Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

F1 2021 News & Gameplay Previews

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I posted the links to respond to the suggestion that the AI never deviate from the racing line. Beyond this I'd suggest you go by the comments in the videos.

One tricky aspect with assessing AI performance is how it varies with the set AI level. The examples shared are all of pretty high AI levels but may not be representative of much lower levels.

I am certain if you looked hard enough, you can find identical aarava\tiametmarduk videos from last year pointing out the same supposedly improvements. They said it them self, they were told by cm not to comment on the ai, and the reason could be, that their race craft are not yet updated. aarava\tiametmarduk reviews are always a bit contrived. 

There is nothing tricky about assessing the AI performance between difficulties such as 25/110. They have identical race craft. The 110 AI simple drives the lap a lot faster.

Edited by LEWISt17KIMI
26 minutes ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

There is nothing tricky about assessing the AI performance between difficulties such as 25/110. They have identical race craft. The 110 AI simple drives the lap a lot faster.

Based on the comments I've seen on this forum I get the distinct impression that this isn't true. As one example it seemed like AI mistakes might actually be more common at higher AI levels. As I said though it is not easy to assess this sort of thing. 

• Agree 1
7 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Based on the comments I've seen on this forum I get the distinct impression that this isn't true. As one example it seemed like AI mistakes might actually be more common at higher AI levels. As I said though it is not easy to assess this sort of thing. 

There's every chance it is seen to 'make mistakes' at higher levels as the higher speeds give less margin for error and time to react, rather than it being programmed differently. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

There's every chance it is seen to 'make mistakes' at higher levels as the higher speeds give less margin for error and time to react, rather than it being programmed differently. 

I'm mostly thinking back to threads with some people saying they never saw AI mistakes of any kind vs others that saw plenty, and differing AI levels appeared to be one possible explanation. Whatever the speed, a mistake slows a car relative to others and is noticeable.

On the other hand it may be that people racing against higher level AI will, on average, play the game rather more than those playing against lower level AI, and this is turn may bias perception.

As a player rather than a developer I think it's very hard to be sure about this sort of stuff.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1
14 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'm mostly thinking back to threads with some people saying they never saw AI mistakes of any kind vs others that saw plenty, and differing AI levels appeared to be one possible explanation. Whatever the speed, a mistake slows a car relative to others and is noticeable.

On the other hand it may be that people racing against higher level AI will, on average, play the game rather more than those playing against lower level AI, and this is turn may bias perception.

As a player rather than a developer I think it's very hard to be sure about this sort of stuff.

Ai makes a lot of tiny mistakes when you're right on their mirror. Tbh, unless Ai really could evolve into truly behaving like humans, I would rather have them driving like on rails and be consistent. Right now the Ai having random failures or grid penalties is already irritating me quite badly because of how artificial it felt.  

Posted (edited)

We have much wet gameplays but i cant see drying race line? Hope the whole weather changes from wet to dry will be improved in final release.

Edited by Neomo
  • Agree 1
15 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

Ai makes a lot of tiny mistakes when you're right on their mirror. Tbh, unless Ai really could evolve into truly behaving like humans, I would rather have them driving like on rails and be consistent. Right now the Ai having random failures or grid penalties is already irritating me quite badly because of how artificial it felt.  

AI have being behaving like humans since the launch of GP4, or even before. Random failure for AI by default, should never be in game, until the player also have the same option, where he or she can choose whether use it or not.

2 minutes ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

AI have being behaving like humans since the launch of GP4, or even before. Random failure for AI by default, should never be in game, until the player also have the same option, where he or she can choose whether use it or not.

The player has the option to have their own car faults in F1 2021.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
21 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

The player has the option to have their own car faults in F1 2021.

I was referring  F1 2020, and yes I have seen the driver fault options in the F1 2021 reviews. Although I could be wrong, it seems like the options are only available in the career modes.

6 minutes ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

I was referring  F1 2020, and yes I have seen the driver fault options in the F1 2021 reviews. Although I could be wrong, it seems like the options are only available in the career modes.

I would have thought career mode is probably the only place we'd really want this?

4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I would have thought career mode is probably the only place we'd really want this?

Maybe Championships mode?   You know, if you want to do the season as an actual driver.  Otherwise, I can't see any other scenario where it'll be useful. 

Grand Prix is usually used for one-off races and the daily weekly events for the Pitcoin Pass so it'd probably frustrate people if they get close to one of the achievements and a random engine blowout means they have to start again. (Although I guess you could turn Player Failures off in the settings, but people forget).

Time trial definitely wouldn't have it as that defeats the purpose. 

Career/MyTeam and the Championship modes are the only logical places, but I guess it's a case of everyone wants every customisable setting available for every mode. 

• Agree 1

For what I've seen seems hardly worth the £70 that they are charging. Since things are removed like classics for silly social to try to deter rammers and cheaters. The time could used elsewhere to better improve the gameplay.  

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

For what I've seen seems hardly worth the £70 that they are charging. Since things are removed like classics for silly social to try to deter rammers and cheaters. The time could used elsewhere to better improve the gameplay.  

You can buy the disc version for £45.

11 hours ago, Chromatic said:

silly social to try to deter rammers and cheaters.

I doubt this took anywhere near the bulk of the budget or dev time, it's an odd thing to pick out to complain out. Anyone who is a regular multiplayer user, and there are many, should be optimistic about this addition as, depending how it's done, it could aleviate some of the massive frustration caused by yup, rammers and cheaters. 

Totally fine if you don't think the game is worth the price on the features offered, but this is an odd one to pick on IMO, and again depending how it's done could be very popular. 

I doubt classic cars were removed specifically to accomodate this mode. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Haha 1
On 6/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, DRTApophis said:

i hate games where the Ai are on rails , its so boring , tbh I like all the random failures etc , and the fact that it will now happen to the player in 2021 is even better. I want more Ai mistakes tbh , they dont seem to make any major mistakes like spinning off etc, just my opinon. i think its more realistic with those sorts of things happening.

2 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

i hate games where the Ai are on rails , its so boring , tbh I like all the random failures etc , and the fact that it will now happen to the player in 2021 is even better. I want more Ai mistakes tbh , they dont seem to make any major mistakes like spinning off etc, just my opinon. i think its more realistic with those sorts of things happening.

The Ai in F1 2020 could already make quite a fair bit amount of mistakes especially on city circuit and when they're under pressure. 

The thing is, Ai in some games are either trying too hard pretending to be human that they drove like 10 years old in multiplayer, or that they were so cautious at trying to "race you clean" that they'll literally make way for you to pass them and they ended up being slow and uncompetitive. 

To be honest, if you excluding practice where everyone is testing the limit, real life F1 driver don't really make much mistake on regular circuit anyways, they're literally on rail themselves most of the time. 

22 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

To be honest, if you excluding practice where everyone is testing the limit, real life F1 driver don't really make much mistake on regular circuit anyways, they're literally on rail themselves most of the time. 

Yes but they do crash and they do spin out , granted its not every race or lap etc , but it happens , so would just be nice to see that in the game , Ive not seen it ever in F1 2020 , seen retirements , but never a crash or a spin out

2 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

Yes but they do crash and they do spin out , granted its not every race or lap etc , but it happens , so would just be nice to see that in the game , Ive not seen it ever in F1 2020 , seen retirements , but never a crash or a spin out

It is exceptionally rare and I'd say more of the accidents occur from player interactions (following them closely and forcing them to make a mistake or a late defensive movement when they're trying to overtake and forcing them to react in lower downforce) than from either self-inflicted loss of control or from AI vs AI incidents. It does happen occasionally on long straights like Vietnam, but rarely, and it's not been race-ending issues.  Of course, it's possible that things are happening to the AI when the player isn't directly around. For example, the player is at turn 1 and the AI are making their mistake at turn 12. You'd not see them making the actual mistake and wouldn't know it happened as they'd have recovered by the time you get there. 

I've noticed that AI mistakes happen at higher AI's in comparison to lower ones.  That could just be my experience though and not representative of other peoples experiences. 

13 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

It is exceptionally rare and I'd say more of the accidents occur from player interactions (following them closely and forcing them to make a mistake or a late defensive movement when they're trying to overtake and forcing them to react in lower downforce) than from either self-inflicted loss of control or from AI vs AI incidents. It does happen occasionally on long straights like Vietnam, but rarely, and it's not been race-ending issues.  Of course, it's possible that things are happening to the AI when the player isn't directly around. For example, the player is at turn 1 and the AI are making their mistake at turn 12. You'd not see them making the actual mistake and wouldn't know it happened as they'd have recovered by the time you get there. 

I've noticed that AI mistakes happen at higher AI's in comparison to lower ones.  That could just be my experience though and not representative of other peoples experiences. 

They quite often spun out on that final flat-out turn on the main straight of Baku, touch the curb and lost control, then massive pile-up follows. Sometimes they hit the I'm Stupid corner and lost bits of their wings too. 

3 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

They quite often spun out on that final flat-out turn on the main straight of Baku, touch the curb and lost control, then massive pile-up follows. Sometimes they hit the I'm Stupid corner and lost bits of their wings too. 

with the new single player replay hud I'll be watching my offline races back more so it's going to be interesting to look out for these kinds of things. 

I'm playing MotoGP on and off still (terrible rider so online isn't much fun right now haha) and I note they're probably going to far the other way, riders going flying very often! But this is championed part of their AI so there is something there, like to see some middle ground. 

1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

with the new single player replay hud I'll be watching my offline races back more so it's going to be interesting to look out for these kinds of things. 

I'm playing MotoGP on and off still (terrible rider so online isn't much fun right now haha) and I note they're probably going to far the other way, riders going flying very often! But this is championed part of their AI so there is something there, like to see some middle ground. 

Yea I would say it's a bit tricky to find the right balance. Atm even just random failures and penalties Ai had irritates me, but may be that's because it's an unfair situation since players are pretty much immune to those issues, it kinda made me feel like I'm cheating and they literally ruined many good races I had with Ai.

Edited by DRTApophis
52 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

Yea I would say it's a bit tricky to find the right balance. Atm even just random failures and penalties Ai had irritates me, but may be that's because it's an unfair situation since players are pretty much immune to those issues, it kinda made me feel like I'm cheating and they literally ruined many good races I had with Ai.

A friend of mine retires after a DRS failure to even the numbers for the season, hopefully something self imposed like that won't be needed with the new options but it remains to be seen how it's implemented. I recall learning that if you set damage to simulation, it's only you on simulation, the AI is just on full, again, things like this are irritating. 

• Agree 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to F1 2021 News & Gameplay Previews