Jump to content Jump to content

I've found the method to control Ai drivers to sign with specific team (To certain extend)

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if someone had ever mention this before, but I think I've figured out how to control AI drivers to sign whatever team you wanted them to sign in the MyTeam mode, at least to some extend because there're still some random elements which cannot be completely eliminated.

First, a few concepts needs to be said before getting into the main part:

• This is only for MyTeam mode
  • The method is about eliminating options
  • Always backup your save file so you can try again if you did something wrong
  • This is done on PC so I'm not sure if it'll work as well on console since I dunno if backing up and recovering save file would be as convenient as PC (Also on PC you can use Cheat Engine to make things simpler, it's optional but I'll explain why it helps below)

So, what we're going to do is, we are basically here to eliminate the options each AI team has in the market in order to limit and control who they can sign. How we're gonna do that then you might ask? The simple answer is that we'll try to purposely FAIL the negotiation with drivers that we wanted them to STAY in their own team. I will explain what's happening here.

Each season we get a total of 8 days to negotiate with drivers, and each day we get to negotiate 3 times so a total of 24 chances, but let's keep things simple first and focus on the End-of-Year negotiation (Because the mid season negotiation is pretty much the same thing but with less flexibility since no one will retires).

Usually on your first few seasons, at least one driver will retire (Kimi is the most likely one, Vettel follows). Now you have one to two seats available and it will shake up the market randomly, which sometimes will ends up with not so desirable and ridiculous driver shuffles like Stroll abandoning his dad and signing back into Williams or Latifi going to Haas or whatever (Some people might like that but I personally don't). What can we do to get rid of situations like this then? As I've mentioned above, we'll make drivers stay in their team.

When we try to recruit a F1 drivers, usually only their own team would try to negotiate with us, this will keep things very simple but there will be rare occasions where multiple teams try to sign the same drivers which complicated things, so you should always backup your save file first. Though, lets stick with 1 v 1 negotiations, because, the instant you started the negotiation and confirm only their team is trying to fight you, you've already got the job done! Just purposely fail the bid and the driver will stay in their own team, one option is now eliminated from the market

However, there're a few catches here. You might've already notice that, since there're only 4 days with 3 opportunities each, at maximum you only get to negotiate with 11 drivers (Not 12 because you still need one opportunity to negotiate with your own driver), then what about the rest? Well, if your current team's statistics still have NOT reach what the drivers demand, the negotiation will instantly fail BUT the game will NOT count it as one opportunity lost. That means, for example, if you're on the first day with 3 opportunities left in your bag, you made a call with Lewis and he rejected the offer right away, you'll still have 3 opportunities left! While right after the rejection Lewis will 100% and instantly sign with Mercedes (That's just how the game works), which means, another option in the market - eliminated! (Here is where Cheat Engine would helps, just modified your current amount of credit to below any of the driver's salary, they'll all reject negotiation instantly, but remember to at least have enough credit for your own driver or else they will immediately sign to other teams without telling you and you'll be stuck with a reserve driver.)

One scenario I have here is, Vettel and Kimi both retired on my first season, now there're 2 vacant seats available, and I wanted Giovinazzi to take that vacant Ferrari seat while only F2 drivers take the two Alfa seats.

So what I did was keep using the above methods, and made all the drivers signed with their own team except Giovinazzi. Then at the final day of contract negotiation, we'll sign the driver we wanted. In my case I just re-negotiated with my own driver Matsushita to keep things less complicated (It'll add more random elements into our method if you sign other drivers, especially with drivers that were already in a team. Unless, if there are no one retiring in that season you can sign whoever you want).

The more "famous" the team is, the more they will demand from the drivers, so they'll always prefer drivers with the highest acclaim possible. In this scenario, Giovinazzi is the only F1 driver (with much higher acclaim than any F2 drivers) available in the market, Ferrari will almost certainly take Giovinazzi over the F2 drivers.

Here's another catch, remember I said earlier there are some random elements involved with this method? 

The now 2 vacant seats in Alfa Romeo. In our current situation, Alfa will take the next available candidate with the highest acclaim, so they will certainly take Nick de Friez first. But for the next contract there are more than one options for them because there're multiple F2 drivers with the same amount of acclaims, this is where you'll need to use the save & load method to get the desirable result because it's random and we have no control over this (I tried until Ilott was signed to Alfa). 

But remember one thing, let's just say...you're on your final day of negotiation, you have a back up save of this day, done all the things above but on the final steps failed to get Alfa to sign the driver you wanted and now you had to use the save & load method to try again. Once you've done that, the game will put you back to the beginning of that final day, that means whatever you've done on the final day, now you'll have to do them all-over-again, just keep that in mind and backup save everyday in the calendar, it's inconvenient but we'll have to make do because the game only saves when there's progression in the calendar.

If you've encounter a season where no one is retiring but you still wanted a certain driver to switch into specific team, you can still force it to happen by creating a vacant seat at that team. Let's say you wanted Checo to goes to Red Bull, just follow the same method from above, eliminating all the options RBR has except Checo & Albon, then you sign Albon into your team, job done! Unless you already had a teammate with higher acclaim than Checo, RBR will for certain take Checo over any other drivers, while your original teammate or other F2 drivers will take the now vacant Racing Point seat. 

One of the major flaws of this is it's hard to make drivers from the top teams to sign into lower teams, but it's not entirely impossible. I've had a situation once where Alfa Romeo was able to take Charles away from Ferrari when Kimi retired. 

One final tip.

If you're like me, who find the Ai teams developing too slowly compare with the players, then during the negotiations, you can try to force the Ai team to pay for higher salary to the drivers by putting higher bid yourself during the negotiation, and then purposely fail the auction once the bid is high enough. The extra credit the driver earns will be put into their own perks. You can easily made them buy multiple perks with this method within just half the season, just use save & load if you accidentally signed the driver. 

Also, for some reason, if you press the button to put higher bet twice in quick succession every time you put a bet during the negotiation, the AI team will more likely to keep going to put higher bid on the driver, it's kinda funny LOL.

Thanks for reading through my poor writing lol, and good luck making a dream season!

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1
  • DRTApophis changed the title to I've found the method to control Ai drivers to sign into specific team (To certain extend)

Excellent post and thank you very much for sharing. Hopefully in 2021 we’ll have the option for complete control over driver moves because some moves completely destroy the mode imo. 

• Agree 2
  • DRTApophis changed the title to I've found the method to control Ai drivers to sign with specific team (To certain extend)

Wow, must have taken a ton of time and experimenting for you to figure this out.  Thank you for sharing these details.   As much as I'd love to do this I'm not sure I have the patience for it especially since I play on Xbox.  Saving game files isn't exactly a smooth process on the consoles.   I've found when I get to end of year negotiations I'll exit the mode before I negotiate so it saves.  Then I go to settings form the main menu, turn off auto save, then I go back in to try and negotiate with drivers.  So I guess that's kind of what console players would need to do here.  Everytime you get a desireable outcome though you have to exit the mode, go back to settings and turn auto save on.  Then enter my team again and it should pick up right where you left off, then exit again and it should then force save it.  It's a real pain; wish there was just a way to save the file like most normal games and have as many save files with as many names as you want/need.

I really hope the folks at Codies here take note of the extensive work around we have to find to get desirable outcomes in these modes.  It really should signal to them that their current strategy for implementing  driver moves isn't what we want or need.  EA taking over gives me a bit of hope that will change down the road as their franchise/career modes has normal game save systems and provide customization options for teams/players etc.  It would be nice to have control over all teams/drivers and even team/driver ratings like we do in almost every other sports title within the career modes.  I understand that takes away from the "realism" of just being a driver in career mode, or owning your team (and driving for it) in my team mode.  However, lets be serious here.  At the end of the day this is a video game.  We've already created our own fictional driver and fictional team potentially as well if playing My Team mode.  So what if there's further option there to customize it outside of the control a driver would have in the real world.   Franchise modes in sports titles should be living and breathing.  Not poorly scripted to simply pick a driver based on acclaim rating; always forcing yourself as #1 driver in Career mode to replace the existing #1 driver and having unrealistic driver moves.   Just give the player the option.  For those who don't want that control they don't have to use it; same way you can just simply turn off driver moves all together.

While I'm thankful for your post and detailed instructions and I certainly may try it in F1 2021 if the modes don't change they way they handle this, but for F12020 I'm just not motivated enough to try and salvage the 3 My Team modes and 2 driver career modes I've had to abandon due to odd driver moves with the new game coming out so soon.  I really hope the folks in charge here take note though of the tremendous efforts we have to undertake to play the game in our own way within the 10 year "franchise" modes and simply provide the customization options, more driver options (even if fictional characters) because the mode has an awesome foundation, it just kills itself with execution though by the time you hit year 4 or 5 and it then is in desperate need of customization options at that point IMO.  I've lost interest in ALL of my 3 My Team modes and 2 driver career modes because of the driver moves.  I know; "just turn them off"... but why would I want to race against the 2020 drivers grid in 2028?   For the player to keep interest in the mode past year 4 or 5 it has to stay alive; R&D changes allow that to happen as the grid can shuffle, but I've gone 2 years in one mode with no regulation changes; I'm maxed out.  With about 20k r&D points saved up.  If I got a regulation change now, I'd still be top of the grid because I have the R&D points to reinvest and not be penalized; so even that system is flawed and leaves the mode stagnant after a while. 

I really hope a focus of this year was improving the My Team and Career modes; but it doesn't seem that way thus far based on what we know of F1-2021 so I guess my only hope here is to try this workaround when the new game comes.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, petro1319 said:

Wow, must have taken a ton of time and experimenting for you to figure this out.  Thank you for sharing these details.   As much as I'd love to do this I'm not sure I have the patience for it especially since I play on Xbox.  Saving game files isn't exactly a smooth process on the consoles.   I've found when I get to end of year negotiations I'll exit the mode before I negotiate so it saves.  Then I go to settings form the main menu, turn off auto save, then I go back in to try and negotiate with drivers.  So I guess that's kind of what console players would need to do here.  Everytime you get a desireable outcome though you have to exit the mode, go back to settings and turn auto save on.  Then enter my team again and it should pick up right where you left off, then exit again and it should then force save it.  It's a real pain; wish there was just a way to save the file like most normal games and have as many save files with as many names as you want/need.

I really hope the folks at Codies here take note of the extensive work around we have to find to get desirable outcomes in these modes.  It really should signal to them that their current strategy for implementing  driver moves isn't what we want or need.  EA taking over gives me a bit of hope that will change down the road as their franchise/career modes has normal game save systems and provide customization options for teams/players etc.  It would be nice to have control over all teams/drivers and even team/driver ratings like we do in almost every other sports title within the career modes.  I understand that takes away from the "realism" of just being a driver in career mode, or owning your team (and driving for it) in my team mode.  However, lets be serious here.  At the end of the day this is a video game.  We've already created our own fictional driver and fictional team potentially as well if playing My Team mode.  So what if there's further option there to customize it outside of the control a driver would have in the real world.   Franchise modes in sports titles should be living and breathing.  Not poorly scripted to simply pick a driver based on acclaim rating; always forcing yourself as #1 driver in Career mode to replace the existing #1 driver and having unrealistic driver moves.   Just give the player the option.  For those who don't want that control they don't have to use it; same way you can just simply turn off driver moves all together.

While I'm thankful for your post and detailed instructions and I certainly may try it in F1 2021 if the modes don't change they way they handle this, but for F12020 I'm just not motivated enough to try and salvage the 3 My Team modes and 2 driver career modes I've had to abandon due to odd driver moves with the new game coming out so soon.  I really hope the folks in charge here take note though of the tremendous efforts we have to undertake to play the game in our own way within the 10 year "franchise" modes and simply provide the customization options, more driver options (even if fictional characters) because the mode has an awesome foundation, it just kills itself with execution though by the time you hit year 4 or 5 and it then is in desperate need of customization options at that point IMO.  I've lost interest in ALL of my 3 My Team modes and 2 driver career modes because of the driver moves.  I know; "just turn them off"... but why would I want to race against the 2020 drivers grid in 2028?   For the player to keep interest in the mode past year 4 or 5 it has to stay alive; R&D changes allow that to happen as the grid can shuffle, but I've gone 2 years in one mode with no regulation changes; I'm maxed out.  With about 20k r&D points saved up.  If I got a regulation change now, I'd still be top of the grid because I have the R&D points to reinvest and not be penalized; so even that system is flawed and leaves the mode stagnant after a while. 

I really hope a focus of this year was improving the My Team and Career modes; but it doesn't seem that way thus far based on what we know of F1-2021 so I guess my only hope here is to try this workaround when the new game comes.

Exactly the issues that I faced with my old save(s), so many ridiculous driver moves that made me smash my desk like Toto, they were all ruined and I literally started over countless times just trying to get the perfect save (which couldn't until recently).

I at first only used save & load method to try getting the game to shuffle to the way I wanted. Until with a recent save where I hit a rock with Riccardo always signing with Ferrari after Vettel retired. And then out of desperation and curiosity, I went in and negotiate with him which he rejected me because I didn't met his demand, feeling hopeless and hit progress in the calendar and the next thing I know is, he's stayed at Renault for some mysterious reasons. That was how I figured out such a method could be possible after numerous further testing which brought the same desirable results (Still took me a year to figure that out though 😅)

I had made some suggestions about having the ability to control the driver market and Ai team progression in one of my posts, hope they saw it and would consider this as a good idea for the new game 😁 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1