Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Belgian GP

I don't want to sound a know it all, but down the pub with mates watching it I said Vettel tyres were going to blow, 10 seconds later 1 did. I actually got a free pint out of it as the bartender was a Grosjean fan :joy: 

I'm looking forward to seeing how Pirelli are going to deflect this. They'll probably say the tyres were just too worn, and that will justify it as far as they are concerned, but tyres shouldn't explode at high speed because of that. Vettel's tyres didn't even seem that bad, his lap times hadn't excessively deteriorated. 

Anyway, that's the vague title hopes over. It had to be perfect for the rest of the season to stand any chance at all of catching the Mercedes', but this has put him too far back. 

This crash is why Vettel is so concerned about Eau Rouge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAf5ap0M_gQ

The debris that he causes nearly sliced his finger off.

Hughesy said:
I don't want to sound a know it all, but down the pub with mates watching it I said Vettel tyres were going to blow, 10 seconds later 1 did. I actually got a free pint out of it as the bartender was a Grosjean fan :joy: 
I thought the same, purely because I thought about what happened to Rosberg on friday.

I said yesterday (a few posts above) that I was looking forward to seeing how Pirelli would deflect Vettel's tyre issue, but I wasn't expecting anything quite as nonsensical as this: 

Since November 2013, Pirelli requested that there should be rules to govern the maximum number of laps that can be driven on the same set of tyres, among other parameters to do with correct tyre usage. This request was not accepted. 

The proposal put forward a maximum distance equivalent to 50% of the grand prix distance for the prime tyre and 30% for the option. These conditions, if applied today at Spa, would have limited the maximum number of laps on the medium compound to 22.”

I read that to be that Pirelli make their tyres to specifications that were rejected 2 years ago, and place the blame for tyre failures at the door of the teams.

Related to the issue we saw for Vettel, Hembrey has also said the wear life which was stated to the team's pre-race for the medium tyre was 40 laps. And yet the right rear on Vettel's car failed "due to excessive wear" after 28 laps. Seb's lap times certainly don't show evidence of excessive wear, all of his lap times in the second stint were within a second. 

In any case though, even dismissing all of this questionable information for Pirelli, tyres shouldn't explode when they are worn out. We've seen plenty of tyres go to the canvas in the past (e.g Hamilton in China 2007) and keep their structure. 

Before this turns in to a Vettel style rant I'll stop. But the tyres have gone through two high speed blowouts this weekend, plus there is evidence of cuts on several other tyres after free practice. Pirelli's dismissal of the issue as "third party problems" is irritating when there is clearly an issue for when the cars race on high load circuits. 

FIA/FOM need to allow Pirelli to test. Old spec car (previous year), give them unlimited testing on their own budget so they have far more data.

They also need to get rid of the stupid "make tyres that suddenly go crap" idea and let the tyre manufacturer build a good race tyre.

I would love to see Alonso's start from onboard, think he was up to P12 after the first corner.