Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Pausing the game during online racing

I've noticed when I pause the game my car just keeps on racing. Kinda like when someone drops out and their car is ghosted and keeps racing. Do we know what determines the pace of these ghosted cars? 

Also, if you pause while entering the pit you'll set a record for pit stops, just not in a good way! 🤣😂

Posted (edited)

Not gonna lie but when I used a controller I would pause right before eau rouge and raidillon at Spa otherwise it was 50-50 I’de eat S especially in the rain. 😂

Edited by Bhawk67
  • Haha 4
10 minutes ago, Bhawk67 said:

Not gonna lie but when I used a controller I would pause right before eau rouge and raidillon at Spa otherwise it was 50-50 I’de eat S especially in the rain. 😂

Gotta let LandoBOT takes over the stressful moments.

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Great suggestion. We should adopt 0%AI for players pausing the game in MP sessions.

Whatever the AI setting, should be for AI. Not Player One.

Absolutely you should!    Or at least an adaptable AI that ensures the player's ghosted/paused car is not able to run at a pace that exceeds other players in the session still active. Knowing that the paused/ghosted car is running at an AI % level; it could in some cases exceed some of the other players pace in the session and that just shouldn't happen. People shouldn't be rewarded for exploiting the system.  No offense to the guy who mentioned doing it at Spa; I get it that temptation is hard to resist when the option is there.

I think the example above of someone pausing just to avoid crashing at a high speed wet turn is the exact justification needed for this.  I also think it was fairly well known last year that some players were doing this just to gain the online "experience" etc.   When I first saw a ghosted car in F1-19 I did some digging and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a youtube video from someone explaining/showing off the exploit to run most 5 lap races that way and get through sections (in particular at the start of the race) through high traffic and slow speed corners to avoid crash damage.  It was the exact instant I quite experimenting with online racing in this game; not to mention the frustrations involved with the penalty system and how others tend to drive.  Combining all 3 just made me say to myself "Yeah, this is a mess, not fun, and not a good use of my time". 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
On 6/1/2021 at 10:41 AM, steviejay69 said:

Great suggestion. We should adopt 0%AI for players pausing the game in MP sessions.

100% agree. After seeing this post, and out of curiosity, I let the AI take over for me during a wet one-lap qualy in Ranked multiplayer. It beat half of the guys in the session 😂

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

100% agree. After seeing this post, and out of curiosity, I let the AI take over for me during a wet one-lap qualy in Ranked multiplayer. It beat half of the guys in the session 😂

Just tried it in the wet qualy at Monza, chucked my dry setup on, AI came 5th of 15 :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

Me too, i can avoid corner cutting with that. 😄