Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 Gameplay Previews

On 6/5/2021 at 11:44 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Well at least a step in the right direction,but GP2 had this already in 1995 😅 i look forward to mechanical failures finally 👌👌👌 but also this GP2 had in 1995 already 😅 i think Geoff Crammond should do a Remaster of GP2 to make us all happy 😅

I hope the AI improved 🙄 not 100% racing line driven like robots on trails. That they make mistakes,going corners wide...but the preview vids here do not give me hope.

4 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

I hope the AI improved 🙄 not 100% racing line driven like robots on trails. That they make mistakes,going corners wide...but the preview vids here do not give me hope.

Really? Try these (which I don't think have been posted above but apologies if they're repeats):

• Thanks 1

F1 2020 did feel like there wasn't much AI overtaking. Yet, that's how it is in real life as you have to be 1.5 to 2 seconds faster a lap, or super-courageous on the brakes, to make an overtake stick. 

From the previews, it looks like they're a little feistier with each other, and the player too, but i've only seen Baku and Spa races which are good overtaking tracks anyway.   

Therefore, i'd expect it to be a little more competitive while still hopefully still a little tricky for overtakes but not just a DRS train. 

• Social Media & Community Team
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Really? Try these (which I don't think have been posted above but apologies if they're repeats):

I'm sure his editor has whacked that first thumbnail through Photoshop but damn that's a good pic.

So will the game finally fix online in that in a safety car race, simply hit the person in front of you while following the safety car and you give them 5sec penalty, keep hitting them from behind and they can rack up 25secs worth of penalties.

Or how about with people stealing places under the safety car, simply wait for the person in front to brake for a slow corner or the car in front, then you accelerate rapidly past them the computer thinks the person in front is ceding position and you steal their position, a joke

Or have these fixes been sacrificed to include the cheesy story mode where the other drivers leave you phone messages, like a  high school teenage girl drama, jeez

54 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

So will the game finally fix online in that in a safety car race, simply hit the person in front of you while following the safety car and you give them 5sec penalty, keep hitting them from behind and they can rack up 25secs worth of penalties.

Or how about with people stealing places under the safety car, simply wait for the person in front to brake for a slow corner or the car in front, then you accelerate rapidly past them the computer thinks the person in front is ceding position and you steal their position, a joke

Or have these fixes been sacrificed to include the cheesy story mode where the other drivers leave you phone messages, like a  high school teenage girl drama, jeez

I don't believe any multiplayer footage has been shared yet so we don't know. Hopefully this is an area of ongoing beta testing.

23 minutes ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

So what exactly are the AI's doing, in these videos, that is so different from the ones in F1 2020. 

I posted the links to respond to the suggestion that the AI never deviate from the racing line. Beyond this I'd suggest you go by the comments in the videos.

One tricky aspect with assessing AI performance is how it varies with the set AI level. The examples shared are all of pretty high AI levels but may not be representative of much lower levels.

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

'CHEESY STORY' !!!! that took 15 mins of hard work on a Friday night while mopping up the excess booze with a crusty old kebab ..........."CHEESY STORY' ..........unbelievable.

1 hour ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

So what exactly are the AI's doing, in these videos, that is so different from the ones in F1 2020. 

From a person who're still playing the MyTeam mode religiously after almost a full year, the Ai is definitely an another major step-up from 2020. 

One of the major criticisms I had with the 2020 Ai was that, unless the speed difference at the given moment between Ai & Ai car is significant, they won't make any attempt to overtake and just stuck in the train even if the gap between cars are less than a car length. But then when they're side-by-side, in most cases they would adjust their speed so deliberately to stay in that position, that they literally become a mobile road block for half the track and make little to no effort to finish the overtaking attempt. 

So far in the videos I've watched on 2021, I've already noticed that they've pretty much fixed these issues which are quite a big impact to the gameplay. The Ai now are actually fighting for position, even when they're put into a tight spot they no longer just back-off instantly and willingly staying in the fight. At the beginning of the race when traffic is heavy, they're even actively looking for space to squeeze in and not stuck in the 2-lane trains like they commonly did in 2020.

Another refinement is that they don't make that many awkward sudden moments (quick left and right) anymore, they even improve the animation when cars are entering/leaving pitbox, it's so much more realistic now.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 1

The issue with the ai is complete lack of any kind of varied racing with the expectation last year of the weird drs open spin on straight occasionally and the rare spin on the Bahrain auto spin kerb . They are complete robots same line every lap, every corner , every race, every season. .Wet or dry never miss a apex, never lock up and go over the grass / in to barriers, never make mistake in qualifying and miss going through to next session for example just complete on rails. Seems to just be were the technology for car racing game ai Is at because even simulator games like asseto Corsa comp has the same thing .Least the motorcycle genre tries to implement some variation with ai. But car racing all just have Gran Turismo levels of ai on rails and for me at least it just got so boring now racing against pure bots. Strangely 18 actually had some variation ai got occasional punctures, they lock up and miss corner, go on grass , spin whilst battling each other but all that disappeared in 19 and 20 and probably 21 to . Strange they had a base to build from and just removed the variation side of thing's completely.

Edited by Naxlr
3 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

The issue with the ai is complete lack of any kind of varied racing with the expectation last year of the weird drs open spin on straight occasionally and the rare spin on the Bahrain auto spin kerb . They are complete robots same line every lap, every corner , every race, every season. .Wet or dry never miss a apex, never lock up and go over the grass / in to barriers, never make mistake in qualifying and miss going through to next session for example just complete on rails. Seems to just be were the technology for car racing game ai Is at because even simulator games like asseto Corsa comp has the same thing .Least the motorcycle genre tries to implement some variation with ai. But car racing all just have Gran Turismo levels of ai on rails and for me at least it just got so boring now racing against pure bots. 

Have you watched the videos I linked to?

2 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

The issue with the ai is complete lack of any kind of varied racing with the expectation last year of the weird drs open spin on straight occasionally and the rare spin on the Bahrain auto spin kerb . They are complete robots same line every lap, every corner , every race, every season. .Wet or dry never miss a apex, never lock up and go over the grass / in to barriers, never make mistake in qualifying and miss going through to next session for example just complete on rails. Seems to just be were the technology for car racing game ai Is at because even simulator games like asseto Corsa comp has the same thing .Least the motorcycle genre tries to implement some variation with ai. But car racing all just have Gran Turismo levels of ai on rails and for me at least it just got so boring now racing against pure bots. 

I've said this previously but just jumping into some 5 lapped ranked races will show you what the engine is actually capable of. Total chaos, cars flying over your head, particle effects everywhere., 4 wide through Eau Rouge... I don't expect offline mode to replicate this at all, but it is disappointing that it never does even on rare occasions. Drivers do make mistakes and crash, sometimes very specatcularly, and these things are available to the engine, but the programming is so restrictive. 

I really enjoy MotoGp's attempt at varied AI, silly as it can be occasionally, at least they go for it. 

13 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

The issue with the ai is complete lack of any kind of varied racing with the expectation last year of the weird drs open spin on straight occasionally and the rare spin on the Bahrain auto spin kerb . They are complete robots same line every lap, every corner , every race, every season. .Wet or dry never miss a apex, never lock up and go over the grass / in to barriers, never make mistake in qualifying and miss going through to next session for example just complete on rails. Seems to just be were the technology for car racing game ai Is at because even simulator games like asseto Corsa comp has the same thing .Least the motorcycle genre tries to implement some variation with ai. But car racing all just have Gran Turismo levels of ai on rails and for me at least it just got so boring now racing against pure bots. Strangely 18 actually had some variation ai got occasional punctures, they lock up and miss corner, go on grass , spin whilst battling each other but all that disappeared in 19 and 20 and probably 21 to . Strange they had a base to build from and just removed the variation side of thing's completely.

It's rare but not impossible to see Ai DNF from crashing, Canada, Monaco, Baku, Hanoi are prime examples, be it from practice, or qualifying, or the race, they still did and it was hilarious.

The real issue is the suspension damage sensitivity is way too low in the vanilla game.

Edited by DRTApophis
10 minutes ago, Eclipsium said:

Here is also a video from Alex Gillon explaining the main new features. For those who don't know what was added/removed/re-worked, here you go 🙂.

Interesting that he's saying there you can now start a career in F2, because.. eh? Can do that now can't we? 

If it means we actually start the real career mode in F2 and it's not just a season tacked on, well that changes a lot. That stops the problem of being able to pick any F1 team regardless of how you did in F2, and gives the chance for multiple F2 seasons as well? Very interested in seeing more about this. 

6 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Interesting that he's saying there you can now start a career in F2, because.. eh? Can do that now can't we? 

If it means we actually start the real career mode in F2 and it's not just a season tacked on, well that changes a lot. That stops the problem of being able to pick any F1 team regardless of how you did in F2, and gives the chance for multiple F2 seasons as well? Very interested in seeing more about this. 

I imagine it's more along the lines of him making a mistake and not realising you could already do it.

It would be weird to do an F2 season where hypothetically Ilott wins... and then he is there again in the next season when it is specifically against the Formula regulations for the champion to remain. Yes, he could get promoted but that leaves an empty seat on the grid as he's not going to replaced by someone already in F1 (like a relegation). Unless F3 is there to promote then that wouldn't really work. 

If there is a method of getting it working then I'd like to see an F2 where they can also be transferred to other teams. For example, Drugovich doing season 1 in MP but moves to UNI or Carlin for season 2. 

However, it was advertised as being in there last year... and it kinda was. It just didn't have any tangible reason to be as you could bin it into the gravel or walls every race and still get into Mercedes, Deledda style.  Maybe its been improved but I imagine it's exactly the same as it's an F1 game at the end of the day and spending 2-3 seasons in F2 isn't the general purpose so I expect you'll get promoted after the first season but your results will dictate where you can go. 

22 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I imagine it's more along the lines of him making a mistake and not realising you could already do it.

Did a little digging and it's definitely a new thing for 2021, though details are scarce

"There is also said to be a 10-year career mode that will let you start from the bottom of the grid in F2 and make your way up onto the F1 grid." - Don't know why this would be mentioned in a 2021 article if there's not something new to see here. 

Separate article: "The regular single-player driver career also now allows players to start racing in F2 before moving up to F1."

Hmm! At the moment if you do choose to race F2 first it's literally a championship mode, without any career features or bells and whistles. Will be interesting still to see what they've done with it, if you have access to the career features (as limited as they can be) while in F2, and at the very least your F2 career actually existed once you get to F1 which currently doesn't record anything about it. 

• Agree 1
8 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Did a little digging and it's definitely a new thing for 2021, though details are scarce

"There is also said to be a 10-year career mode that will let you start from the bottom of the grid in F2 and make your way up onto the F1 grid." - Don't know why this would be mentioned in a 2021 article if there's not something new to see here. 

Separate article: "The regular single-player driver career also now allows players to start racing in F2 before moving up to F1."

Hmm! At the moment if you do choose to race F2 first it's literally a championship mode, without any career features or bells and whistles. Will be interesting still to see what they've done with it, if you have access to the career features (as limited as they can be) while in F2, and at the very least your F2 career actually existed once you get to F1 which currently doesn't record anything about it. 

It did say similar last year and it turned out to be the Championship mode but that does sound like there'll be more this time. It wouldn't be advertised that prominently if it was the exact same as last year though. I do think it'll be like last year but will have some unique points such as "Joining the grid is last years F2 champion/runner-up *Player Name* and he'll be turning out for *Insert team name*" and your results will be recorded under a different tab. Such as, Points in F2, F2 Pole Positions, etc. Kept separate from F1 results, but still visible. Then in the last tab for standings, it'll be there under Season1. 

It'd be cool if F2 seasons went on even when you're in F1 with visibility of the season progress and you can see who is winning it and likely to be promoted the next year. Although there'd be nobody to replace them in F2 but that's a separate issue.

I don't think it's going to be revolutionary... but a little step forward. 

1 minute ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I don't think it's going to be revolutionary... but a little step forward. 

I'll take it, anything to add a little immersion to this area. I certainly don't expect formula's to run alongside each other, will be too much processing for the game to do without making it part of a main feature. 

Oh for the days of F1 06 when you must pick Minardi and progression was brutal. 

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

I'll take it, anything to add a little immersion to this area. I certainly don't expect formula's to run alongside each other, will be too much processing for the game to do without making it part of a main feature. 

Oh for the days of F1 06 when you must pick Minardi and progression was brutal. 

motoGP games simulate moto 2 and 3 simultaneously with motogp, even if you are already racing in the main category. I think it's CM laziness.
  • Agree 1