Jump to content Jump to content

Getting around Monaco on a controller

Seeing as the most recent F1 race has been Monaco, can anyone get round this circuit in one piece using a controller/pad?

I generally don't participate in races at this track because :-

1) I just can't get around the circuit without crashing.....and

2) On the few occasions that I do get round unscathed, I take the circuit so slowly that my lap time is around 30 seconds off the pace.

• Agree 2

Yeah it's posible, it is very hard but I managed to do a 1:09.2 on Time Trial.

First of all I would recommend you take a look at YouTube tutorials, especially @PJTierney's ones as they have helped me on stopping crashing and improve my pace. Link.

I would also recommend you to constantly train (either in Time Trial or in Free Practice) on the circuit so you can get more familiar with it and learn where you could go faster.

You can also configure the AI's difficulty in the options screen, and try a few times until you get the one you most feel comfortable.

• Agree 1
6 minutes ago, Scoggins said:

Seeing as the most recent F1 race has been Monaco, can anyone get round this circuit in one piece using a controller/pad?

2) On the few occasions that I do get round unscathed, I take the circuit so slowly that my lap time is around 30 seconds off the pace.

Monaco is all about the flow, don't focus on getting fast lap time, just keep driving until you can consistently get clean laps. 

It's tricky on a few spots with controller, but totally manageable even with 110 Ai

Also, you can try to run lower downforce, yes lower downforce, like 10-12 in total, I felt that max downforce made the car behave very weirdly in this game. 

• Agree 1
12 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

That's stunning! And he uses the brake so efficiently (like hardly at all). It's like less is more. Thanks for posting and I need to check this fellas YewTewb channel out. 

Took a fair few years worth of practice to get around Monaco consistently on the pad. Used to despise and end up simulating the end of the race but now I tend to enjoy the challenge of it quite a lot. Have even gone back more recently and replayed career modes on some of the earlier games (2017, 2019), don’t know what’s happened but something just seemed to click for me and now really enjoy it. 

A few tips would be, super low tyre pressures (tyre wear is hard to control on a pad so want to keep them from wearing too fast as much as possible), soft suspension (makes getting over the bumps a lot easier and helps with tyre wear).

I also personally recommend some of “robomags” setups from f1carsetup.com. His setups have always worked wonders for me on the F1 games using a controller. 

hope that helps. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Bhawk67 said:

I have a hard time even getting around that heinous track with a wheel 😂

Aye.....I reckon it's tough full stop. Pad or wheel. I'll give it another crack but it's a massive downer qualifying at the back of the grid knowing that my chances of overtaking and moving up a few positions will be virtually zero.

Posted (edited)

for me, it took me i think 3 f1 games to get good at it without any serious practicing, so i guess itll just come with time

but id still recommend practicing or watching tutorials because 3 years is a long time 🤣

Edited by porpule2

As others have mentioned monaco is about finesse. Go for smoothness around the track, and me measured in your approach and exit. Speed comes much much later for a track like monaco. 

• Social Media & Community Team
19 hours ago, Bhawk67 said:

I have a hard time even getting around that heinous track with a wheel 😂

Can I use my rally handbrake for the hairpin please? 😄 

• Like 2
On 5/23/2021 at 9:59 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Just had a poke around this guy's channel. His tutorials are really good, especially for controller players.

Production quality could improve a little but the actual advice he's giving is top-drawer, worth a watch.

• Agree 2

Best lap at Monaco is a 1:09.2. This appears to be a track in which setup is not as the same as other tracks. I went super soft on the suspension settings. 1 for the front, 2 for the rear, 1 front anti roll bar, 2 rear anti roll bar and 2 front ride height and 3 rear ride height. Before, I was using 1 front suspension and 6 rear suspension, 2 front anti roll bar and 5 rear anti roll bar. The softer setup appeared to be way better under braking for turn 1 and the nouvelle chicane. 

• Agree 1
On 5/23/2021 at 8:03 PM, Scoggins said:

That is the way it should be without a wheel ….and without cockpit view …..

• Disagree 3
1 hour ago, Shark2Racing said:

That is the way it should be without a wheel ….and without cockpit view …..

Why some wheels drivers want to be so much faster than pad drivers, balance is pretty good right now.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I never get the Grand Hotel hairpin with a controller, no matter how I drive, I always hit the wall and cause a mass collision with the ai.
Track works just fine with controller, except the hairpin.
For me Monaco isn't doable.

58 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I never get the Grand Hotel hairpin with a controller, no matter how I drive, I always hit the wall and cause a mass collision with the ai.
Track works just fine with controller, except the hairpin.
For me Monaco isn't doable.

Aim wide, out by the green hatchings and go very slow. 

Don't turn until you're a little past the start of the green hatchings.

No throttle at all really until you're past the apex.

Brake to slow the car down then ease off the brakes so that the front end has more grip.

image.png

• Thanks 3

One of my big frustrations is that I just cannot get Monaco right, I occasionally manage a quickish lap (Solo career AI level 83, so nothing too amazing) but consistent speed is something I can't master. Not sure there is a Monaco wall I haven't hit 🙂

I will keep battling! It was a circuit I was good at all those years ago in Grand Prix 2 but cannot get it right in F1 2020. At least others find it hard as well

On 5/28/2021 at 10:51 AM, neiluk03 said:

One of my big frustrations is that I just cannot get Monaco right, I occasionally manage a quickish lap (Solo career AI level 83, so nothing too amazing) but consistent speed is something I can't master. Not sure there is a Monaco wall I haven't hit 🙂

I will keep battling! It was a circuit I was good at all those years ago in Grand Prix 2 but cannot get it right in F1 2020. At least others find it hard as well

When it comes to Monaco speed isn't everything. When everybody else loses front wing endplates finding a good rhythm for yourself is key.

Posted (edited)

I think the keys to Monaco with a controller are as follows:

- A good setup that helps the car turn, but doesn't free it up too much

- Easy trigger fingers for gas and brake

- slow and steady pace that allows you to be consistent

- focus

- patience.  Lots and lots of patience.

- lower the AI, because they seem to have super human grip around there.

- Extra front wings in the pits; lots and lots of extra wings (or turn off damage if you really need to)

- practice.  tons and tons of practice

Edited by petro1319