Jump to content Jump to content

2nd driver question

morpheus47

This actually takes quite long though, so if you are rather early in your myteam mode, within the first 1-3 seasons say, I highly doubt this will be worth it.

One of the reasons being that contracts with drivers in F1 2020 are fairly short (way less than one season) and even if you manage to consistently uppen the stats of your 2nd driver, that will result in them charging way more money when you have to renegotiate. If you add the investment and running costs of your building upgrade, this wont pay off compared to signing way better drivers in the first place. Since buildings have other effects too, and also may improve your own driver reputation, or team reputation and sumsuch, it might be useful longterm later on, when you have more money than you can spend. Im my myteam playthroughs I tend to change drivers for this reason, because in general the new ones are so much cheaper than the ones who have driven 10 races for me. Unless I can afford Hamilton and the like, I find this the cheaper tactic and it seems to give identical results.

1 hour ago, Schneehase said:

This actually takes quite long though, so if you are rather early in your myteam mode, within the first 1-3 seasons say, I highly doubt this will be worth it.

One of the reasons being that contracts with drivers in F1 2020 are fairly short (way less than one season) and even if you manage to consistently uppen the stats of your 2nd driver, that will result in them charging way more money when you have to renegotiate. If you add the investment and running costs of your building upgrade, this wont pay off compared to signing way better drivers in the first place. Since buildings have other effects too, and also may improve your own driver reputation, or team reputation and sumsuch, it might be useful longterm later on, when you have more money than you can spend. Im my myteam playthroughs I tend to change drivers for this reason, because in general the new ones are so much cheaper than the ones who have driven 10 races for me. Unless I can afford Hamilton and the like, I find this the cheaper tactic and it seems to give identical results.

But don't you get automatically a lot of money after 2-3 seasons ? I often read that the players didn't know what to buy after some time. 

I don't know yet, because I never finished 2. Season 😄

2 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

But don't you get automatically a lot of money after 2-3 seasons ? I often read that the players didn't know what to buy after some time. 

I don't know yet, because I never finished 2. Season 😄

We do, there's literally nothing to spend on after season 3-4 (depends on when you reached lvl 20 team acclaim), I literally needs to purposely slow down my progression in my new save to keep things interesting. So unless if players wants a weaker teammate, always spend more on driver to purposely increase your expenses.

6 hours ago, morpheus47 said:

What happens if you can't pay your second driver?

If you don’t have enough money to afford their contract renewal, you won’t be able to renew their contract.

The money you have will dictate who you’ll be able to afford (obviously) and if you have literally no money, you’ll be given a default Codemasters driver with stats even worse than Raghunathan.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought of another question does the 2nd driver use the same preset , setup as you or do they use there own? Also does how much your cars are upgraded effect 2nd drivers? Because right now my cars are are real close to the level of team AMG overall. In fact powertrain and chassis is the highest. Im on my fourth weekend with Valtari Bottas and he has not impressed yet. I had him on another my team same thing at first even he was not good untill later so everything takes time in F1 2020.. And yeah it seems upgrading personal hasn't helped hes rated 99 overall has not impressed yet the second time.

3 hours ago, morpheus47 said:

Just thought of another question does the 2nd driver use the same preset , setup as you or do they use there own? Also does how much your cars are upgraded effect 2nd drivers? Because right now my cars are are real close to the level of team AMG overall. In fact powertrain and chassis is the highest. Im on my fourth weekend with Valtari Bottas and he has not impressed yet. I had him on another my team same thing at first even he was not good untill later so everything takes time in F1 2020.. And yeah it seems upgrading personal hasn't helped hes rated 99 overall has not impressed yet the second time.

I'm near the end of season 5 with my newest save and slightly ahead of everyone in terms of R&D, but my 100 rating Checo is still only fighting in the midfield most of the time. I'll probably try to hire someone younger next time to see if that'll change even though their ratings will be also 100, because it seems to me that the driver's stats and rating on screen actually doesn't mean anything, I bet there must be some hidden numbers within the game files that determine their actual performance.

Also, if you've paid close attention, you would have notice that the stats of some drivers actually decreases over time, it probably means that they're at their declining period, and usually those drivers will be much slower than other younger drivers once they've hit that state, even if their ratings are still higher.  

Im on weekend 6 with Bottas Valtari he was the AI points leader at 2nd seasons end. Oh i didn't notice the age stat is Battas young? guess i better check. Like i said in another my team Bottas was getting podiums twice we finished one two. This time not so not yet hope he improves. Oh what about setup the 2nd driver uses is it different than yours? In season 3 now My teams car is higher than AMG now just passed them. I have not played nearly as long as you it looks like still learning.. I had enuff money for Hamilton but didn't meet his car level demand, it's high. 

Sometimes, I think the changes take a while to implement. I brought a whole raft of Ultimate upgrades in across departments for Baku and in Baku, Canada and France, the speed was only marginally increased. Then in Austria and Silverstone, we were miles ahead of our previous pace and I hadn't put any other upgrades on. I know they're slightly different track requirements but the AI had upgraded in the interim yet we're now faster. 

In terms of drivers, at the end of Season 4, I had Mick in the car and there were to be no regulation changes. He was getting anywhere from 5th to 9th usually when I had the third best car and I didn't upgrade the car over the winter and other teams did so I dropped to 5th in the performance charts. I replaced him with Leclerc who was immediately challenging for wins, even if the car probably shouldn't have been so it's not always like a bedding-in period is required. Leclerc's stats didn't look THAT much better than Micks at that point, even with facility upgrades, other than Awareness and Experience. 

Regarding your scenario, I think the second driver uses a default setup that the rest of the grid uses. For example, if you're using a high-downforce setup but the rest of the grid is using a balanced one, i'd say Bottas would follow their lead. It's odd he's not performing as he's usually one of the more powerful AI's on the grid.

However, not all upgrades are instant pace-getters though so it depends what upgrades you're applying. For example, weight reduction will give you more pace straight off the bat and be good in qualifying whereas tyres are usually more beneficial in the race by using them in a strategy to 'go long' and I find the AI teammate doesn't really deviate onto different strategies so tyres upgrades are more for the player. That way your car looks upgraded but the AI teammate isn't technically any faster than he was before over short stints. In stints on mediums and hards, they may close in on AI cars with higher degradation at the end of stints but unless you're playing 50% races and higher, you probably won't notice.

Archived