Jump to content Jump to content

Posted (edited)

Hi All

I have logged a frightening amount of hours on the game and had a few careers so far, I had got to using AI at level 88 using the well known test where you tweak the AI until you are about the same time as your team mate. Using AI at 88 I won the Championship with Mercedes and also had a few Williams careers where I usually beat Russell.

I am now in a longer Williams career where I am building them up (or trying) in my 5th year I have all facilities at level 3 but not maxxed and my car is floating around 3rd or 4th best on the grid. However at AI level 88 I rarely beat Russell in the other Williams in qualifying and never beat him in the race when simulating. I realise simulating probably lowers your performance against doing the race itself but I always prefer to do 100% distance and time doesn't always permit. I always feel the shorter race distance compromises tyre strategy too much.  

Do people know if they have tweaked the AI level or have I regressed? Russell's rating is 98 currently so he is top notch but so was Bottas when I beat him to the title earlier in the Mercedes. 

Edited by neiluk03

Straight away... never simulate sessions, because the ai seem to set crazy lap and sector times. Unless you want to explore like Aarava. I just finished Monaco my team today in season 2. I tried to accelerate time in Q1, and Verstappen set a 17.6 first sector in Q1 on 105 difficulty, which is 4 tenths faster than anyone else did in the entirety of Q1, Q2 and Q3 and 7 tenths faster than what I managed in any session. However, I stopped accelerating time when he started the second sector, and he did a 33.9 in that sector, which was close to Hamilton, Bottas and myself, as all 4 of us were in the fight for pole position. Verstappen then finished the lap with a 1:09.5 in the first qualifying session. 

In Q3, when me, the two Mercedes and Verstappen were fighting for pole, without simulating or accelerating time, I started with a 1:09.3, then Bottas and Verstappen set laps in the same bracket as me, but Verstappen was 0.050 faster than me. 

Never simulate or accelerate time in sessions, especially in later seasons of my team, as crazy lap times, or even unrealistic lap times occur. 

2 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Never simulate or accelerate time in sessions, especially in later seasons of my team, as crazy lap times, or even unrealistic lap times occur. 

I didnt know this , whats the point of having that option if the game bugs out because of it, quite annoying that is I dont want to sit around waiting for sessions to end

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Straight away... never simulate sessions, because the ai seem to set crazy lap and sector times. Unless you want to explore like Aarava. I just finished Monaco my team today in season 2. I tried to accelerate time in Q1, and Verstappen set a 17.6 first sector in Q1 on 105 difficulty, which is 4 tenths faster than anyone else did in the entirety of Q1, Q2 and Q3 and 7 tenths faster than what I managed in any session. However, I stopped accelerating time when he started the second sector, and he did a 33.9 in that sector, which was close to Hamilton, Bottas and myself, as all 4 of us were in the fight for pole position. Verstappen then finished the lap with a 1:09.5 in the first qualifying session. 

In Q3, when me, the two Mercedes and Verstappen were fighting for pole, without simulating or accelerating time, I started with a 1:09.3, then Bottas and Verstappen set laps in the same bracket as me, but Verstappen was 0.050 faster than me. 

THIS RIGHT HERE, the simulate or accelerating time is just ridiculous!

If you managed to accelerate time correctly at the right moment (when he's the only one in the hotlap), you could even put Russell and his Williams in top three when they're worst in R&D.

To get the most realistic results, you need to run qualifying in real time (at least whenever there are cars doing hotlaps), so you should also be running last during the final run, because if you finished the final lap when there're still cars behind you with the timer at zero, the Ai will simulate the sectors that they haven't finish and get ridiculous lap time. 

Edited by DRTApophis
13 hours ago, s00zster said:

Or use One Shot Qualifying, which is what I do. Meaning all cars are doing a full on-track lap at the same time you are, you just can't see them.

While this is a work around it shouldn't be the solution. I've only just heard about this here, if true (not something I've personally tested) this is a mjaor issue and embarrassment for the game. 

45 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

While this is a work around it shouldn't be the solution. I've only just heard about this here, if true (not something I've personally tested) this is a mjaor issue and embarrassment for the game. 

This actually works, and is good, as long as you are decent in one shot qualifying. Cause the grip in one shot qualifying is... not that spectacular lol

All these answers are fine and I have no doubt there is merit but they don't answer the original query. I was playing the game exactly the same way when I was in Mercedes beating Bottas to the title at AI 88 that I was when playing as Williams now at AI 83. Simulating about 50 to 60% of the races , always do full qualifying but I accelerate time when in the garage. So while these answers about faster AI times when simulating are no doubt valid they don't answer the query of whether the AI has been tweaked

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, neiluk03 said:

All these answers are fine and I have no doubt there is merit but they don't answer the original query. I was playing the game exactly the same way when I was in Mercedes beating Bottas to the title at AI 88 that I was when playing as Williams now at AI 83. Simulating about 50 to 60% of the races , always do full qualifying but I accelerate time when in the garage. So while these answers about faster AI times when simulating are no doubt valid they don't answer the query of whether the AI has been tweaked

First, like we've mentioned before, accelerating time in garage will make them much faster if they are on track doing hotlaps.

Second, most AI drivers slowly improve themselves throughout the seasons, it's part of their growth in stats, not to mention their team's R&D progression make a huge difference in terms of their performance. The difficulty is significantly higher during late game. 

Edited by DRTApophis
2 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

First, like we've mentioned before, accelerating time in garage will make them much faster if they are on track doing hotlaps.

Second, most AI drivers slowly improve themselves throughout the seasons, it's part of their growth in stats, not to mention their team's R&D progression make a huge difference in terms of their performance. The difficulty is significantly higher during late game. 

Thanks, but to your first point, I played the game exactly the same was like I said before so accelerating time doesn't change anything, I accelerated time with Mercedes as well. The second point also isn't valid because I am comparing myself to Russell as he develops and the Williams develops. Even in season 1 with AI level 88 he was out qualifying me, whereas at the same stage in the previous career (and previous versions) Bottas wasn't out qualifying me at AI 88. I am comparing the situations with exactly the same conditions. Comparing against the team mate in the same car

16 minutes ago, neiluk03 said:

Thanks, but to your first point, I played the game exactly the same was like I said before so accelerating time doesn't change anything, I accelerated time with Mercedes as well. The second point also isn't valid because I am comparing myself to Russell as he develops and the Williams develops. Even in season 1 with AI level 88 he was out qualifying me, whereas at the same stage in the previous career (and previous versions) Bottas wasn't out qualifying me at AI 88. I am comparing the situations with exactly the same conditions. Comparing against the team mate in the same car

From my experience, depends on how much the rule changes for R&D, in general, the AI are about 1-2 difficulties higher than your 1st season if you're running 100+ AI on your 2nd or 3rd season (so about 2-4 difficulties higher if your difficulty setting is below 100).

Though, I still need to confirm, how do you use the accelerating function in qualifying? Because, for example, if Bottas is on his hotlap while you're in the garage, if you press the time accelerate during that, Botta's on track speed will literally fast forward (not just the timer), and it'll make the AI's lap time really inaccurate.

Another situation is, if the Ai are doing their final run at the end of qualifying while you're still in the garage, the qualifying will ends immediately when the timer reached zero and the game will simply auto-generate the unfinished Ai's laptimes because they would not be able to do the full lap in real time. The auto-generated laptimes are typically much faster than what they should capable of doing for some reason, which is very inaccurate. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, neiluk03 said:

Well oops, sorry I didn't read your post properly.

Have you try comparing yourself with Bottas now at 88 difficulty settings? And, did you meant Russell in the Williams was out qualifying your Mercedes? 

Edited by DRTApophis
15 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

Well oops, sorry I didn't read your post properly.

Have you try comparing yourself with Bottas now at 88 difficulty settings? And, did you meant Russell in the Williams was out qualifying your Mercedes? 

No, it was two seperate careers, me and Bottas in a Mercedes won the Championship at AI 88. Then in the latest patch version I started a career with Williams aiming to build the car up to the top. Now in Season 5 but from season 1 had to go to AI 83 to be competitive.

It seems to me that the AI levels have been tweaked, not a bad thing if true. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, neiluk03 said:

No, it was two seperate careers, me and Bottas in a Mercedes won the Championship at AI 88. Then in the latest patch version I started a career with Williams aiming to build the car up to the top. Now in Season 5 but from season 1 had to go to AI 83 to be competitive.

It seems to me that the AI levels have been tweaked, not a bad thing if true. 

I'm not exactly sure if CM did anything specific to the Ai behaviors throughout the year, but based on my personal experience, there wasn't any specific change in difficulties.

Though, the car performances between each team might've played a part in that discrepancy on your experience. The teams don't just started out with different performances at the beginning of a career, when they're all maxed out there're still major differences. For example, a maxed out Williams's aero & chassis is still way worse than Mercedes when they're only at about 80-90% progression in R&D. 

In your situation, it may be something just as simple as the Ai Russell was adapting to the Williams better than you did, their car is definitely less forgiving than the Mercedes. 

Edited by DRTApophis
On 5/29/2021 at 11:05 AM, KNT2011 said:

Well no, you're right, it shouldn't be the solution, but unfortunately this issue is well known, has existed for years and Codemasters are seemingly unwilling to correct it because of the limitations in which they've structured the game. So these workarounds are really the only solutions until Codies decide to fix things.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:09 PM, neiluk03 said:

I don’t think the ai has been modified, as codemasters never mentioned a patch in altering their behavior, but I am at season 2 of my team at Baku in a 22 race season with Russell as my teammate, and he is 90 overall rated, with 97 pace. At the moment, we are tied 4-4 in the qualifying battle, but I have outraced him 7-1 because of the strategies he has done in the races. However, pace wise he is matching me close. It was only at Australia, Vietnam, China and Baku where I was clearly ahead because of how good I am at those tracks. But on all other races, he has been close to my pace. This is all at 105 difficulty. I’d imagine he would be faster if I construct a spec 3 simulator facility, as it is at spec 2 at the moment. 

Just never accelerate or simulate sessions. Ai does not appear to have a difference ever since the game was launched. Or, it can also be the difference between the Mercedes and the Williams’ car behaviour that could have an effect.

Thanks for the answers guys, not simulating or accelerating sessions isn't an option for me due to time constraints but I will say I have always done it and I haven't noticed any odd behaviour with AI times when simulating or accelerating time during Qualifying. I got the Williams fully upgraded no more improvements possible and was only the 3rd best car so can confirm you can't overate Mercedes. Oddly though by the end of season 5 the AI version of Alpha Tauri had become the best car. Ferrari were only above Haas and Alpha Romeo at the bottom

12 minutes ago, neiluk03 said:

by the end of season 5 the AI version of Alpha Tauri had become the best car. Ferrari were only above Haas and Alpha Romeo at the bottom

Oh ***********.... Those Alpha Tauris are massively quick in a straightline LOL I have struggled to overtake Kyvat and Gasly in a straightline even with drs. 

24 minutes ago, Krisperfectline said:

Oh ***********.... Those Alpha Tauris are massively quick in a straightline LOL I have struggled to overtake Kyvat and Gasly in a straightline even with drs. 

Well, technically the AlphaTauri is still running the Renault engine (with Honda noise) based on the files, so...LOL