Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 News & Gameplay Previews

58 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Launch trailer dropping soon, it's almost race time 🙂 

I am a bit dissapointed with the tracks, at least seeing on the trailer

After seeing China in Braking Point with a lot of changes, i was expecting changes for the other tracks too, hope it's just the trailer.

I know you cant say anything, but, changes was made for other tracks, right? Like Abu Dhabi i dont know if people realised that there is a long sausage kerb at the last corner, like IRL.

And, other thing. 

The Deluxe Edition will come out at 13th July at exactly 0:00 UK TIME? If so, i will be able to play here in Brazil 12th July at 21h00 PM.

• Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team

I don't have definitive details on the release time or any potential track revisions, sorry. (not witholding anything, simply don't have the info)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, PJTierney said:

I don't have definitive details on the release time or any potential track revisions, sorry. (not witholding anything, simply don't have the info)

Hope there is some changes, cus China looks awesome, so much better then before. 

About the release time, well only three days, right. Hope comes early for me, but it's around the corner. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sector4 said:

I desperately want to be hyped for this game but

I feel you.

There were too many issues in F1 2020 that either remained unsolved (not going to list them here though, thats too OT) or were not to my personal preference, though the games potential was huge and not all of it has been utilized. Added micro transactions to an annual full price title, ouch. Many, many liveries, but hardly beautiful ones to work with, stripes and striped designs all over the place. No editor in game for anything, neither graphics or logos, nor stats or performance values. Mixed experience with the AI drivers. Not that you get me completely wrong, still playing F1 2020 regularly, despite all that.

That said, I am not the target audience for the new story mode either, and what i took from available sources so far is at least mixed. I will be missing some tracks, even if i was patient through the summer, thus not a chance to play the game the way the RL championship evolves (not blaming anybody, not whining, just a fact). No mouse in menus on PC (brrrr) still a bummer even if PC sales are the smaller part, seemingly no leap in (next gen) graphics. No solution (known yet) for the mixed online / multiplayer / league experience. A damage model that is a good idea but not there yet where it should be / will be in the end. Old track data, questionable track limits, penalties and rules, some of them not up to date. Driver stats / engine performance values that I havent been too happy with for a year now, doesnt seem to change based on recent release of driver stats. Not too sure car handling is going more into arcade direction, than into simulation direction, that remains to be seen. Classic cars gone, hmm.

Then there is EA and their "new" price calculations on top of that (10,- Euros more in my market than last years game, even after the deduction of the "loyalty bonus"). In the end, it is not easy to be hyped for things. Lets hope F1 2021 is still going to surprise me in some positive way. X my fingers.

Edited by Schneehase
9 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

I feel you.

There were too many issues in F1 2020 that either remained unsolved (not going to list them here though, thats too OT) or were not to my personal preference, though the games potential was huge and not all of it has been utilized. Added micro transactions to an annual full price title, ouch. Many, many liveries, but hardly beautiful ones to work with, stripes and striped designs all over the place. No editor in game for anything, neither graphics or logos, nor stats or performance values. Mixed experience with the AI drivers. Not that you get me completely wrong, still playing F1 2020 regularly, despite all that.

That said, I am not the target audience for the new story mode either, and what i took from available sources so far is at least mixed. I will be missing some tracks, even if i was patient through the summer, thus not a chance to play the game the way the RL championship evolves (not blaming anybody, not whining, just a fact). No mouse in menus on PC (brrrr) still a bummer even if PC sales are the smaller part, seemingly no leap in (next gen) graphics. No solution (known yet) for the mixed online / multiplayer / league experience. A damage model that is a good idea but not there yet where it should be / will be in the end. Old track data, questionable track limits, penalties and rules, some of them not up to date. Driver stats / engine performance values that I havent been too happy with for a year now, doesnt seem to change based on recent release of driver stats. Not too sure car handling is going more into arcade direction, than into simulation direction, that remains to be seen.

Then there is EA and their "new" price calculations on top of that. In the end, it is not easy to be hyped for things. Lets hope F1 2021 is still going to surprise me in some positive way. X my fingers.

I get the general essence of this post is negative but it's refreshing to see it structured in a constructive criticism way, other than a simple 'Codemasters are lazy" barrage of criticisms with little further context on the grievances people have with the game and aspects of the game to look at improving. 

You're correct that the game potential is huge and it'll be interesting how they go forwards with more resource. Naturally you expect the quality of the games to increase, but peoples expectations will also increase simultaneously.

It's hard to dispute any of your points you raise so we'll have to see how this game goes and whether it looks like there should be more hype for next year instead of this one. Personally, i'm okay for baby steps improvements this year as it's been a testing time for them to implement everything they'd want to. However, I feel a few things will change over the next 2 games as it moves towards next-gen. Hopefully they embrace some of the minutiae you've raised and it'll get them towards the right path. 

27 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

seemingly no leap in (next gen) graphics.

Just on this point it's obviously on the new consoles where you'd expect to see the most change, not PC. The addition of the 120 fps option there is seemingly the big change from the last game for me, although so far I've not seen any indication of how well this may run or if the other graphical trade-offs will be worth it.

Just now, Ultra3142 said:

consoles where you'd expect to see the most change, not PC. The addition of the 120 fps option there is seemingly the big change from the last game

Thats is of course correct, my point of view is from PC only. I guess that is a buildt in downside of multi platform releases, on one hand, you got to do them to round up enough revenues to justify the investment into a top notch title / game, on the other hand with several platforms released simultaniously, you will never manage to make everyone happy.

40 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Thats is of course correct, my point of view is from PC only. I guess that is a buildt in downside of multi platform releases, on one hand, you got to do them to round up enough revenues to justify the investment into a top notch title / game, on the other hand with several platforms released simultaniously, you will never manage to make everyone happy.

Having three new platforms to have to spend time optimising the 2021 game for can only have added to Codemasters' workload over the last year, whilst understandably still producing last-gen console versions as well.

For me the things to be excited about are the level of customisation we have now in Career, the damage changes and a thing like VSCs now able to become fully SC periods. Jeff telling you why a SC is deployed a nice thing too.

I got excited when I saw the option to slow down our development and at the same time, boost the IA development. What have made the MyTeam boring at some point was how easy was to get on top of it, like 2 to 3 season max. Now things can get really harder.. I'm not a online lobby guy for this game, despite the league racing.

• Agree 1

I don't have high hopes for this years edition. As I still can't seem to buy a PS5 in a normal way I'm not getting the massive graphics overhaul. So I'm actually buying it just for the story so I hope it will be 6 hours gameplay but as with all good marketing it will probably be 3 hours max. What I'm most worried about from watching the trailers is MyTeam. I found it to be a very enjoyable game mode but also a frustrating one on the customisation side and by the looks of the MyTeam liveries it looks like My Team didn't get a massive overhaul. I'm expecting the same game mode with only a new look for the menus. 

On a positive note, I found F1 2020 to be one of the best F1 games so it can't be worse than the best F1 game ever (that I have played, yes I know some of you disagree) if not much is changed 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BelgiumDude

2 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

I don't have high hopes for this years edition. As I still can't seem to buy a PS5 in a normal way I'm not getting the massive graphics overhaul. So I'm actually buying it just for the story so I hope it will be 6 hours gameplay but as with all good marketing it will probably be 3 hours max. What I'm most worried about from watching the trailers is MyTeam. I found it to be a very enjoyable game mode but also a frustrating one on the customisation side and by the looks of the MyTeam liveries it looks like My Team didn't get a massive overhaul. I'm expecting the same game mode with only a new look for the menus. 

On a positive note, I found F1 2020 to be one of the best F1 games so it can't be worse than the best F1 game ever (that I have played, yes I know some of you disagree) if not much is changed 🤷‍♂️

Well there seem to be a lot more little changes with big effect. For example all all different setting options for damage, for safety car, for developing speed etc. Since years I read in this forum wishes for more free options to customise the game how you want to play it. This game seems to make a lot of ways of playing the game like you want, possible. 

I really hope they kept the dirty air, drs and slipstream effect almost like in f1 2020. The slipstream and drs effect combination was so overpowered in f1 2019. The best strategy was staying behind your opponent, saving energy in drs zones and then attack in the end of the race. Not quiet realistic. There were only advantages staying behind someone, but in real life it is the opposite.

Racing and the handling of the car were absolutely great in f1 2020! The only thing was that the AI had problems with overtaking .

3 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

I really hope they kept the dirty air, drs and slipstream effect almost like in f1 2020. The slipstream and drs effect combination was so overpowered in f1 2019. The best strategy was staying behind your opponent, saving energy in drs zones and then attack in the end of the race. Not quiet realistic. There were only advantages staying behind someone, but in real life it is the opposite.

Racing and the handling of the car were absolutely great in f1 2020! The only thing was that the AI had problems with overtaking .

True, it has been a few months since I played F1 2020 so I picked it up again yesterday and was again surprised of how good the feeling of racing is in F1 2020. 

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, BelgiumDude said:

True, it has been a few months since I played F1 2020 so I picked it up again yesterday and was again surprised of how good the feeling of racing is in F1 2020. 

Indeed I went back to 2019 for a bit while a patch was made for the Ps4's crashing issues and the difference is eye opening. 2019 feels like freighters how long it takes the car to turn after you've turned in on the wheel, felt very very heavy in comparison. 

2020 you really can place the car exactly where you want it and it leads to some fast and realistic close racing especially online (before they stick you in the wall for having the audacity to pass). 

• Agree 1