DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logitech Driving Force GT - Recommended FFB Settings

Now I cant understand how I was able to play whit SAT below 100, such amount of time...

That was a real complaint of mine with the game too @OzoreXS, I just assumed the FFB lacked that dimension.  But its actually really good, we just took a while to find it!

Can anyone further comment on the OttoWilson mod?  I am quite happy with the settings I used last night (as you listed Ozore, but with 100 suspension & 0 tyre slip) & don't really want to override them unless its worth it....

So, we can stick to this config for a while(specially the SAT param) until the physics change again. 

I´ll try to refine it a bit as long as I play "the usual way" and driving the rest of the cars that I didnt tried yesterday. But I think it´ll be ok. 

The only thing I still miss is the damn return to the center of the wheel. SAT helps, but yet I miss much more force in the return. During weight transitions is almost perfect, but its not ok when exiting a hairpin yet.

@Kevm i dont want to sound more a fanboy than i already do, but take backup of original physics file and test that mod. You dont have to change your settings at first only tone SAT down (its more prominent in this mod). And take a printscreen of your settings you now like so you dont lose them.

I will test more today with settings again.

Its kind of sad that i dont understand FFB better thab i do. I have truthfully used 100h+ testing beginning from start of the EA

Now testing again. Really would help to understand how different elements have effect on each other. 

By the way new suggested setup feels good. Even with OttoWilson FFB mod. 

Difference between them is that with MOD wheel comes back to center reliably even SAT being on 58%. And there are some effect from the road in litlle bumps etc that i dont get with original .xml file..  hmm..

Well back to testing..

I wil upload my setup for both after tests

Btw. Never driven Online. Is this kind of modding ok?

@OttoWilson Could you comment on something. Is it necessary to have Damping on from profiler or Wheel friction & Tyre friction from game?? Can they be set to 0% 

I can't say if they have effect or not

EDIT: when Tyre friction put to 100% it makes holding and correcting slides easier and when i put Damping to 50% from profiler it cancel oscillations somewhat even on tarmac. This makes steering heavier though

TuliRally said:
Now testing again. Really would help to understand how different elements have effect on each other. 

By the way new suggested setup feels good. Even with OttoWilson FFB mod. 

Difference between them is that with MOD wheel comes back to center reliably even SAT being on 58%. And there are some effect from the road in litlle bumps etc that i dont get with original .xml file..  hmm..

Well back to testing..

I wil upload my setup for both after tests

Btw. Never driven Online. Is this kind of modding ok?
Since it doesnt impact over cars performance, I think that FFB files are exempt from the anticheating rules/system.

Next step, today, is testing the Otto Wilson FFB mod. I have nothing to loose :) 
@TuliRally , how is the feeling of 4x4 cars? (with MOD)

@OzoreXS your newest settings are btw the best setting i have tested by far for the DFGT with original files! Someday we will get there! Or maybe the work never ends... now to play career mode. I promised to myself to end testing at 6.30pm because i have all the house to myself till 8.30pm and some rallys are waiting to be driven

TuliRally said:
@OttoWilson Could you comment on something. Is it necessary to have Damping on from profiler or Wheel friction & Tyre friction from game?? Can they be set to 0% 
Not necessary really, FFB will feel more "raw" and "harsh" when you turn it off
Wheel Friction is just some static weight on your wheel, since i've set the center steering funcition to have a (kinda of) infinite duration, this setting may feel like a redundant effect, i think you can turn it off without screwing up the indended feeling (which mostly comes from the suspension and the SAT)
Tyre friction is a very important setting, it's the tyre's vertical (Y) load part of the FFB (more grip = heavy steering, less grip = light steering) so, the higher this setting is, bigger the contrast, like, when you have grip the steering will be even hevier, and when you don't, the steering will be even lighter
with lower values there will be less difference, when you have grip it will not be so heavy and the wheel will not get much lighter when loosing grip
I'd say it's worth experimenting with this setting as well

TuliRally said:
Wheel Friction is just some static weight on your wheel, since i've set the center steering funcition to have a (kinda of) infinite duration, this setting may feel like a redundant effect, i think you can turn it off without screwing up the indended feeling (which mostly comes from the suspension and the SAT)
Tyre friction is a very important setting, it's the tyre's vertical (Y) load part of the FFB (more grip = heavy steering, less grip = light steering) so, the higher this setting is, bigger the contrast, like, when you have grip the steering will be even hevier, and when you don't, the steering will be even lighter
with lower values there will be less difference, when you have grip it will not be so heavy and the wheel will not get much lighter when loosing grip
Both values that I was messing the most time. Its hard to feel what they transmit.

Wheel friction is clear, I called "dead weight", you referred as static weight. So, we feel the same thing I guess.

Tyre friction is the tricky one. Yes, it can provides additional info about grip. No doubt. But generally, specially with 4x4 cars (worse with the v1 ones), the resultant effect is a disaster. It randomly generates some forces that brakes the overall harmony of the FFB. And sometimes I find myself "fighting" against trying to tame an oversteer. Very obtrusive.
What value would you recomend for "tyre friction" then?

OzoreXS said:

Tyre friction is the tricky one. Yes, it can provides additional info about grip. No doubt. But generally, specially with 4x4 cars (worse with the v1 ones), the resultant effect is a disaster. It randomly generates some forces that brakes the overall harmony of the FFB. And sometimes I find myself "fighting" against trying to tame an oversteer. Very obtrusive.
Equal to the SAT, max 25% lower than the SAT, but never higher

I'm going to experiment with some things here, if i find any new good setting i will report here

OzoreXS said:

Equal to the SAT, max 25% lower than the SAT, but never higher

I'm going to experiment with some things here, if i find any new good setting i will report here
:)

After playing the 306 daily I managed to get 6th ATM.

used SAT@130 and Tyre friction@50.
Run was a blast. Full informative! I felt the rear and the front as well. Without Tyre friction you just cant feel understeer!
And I can feel the differentials acting.
This is amazing.

You see, with a bit of everyone were getting the sweet config.

Thanks mates!

And loving the Fiesta 2010 weekly at Montecarlo. This time Tyre friction @ 60... its even better!
Cant believe how much Im improving my personal bests :#

One thing i forgot i have noticed. Correvt FOV is a really big factor on how onscreen and FFB match!

Keep rallying dirty!

Btw i started now at everything on 50% and tweaking from there with OttoWilson mod

TuliRally said:
Didnt thank you for that simple and clarifying explanation. So THANK YOU! :smiley: 

Well, today I am the guy with the stupid smile that laughed testing the new setup. :)
Pretty happy with the new result (final config updated on first post of this thread)

Finally, after driving FWD, RWD & 4x4 cars I decided to set Tyre friction at 35%.

Why so low?
Well, since higher values works pretty well with FWD and RWD cars, it doesnt match so good with 4x4 ones.
I think its due to power simulated/obtained from the 2 differentials, the front and the rear one. Specially noticiable on hairpin exiting; the tyres that has more grip pulls the steering wheel to its side, even under oversteering wich is good but I think is just too much.

So TF at 35% is a good deal. Works pretty good on FWD & RWD cars and works fine as well on 4x4 cars.

Enough for today... maybe tomorrow this has another 180º turn and we "discover the Americas" again LOL

OzoreXS said:
TuliRally said:
Didnt thank you for that simple and clarifying explanation. So THANK YOU! :smiley: 
Similar thanks from here too. Clarified things a lot!

over 4 hours of rallying and testing i settled for these settings.

OttoWilson FFB Mod
Logitech profiler
OES 107
Spring 0
Damper 15-25 (smoothens things just a bit and for mw made things feel more natural, but if you want raw input take it off) im still testing this.

Enable centering: NO and 0
 900 degrees

in-game
Steering saturation 80
Softlock: No
Centering yes

SAT: 50-60
Wheel friction: 0
Tyre friction: 50-60 (but same as SAT)
Suspension: 60-85 (i guess could be anything but might be masking other effect such as friction if above that, atleast on gravel it felt it did)
Tyre spin: 60
Collision: 100 (i want to feel it)
Softlock: 100
Centering: 100 * @OttoWilson do you use this in any special way on your mod (i'm asking because you mentioned using centering spring kind of effect, but i guess you mean something similar. Just want to be sure) 

These settings are subjected to change if needed. I think i will try to bump up SAT and tyre friction.

EDIT: haha @OzoreXS just read your post after writing my own. I think i still have to rethink that tyre friction thing after what you said. Made me thinking. But Yeah.. Nice to know i'm not the only one with a silly smile anymore :smiley: and welcome to the club!

I guess this FFB thing is like universe. Under a constant change.

Centering: 100 * @OttoWilson do you use this in any special way on your mod (i'm asking because you mentioned using centering spring kind of effect, but i guess you mean something similar. Just want to be sure) 

These settings are subjected to change if needed. I think i will try to bump up SAT and tyre friction. 
I made the centering function "never" end, for example, in the original file it would center your wheel and then after 1s it vanished
i changed it so it would end after 99999999999999999999999999s or so, it acts kinda like the spring you can enable within the profiler, but it's weaker on the center, and stronger when you turn the wheel more, it will never try to really force the wheel return to the absolute center, so i noticed this could be used to "help" the SAT to transition from one side to the other more naturally

I made the centering function "never" end, for example, in the original file it would center your wheel and then after 1s it vanished
i changed it so it would end after 99999999999999999999999999s or so, it acts kinda like the spring you can enable within the profiler, but it's weaker on the center, and stronger when you turn the wheel more, it will never try to really force the wheel return to the absolute center, so i noticed this could be used to "help" the SAT to transition from one side to the other more naturally
Should it be kept at 100%?

Now to sleep.. perchance to dream

Best to keep it the same as SAT, if it's too strong it may induce the SAT to make that weird "swaying" thing on the straights...
but if you aren't getting the swaying, you can leave as it is.

@KevM 
Didnt tried Otto´s MOD yet. I prefer trying the best config from the game firstly.

@OttoWilson & @TuliRally 
Whatch out! I think you are getting wrong the 
"Steering Center Force" feature.
It just center the steering wheel ONLY if you recover the car after a crash (and the wheel is twisted). Try it out!
Let the car go out of track, gently, until you see the recover message available. Turn the steering wheel to the top of one side and let it stay there and dont touch it.
Then, press the recover button and you will see how this works. It will set you wheel to the center automatically.
The force you set, is the force game will use to do this: stronger = a bit quicker centering.

Extracted from Codies blog:

• Toggle added to enable centring of the steering wheel when the car is reset to track or starting a new race. This can be turned on/off from the “Advanced Wheel” menu in the options menu by toggling “Centre Steering”. The strength of this effect can be tuned from the “Vibration and Feedback” menu by changing “Steering Centre Force”.
  • Added a FFB slider to control the strength of the force applied when centring the wheel.
https://www.dirtgame.com/blog/4905

So whe can think, the real centering of the steering happens with car in motion; and thanks to SAT, TF and suspension FFB affects in sum.

@Malyngo 
Hey bud, tarmac is another story. Since it is not rich in FFB effects as the gravel, you will feel it a bit "flat". But anyway, is better than default of course.
At tarmac you may feel tyre friction just to high at 100%. Even at 60% is obstruct suspension FFB and SAT (wich IMHO are more important). So yeah, there will be a bit of clipping.

My advice: dont mess with nothing but the tyre friction slider. You should find your own comfort zone quickly.

@OzoreXS Yep you are right ingame Centwring setting is used for what you described, but i think he modified it. @OttoWilson any clearance in this matter? And also another question about your mod. Do you have to have centering on from profiler it go work? Or did you mean ingame centering to be set same as SAT.

I think we are getting some where with relations between each element! I will try lower tyre friction a bit and some changes you all have suggested. 

What i really would like to know is what information you really get in real rally car thru your wheel. I understand that you might need more info ingame because you lack all thoses forces to your body, but i think it still would beneficial to understand what you get in real life.
I wish i could have a change to get my wifes uncle to test this (having real rally experience for over 20 years) but he isnt to keen on these driving games.  But maybe with some trickery it might happen.

I would also hope CM to provide their version (tested by real rally drivers) of what they is the most realistic feeling. This done to all supported wheels.. i know it could be a lot of work

Try and experiment as much as you can. Its free and safe! :)

And yeah, dont put too much efforts on this until all cars get updated and grip level reworked

TuliRally said:
@OzoreXS Yep you are right ingame Centwring setting is used for what you described, but i think he modified it. @OttoWilson any clearance in this matter? And also another question about your mod. Do you have to have centering on from profiler it go work? Or did you mean ingame centering to be set same as SAT.

I think we are getting some where with relations between each element! I will try lower tyre friction a bit and some changes you all have suggested. 

What i really would like to know is what information you really get in real rally car thru your wheel. I understand that you might need more info ingame because you lack all thoses forces to your body, but i think it still would beneficial to understand what you get in real life.
I wish i could have a change to get my wifes uncle to test this (having real rally experience for over 20 years) but he isnt to keen on these driving games.  But maybe with some trickery it might happen.

I would also hope CM to provide their version (tested by real rally drivers) of what they is the most realistic feeling. This done to all supported wheels.. i know it could be a lot of work
If this help to you, I´ve driven a Ferrari F430 F1, a Porsche Cayman S, Audi R8 V10, Fiat 500 Abarth and Punto Abarth at Jarama Circuit.
I know, its tarmac and has nothing to do with with rally car specs. But after all cars are cars. All of them.
This experience helped me to figure out how a "fast" car goes, but not a "racing" one. The racing/rallying one must be the same but more extreme.

The Porsche Cayman S had street HP tyres but had a lot of grip. The funniest car I´ve driven ever, lovely handling, intuitive, responsive, predictable.... amazing.
I remember cristal clear the rear sliding, a lot, and how the steering wheel reacted "automatically" to match the back. This is what I´m getting on Dirt Rally right now, but not over tarmac (to grippy yet), on gravel!

Yesterday did a run with the Escort MK2 at Sweet Lamb, just for fun. My actual settings transfers the wheel from side to side almost automatically; you just need to assist a bit the wheel and be gentle with gas. WHAT A PLEASURE.