Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 News & Gameplay Previews

From what I gathered by watching the videos, the content creators are only allowed to upload the first hour of Braking Point before Monday, which takes you to the end of Chapter 2. Then on Monday, the embargo is lifted fully and they can put out what they like.

I love it so far. I also think the balance is right in that the first two chapters are still building the story, so nothing we have seen can be considered HUGE spoilers. 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

I would like bring up a point which is off topic here, but since there is no F1 2021 forum up yet, and since these youtube videos are our only source of information, it might still fit in here somehow 🙂 - in one of the videos it is noticeable, that AI cars which hit a players car from behind do still apply full throttle, attempting to "drive through" or "push along" the players car. That was a problem in the F1 2020 game as well, and I hoped this would become corrected in the new game, especially so with the new damage model. This should be corrected to AI cars lifting throttle after contact and steer around the players car, so that you can steer the players car away from the danger point. If this is left "as is" you will always hit additional walls and cars while the players car is being pushed, and besides, any F1 driver hitting you and continuing to throttle while he is in contact with your car (and the physics in place here as well) is completely unrealistic. Would be nice if this was "noted" by Codies staff, thanks!

Edited by Schneehase
typo

Anyone else notice the shadows on the players car are terrible, not sharp at all and flicker everywhere. This is on some PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X footage. Last year on PS4 the shadows were sharp, a big step backwards ?

35 minutes ago, Huddo said:

Anyone else notice the shadows on the players car are terrible, not sharp at all and flicker everywhere. This is on some PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X footage. Last year on PS4 the shadows were sharp, a big step backwards ?

I think we have to wait for the release version and / or day 1 patch to judge this - this discussion has been going on since the first footage was released and I sincerely hope there is no backwards step in graphics quality over F1 2020.

• Social Media & Community Team
1 hour ago, DJNicks87 said:

From what I gathered by watching the videos, the content creators are only allowed to upload the first hour of Braking Point before Monday, which takes you to the end of Chapter 2. Then on Monday, the embargo is lifted fully and they can put out what they like.

This is correct.

1 hour ago, Huddo said:

There's still some final touch-ups and polishing in the works. I've been taking screenshots this week (on a build ever so slightly ahead of reviewers/creators) and noticed yesterday that things were still being tweaked and spruced up. 

This is normal in game development 🙂 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

I think we have to wait for the release version and / or day 1 patch to judge this - this discussion has been going on since the first footage was released and I sincerely hope there is no backwards step in graphics quality over F1 2020.

Well I do hope they make improvements because those flickering shadows all over the players car is very off putting. Fingers crossed for a patch asap.

1 minute ago, PJTierney said:

This is correct.

There's still some final touch-ups and polishing in the works. I've been taking screenshots this week (on a build ever so slightly ahead of reviewers/creators) and noticed yesterday that things were still being tweaked and spruced up. 

This is normal in game development 🙂 

Thank you, fingers crossed this will be improved. I can see definite improvements graphically elsewhere, it's just those awful shadows compared to 2020. Even on the PS4 version they had sharper shadow graphics than this years PS5 version. 

• Social Media & Community Team

Also could depend on other factors, for example Xbox Series X (which I play on) has a Quality and a Performance Mode, the latter of which I presume scales back a few things to target 120fps.

43 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Also could depend on other factors, for example Xbox Series X (which I play on) has a Quality and a Performance Mode, the latter of which I presume scales back a few things to target 120fps.

Thanks again, that makes sense, not long now to find out for ourselves.

3 hours ago, Schneehase said:

I would like bring up a point which is off topic here, but since there is no F1 2021 forum up yet, and since these youtube videos are our only source of information, it might still fit in here somehow 🙂 - in one of the videos it is noticeable, that AI cars which hit a players car from behind do still apply full throttle, attempting to "drive through" or "push along" the players car. That was a problem in the F1 2020 game as well, and I hoped this would become corrected in the new game, especially so with the new damage model. This should be corrected to AI cars lifting throttle after contact and steer around the players car, so that you can steer the players car away from the danger point. If this is left "as is" you will always hit additional walls and cars while the players car is being pushed, and besides, any F1 driver hitting you and continuing to throttle while he is in contact with your car (and the physics in place here as well) is completely unrealistic. Would be nice if this was "noted" by Codies staff, thanks!

Although I could be wrong, I doubt if cm have updated the ai from F1 2020, in the early build. For this reason, the youtubers were told specifically, not to talk about the ai.  

1 hour ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

Although I could be wrong, I doubt if cm have updated the ai from F1 2020, in the early build. For this reason, the youtubers were told specifically, not to talk about the ai.  

Not sure about that. I suspect it is/was subject to change and many YouTubers commented anyway and were generally positive about it having improved when they did.

Posted (edited)

I might be a verstappen fan but I feel like him and hamilton should have the same pace. Hopefully the in-season updates can create a generally more fair representation of all the drivers.

Edited by smalls048
23 minutes ago, smalls048 said:

I might be a verstappen fan but I feel like him and hamilton should have the same pace. Hopefully the in-season updates can create a generally more fair representation of all the drivers.

They have the same overall rating, which I would say is the overarching comparison we should look at. 

When you break down the two driver’s stats, I’d argue that Max has the better of the two. His Awareness and Racecraft are better, and his Pace is only one rating lower. Lewis only has a significant advantage with Experience, obviously because he’s been in the sport longer.

I feel a little sceptical about Lewis and Max being seen as better than Senna and Schumi. It's abit of a catch 22 really. Lewis, I can kinda understand as he is a legend of the sport and probably is worthy of getting a rating akin to theirs. However, would I say Max is as good as Schumi and Senna (and even Prost) were? Nah.  However, he IS as good as Lewis currently is. Is Lewis the best he's ever been?  Maybe, but i'd have had Lewis at 93 and Max at 92 (and blame it on the experience stat).

Is Bottas the third best driver on the grid?  🤐   He's good, yes. But not THAT good. I'd have him down a few pegs, but still ahead of Perez.

I think Leclerc has been done dirty... again. I'm a massive fan of his natural talent and it turns out beating Seb consistently does nothing for you. I accept he's not on his game every weekend but he's definitely third fastest outright on the grid. I'd push him to a 90 and demote the others like Bottas, Ric Gasly and Norris.

Norris is basically god tier. I'm thinking both him and Danny Ric are a little inflated. I'd had had DR at 88 and Norris at 87.  Norris, in particular is tied to Sainz... 4 Points better than Sainz?  A guy who has routinely been superior in their team dynamic?    I get that Norris has been better this year but i'm placing that as a combination of the car and his ability. Danny is still fast, despite his off-season so I can understand him being 90 but I don't see him as World Champion quality so i'd have him, Bottas and Perez as late 80's.

Vettel and Alonso are going to be riding on the coattails of their experience but I think Alonso is marginally more impressive than Seb currently. 89 and 87... maybe. 

In the midfield, Stroll as an 83 is about where I see him. Sainz as an 87 to 88 is fine. Ocon, I feel is a little inflated based off early season form. I'd have him at 82/83. Gasly is also a little inflated but I think he's doing wonders so far over the last two seasons so i'd have him at 87/ 88 with Sainz.

Kimi, I think is accurate in reflection to Vettel and Alonso. However, if i'm giving Vettel 87, Kimi is like an 84.. at most. Gio, I think is about right. I like his qualifying pace but his race pace is questionable. 79 with room to grow works. 

Tsunoda.. 82. I can only imagine that is based on car/driver correlation and it's to make sure he's keeping up with the rest. Unless there's a crashing stat that balances him out as he's not 6 points better than Mick and 11 better than Latifi.

And speaking of Latifi.. what on earth has he done to CM to deserve a second year of derision. He's still behind George, yes... but he's closer and George is a hell of a benchmark to be compared against. I think George has the potential to be up there with Max in the future and he was better than Norris in feeder series but I accept Norris being higher at the moment due to having more experience battling towards the front. 84 is okay... in reflection to the Williams. He's naturally better than that though.

I think Mazepin is better than 67 but i'm really not fussed as i'm not an overly big fan of his. I recognise his ability but just don't care enough to query it. Mick is probably a late 70's guy but I think it's Tsunoda being overrated that makes his look bizarre. I'll have to see what Ilott is rated as when F2 ratings come out. You'd think he'd be one or two ahead of Ilott. 

I seem to disagree with most of them but I think they're in the right ballparks for the most part. Except Tsunoda and Latifi. I presume there is some correlation to team balancing to make sure one team isn't doing better than their team comparison states?

It just doesn't compare to the Icon ratings all that well.

Like Mercedes - Rosberg - an 89.   Is Bottas 3 points better now than Rosberg ever was?   I don't think Bottas is as good as Merc Rosberg on his worst days. Except in qualifying, maybe.

2 minutes ago, Gladystonff said:

Hopefully this year Bottas isn't much better than Verstappen and Hamilton. In F1 2020 is with super powers.

This was commonly blamed on his 99 Awareness stat (although I imagine that was speculation as it's his only stat above Lewis) Otherwise, if Awareness is OP) George with his new shiny 99 rating will be getting his Williams points after all!   

I'm thinking Bottas will be similar to last year as he's not far behind Hammy and they'd want him to be challenging Lewis, not getting steamrolled. Last year it was just too far that way.

Personally I noticed more Bottas domination from season two/three onwards when Lewis' stats would decline. 

9 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

George with his new shiny 99 rating will be getting his Williams points after all!   

Deeply sus of any attribute being set at 99 to be honest, how on earth would you go about deciding that someone is now 'peak' in that area? At the higher end of a spectrum sure but what on earth could you provide as evidence that would be objective enough to say someone is the ultimate in this or that attribute. Not a fan of it at all. 

Just now, KNT2011 said:

Deeply sus of any attribute being set at 99 to be honest, how on earth would you go about deciding that someone is now 'peak' in that area? At the higher end of a spectrum sure but what on earth could you provide as evidence that would be objective enough to say someone is the ultimate in this or that attribute. Not a fan of it at all. 

I cannot agree more, particularly with that stat.  There's a few of them at 99 and we're to assume they've mastered it all to the same level which seems unlikely. I think maximum ratings should be something someone COULD achieve if all the stars align and they are the best that's ever been seen. Devalues it when everyone is high.

Regarding awareness; It assumes that drivers never make mistakes. Ever. I've seen George make a fair few. Bottas has made a couple too.  Can I imagine any driver making every lap they ever do without ever making a mistake?  Not at all. That should be the 99 criteria and therefore nobody should ever be 99. 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I cannot agree more, particularly with that stat.  There's a few of them at 99 and we're to assume they've mastered it all to the same level which seems unlikely. I think maximum ratings should be something someone COULD achieve if all the stars align and they are the best that's ever been seen. Devalues it when everyone is high.

Regarding awareness; It assumes that drivers never make mistakes. Ever. I've seen George make a fair few. Bottas has made a couple too.  Can I imagine any driver making every lap they ever do without ever making a mistake?  Not at all. That should be the 99 criteria and therefore nobody should ever be 99. 

Fully agree it makes no sense at all, like you say it should be reserved for absolute legends of the sport and rarely used (see Bottas last year for when you arbitrarily assign these stats). 

Gasly has 99 awareness as well. Higher than Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen. 3 world champions and 3 of the best drivers to grace the sport. 

I'd love to see the working out of that one., I'm sure Horner would get a giggle out of it. 

Edited by KNT2011
2 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Fully agree it makes no sense at all, like you say it should be reserved for absolute legends of the sport and rarely used (see Bottas last year for when you arbitrarily assign these stats). 

Gasly has 99 awareness as well. Higher than Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen. 3 world champions and 3 of the best drivers to grace the sport. 

I'd love to see the working out of that one. 

Even the legends make mistakes. You just assume they make less of them due to their experience. The younger ones would theoretically make more as they're optimistic in going for moves and situations that don't pan out. 

Experience is the only stat I can understand being maxed as there must be a point where you've seen everything you could see in the sport. Maybe.  

I can understand as a driver gets older, their pace stats increase to a certain level in the high 90's, peak at it and then they decrease. Same with other stats, but being near-perfect right off the bat seems like a stretch. 

Max is already at Lewis level in the game and ahead of Schumi and Senna. His stats should increase a little with races going by, particularly experience, so you could see him going to 96 OVR which then means he's the best driver the sport has ever seen. That will not go down well. 

The numbers seem arbitrary but I don't think there'll be any justification on who gets what, and why. 

• Agree 1
3 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Experience is the only stat I can understand being maxed as there must be a point where you've seen everything you could see in the sport. Maybe.  

Even this I don't like, Alonso at 99, in a new team, new car, with a new teammate, with rules changes and even bigger changes around the corner, he can't gain anything else from these experiences? Really?

I don't buy that. 

1 minute ago, KNT2011 said:

in a new team, new car, with a new teammate, with rules changes and even bigger changes around the corner, he can't gain anything else from these experiences? Really?

I don't buy that. 

But none of this has any effect in the F1 games.