

Racelength is 50% in custom grand prix mode.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, DonBlanko said:

But I am glad to see that CM is going in the right direction. When f1 2019 setups has quiet less effects on tire performance, in f1 2020 you can do more with tire pressures, which seems to have effect. And I like the effect of getting lower grip when tire wear is high. In f12019 the car gets slower but still sticks to track. In f12020 the car becomes more slippery when tires are gone, which often makes me do two stopps, just for driving the race safe to the end without spinning. Do you experienced this in f1 2019 to f1 2020 too?

This is interesting. I play f1 2019 only and racing in Hungary and Monaco lately had following problems:

I can only race on red tyre for very few rounds. Race strategy at start says e.g. 12 rounds 70% wear. After 6 rounds I have 35% wear as expected. But the red tyres are undrivable at that moment. Accelerating in wide turns in 5th gear makes the wheels spin and the car slip and spin. It is absolutely impossible to brake or accelerate with more than 50% break force or throttel. The yellow and white tyres feel fine at 70% tyre wear. It is so extrem, that I can drive much faster and safer with yellow or even white tyre at 70% than with red tyre at 35%.

Any clues or opinions?

Racelength is 50% in custom grand prix mode.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:37 PM, DonBlanko said:

Krisperfectline, You are right, Monaco, Baku and Singapur are tracks were temperature can be too low or too high in some corners. But these situations are still rare when you look at the amount on tracks we have. 

I think it would be enough, when CM would make the window of the best tire temperature smaller (from 85-105 to 95-100 f.e.) and make the grip level difference between tire with good temps and tires with too high/low temps a bit bigger. Next to it should setup changes make a bit more difference to tire temp. I have the feeling that tire pressures make the most difference in that. But toe should also have more effect in that (DAS was also useful for Mercedes because they were able to warm up their tires with changing the toe while driving under SC f.e.)

And last but not least car upgrades should especially take part of this problematik, so you have cars which seems to be less aggressive to tires and to have lower temps like Mercedes and cars which are more aggressive to tires and have normally more temps in tires like Ferrari or Red Bull. It would make the cars even more different. Some would like this tracks and some like other tracks more. 

What do you think? 

I am down for it being close to realistic, since that is the reason why I play these games lol. 

2 hours ago, s00zster said:

Regarding how accurate default tyre temps are, spinning on grass overheats your tyres at the same rate as spinning on the track does.

That's not right, is it..?

Overheats which part, the outer layer?

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 12:15 PM, UP100 said:

Overheats which part, the outer layer?

Yeah, outer layer but it's the way it happens at the same rate and intensity as if you're on track. Grass is, well... grass. I wouldn't have thought it would've had the same abrasive effect as asphalt/concrete/tarmac.

Edit: As an example, I spun off the track at Suzuka (dry conditions) onto the grass. I checked my tyre temps and waited for them to cool before I moved again, they cooled and so I did a 180 spin on the grass to redirect myself and they went right back up to red. Of course when I got back onto the track, I was sliding all over the place due to the temps, which is understandable, but I don't understand grass causing the tyres to light up after a 180.

Edited by s00zster
3 hours ago, s00zster said:

Yeah, outer layer but it's the way it happens at the same rate and intensity as if you're on track. Grass is, well... grass. I wouldn't have thought it would've had the same abrasive effect as asphalt/concrete/tarmac.

Edit: As an example, I spun off the track at Suzuka (dry conditions) onto the grass. I checked my tyre temps and waited for them to cool before I moved again, they cooled and so I did a 180 spin on the grass to redirect myself and they went right back up to red. Of course when I got back onto the track, I was sliding all over the place due to the temps, which is understandable, but I don't understand grass causing the tyres to light up after a 180.

They need to sort that out , I tried to remove the in game steering wheel while in cockpit view last time I played while sat in the garage , the quick release isn't modelled and animated so it wo'nt come off ,  its ridiculous in a hyper real game like this .

19 hours ago, Exasperated said:

They need to sort that out , I tried to remove the in game steering wheel while in cockpit view last time I played while sat in the garage , the quick release isn't modelled and animated so it wo'nt come off ,  its ridiculous in a hyper real game like this .

I'm assuming you're taking the p**s, there's no need for that. Different track surfaces have different wear values, I would have assumed that grass would also have values that wouldn't make the tyres melt when you have to do a 180 on it.