Jump to content Jump to content

DiRT Rally Road Book - 21/08/15

justbiglee

Original post https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4969

Greetings people of DiRT, it is I Lee your friendly neighbourhood community manager and it must be Friday because it’s time for the DiRT Rally Road Book!

This week has been pretty hectic (though I seem to say that every week), the next update is almost ready to go, we’ve been looking forward to the rest of the year and pulling apart all of the feedback we’ve had since launch. OK so we know we do that a lot but this time it was a little different, we recently passed the half way mark for DiRT Rally and it was important for us to see how you guys felt we’re doing.

The other side of us taking stock of where we are was to find out what the next things are we need to look at. Since launch we’ve had more ideas from you than we could fill six games with, some have been trends of the week while others have been consistently high on the wishlist. It’s those things I’ve been busy collecting up to pass on to the team and we’ll have more info on which ideas made the latest cut soon.

Speaking of the team I’ll now hand you over to DiRT Chief Game Designer @Kick_Up for a look at what we’re working on right now.

Kick It With Kick_Up

Well, we are almost done with our v0.7 PvP Update and it’s looking good. There are some minor issues that have been picked up by our Community Testers that we will be looking to fix in the coming weeks but the overall package is pretty much there. The racing is going to be close and you’ll need to think fast when taking your jokers but it really has taken the FIA World RX content to the next level and we are confident that you will have a lot of fun racing against each other. We certainly have.

Elsewhere in the studio we’ve continued working on the up and coming Finland stages and they are really looking good. The co driver calls are in and their timing is being refined meaning that we can really attack every crest and jump. For stages to feel great you also need great cars and we have a pair of absolute legends lined up for the Flying Finland update. I know a few of you have been speculating as to what these are and we’ll let you know as soon as we can but having got hands on with them over the last few days I can say that they are very exciting.

Perhaps the most exciting thing about them is that they are being made using our latest vehicle tech. We’ve been working on this stuff in the background for a while now but these will be our first rally cars that will have the full suite of improvements. The plan is to layer these improvements into all the rally cars that have already been released. More on these updates to come but suffice to say it is going to be a significant step forward once we get these into the game.

Patch Me Up

I know we don’t normally do this but we wanted to give you the drop on some of the other things making it into the next patch, these aren’t live in the game yet and this isn’t the complete list so be sure to keep an eye out for the full patch notes when it goes live.

·         Clutch Override which will allow you to override the automatic clutch (allowing for clutch kicking)

·         Optimised Lydden Hill so that it’s not causing your PC to chug quite so much

·         Graphical improvements to Holjes, Wales and Pikes.

Screenshot of the Week

This week’s SoTW is from WRAITH1966 and we don’t usually share screenshots featuring mods but this one was just too good.

Tweets of the Week

This week we asked you to send us your advice for new DiRT Rally players, if you are new to DiRT Rally welcome to the team! Hopefully these pearls of wisdom from our veterans will be of use.

https://twitter.com/lynx009/status/634116220556587011

https://twitter.com/ZehGreek/status/634095232892694529

https://twitter.com/ConeDodger240/status/634095469392736256

https://twitter.com/98Welshman/status/634095808741285888

https://twitter.com/jerryhat/status/634096545462382600

https://twitter.com/KOPoole/status/634098904607379456

https://twitter.com/HarryML10/status/634115208693293057

Video of the Week

Marek did his best to match Ogiers on-board to some DiRT Rally gameplay and got it pretty spot on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2gEpdQsyQ

There you go another week of DiRT Rally done and hopefully with enough news to keep /u/deadstump entertained! Like I said keep an eye out next week for details on the next update and for the love of all that is holy make sure you watch this week’s round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship from Hell. You’ll find live stream info here and TV listing info here.

Be Brave.

So excited when you mentioned that you will be layering on improvements to all the rally cars, hopefully this involves making them all that little bit more unique in their characteristics (ie. cockpit dynamics, more working/interactive instrumentation, more unique sounds, maybe new upgrade models, etc).

Arguably, the rally cars are the co-stars of the spectacle that is rally. The stages themselves are the real stars IMO, but they're already awesome, so any improvements to the cars are most welcome :)
I'm feeling like a broken record here, but the force feedback still needs a lot of work. I've tested all the different feedback versions Codemasters have released and I'm now exclusively using the Impact v5.0 force feedback mod. I really hope something like this can be integrated into the game.

The other thing that really needs work is the difficulty curve. Starting out is way too punishing and the elite level is too much of a walk in the park. Once I started hitting 1st on the clubman difficulty the game just became too easy. I don't think it's that I improved a whole lot though.

I didn't hate the RX addon and it has added something to the game...but I'd easily lose it if it meant that NZ and Australia rally stages could be added to the game. Oh and staggered starts rally multiplayer.
bogani said:
mrsnipey said:
Does this mean you're only doing multiplayer for rally cross?
If so I think I'll be un-installing.

I really don't get this. Are yoy saying you want multiple cars on the rally stages at the same time?
I think he wants Staggered Starts so that you can do Rally in a Lobby aswell

Rally can be done in Multiplayer without the staggered starts. Let's just have simultaneous competition, with or without ghots (I'd prefer without) and we'd get very close to what competitors really see on rally stages.

If the devs implemented 10-15s gaps and lobbies for 8+ players then the waiting wouldn't be too long, but you'd definitely catch up to the guy front very often or drop back to impede the guy behind you.

On the other hand, if there were 1 minute gaps I'd pull my hair out due to the wait...

So the optimal solution in my view is a synchronous rally in MP where we'd compete against the stages and results we'd see at the end of each stage.

I have a feeling that once PvP for RX is out the devs will lay out the plans for future features. Many players have been asking for it and the devs are really listening to feedback.
Well lobby "multiplayer" rally should be quite easy for codies to do, it's miles away from the complexity of WRX. All they'd need to do is let us set up a lobby, then start a rally stage (no resets or retries), and let everyone present their times in the lobby afterwards. Don't even need to do staggered starts or anything of that sorts.

So I'd guess that something like that will come eventually since it's pretty easy to do. You could almost do it yourself right now by setting up a league event that has such a short timespan that you won't have time to restart or reset the stage.
I personally wouldnt have a problem with longer waiting times if there would be staggered starts, i mean DiRT Rally is a simulation game in a sense, so i guess waiting is something a real Rally Driver has to do aswell. 

@Dytut 
I know, but i feel being able to do the same stage at the exact same time with your friends is just  better then just setting times.
I personally wouldnt have a problem with longer waiting times if there would be staggered starts, i mean DiRT Rally is a simulation game in a sense, so i guess waiting is something a real Rally Driver has to do aswell. 

@Dytut 
I know, but i feel being able to do the same stage at the exact same time with your friends is just  better then just setting times.

Do you guys suffer from an over-abundance of free time.... ?

I'd rather get a set of 10 rally stages without having to sit around for 3 minutes before starting each stage...

It goes back to some players wanting to drive the road sections...

In my view the Multiplayer in Rally with cars on their own, without staggering team can work very well. Especially if the devs added a bit more info to results screen such as graphs showing progression of gaps between players or how positions changed.

If adding Staggered Starts in MP Rally means a dev needs to spend a week coding that (where will cars wait at the start line, how they ghost out as they meet on the stage), then please no.
bogani said:
mrsnipey said:

I really don't get this. Are yoy saying you want multiple cars on the rally stages at the same time?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.
Staggered starts would be no different than doing the daily challenge or a league race.

I would rather they concentrate on rally rather than rally cross. (that's my opinion)
I love *watching* rally cross, I just hate driving it. It's too short and you get knocked out of the race too easily.
If I play multi-player it will never be in rally cross, it would only be in a rally where everyone started at exactly
the same time like in the old dirt 3 days.

If the devs don't introduce multiplayer rally then unfortunately this isn't the game I am looking for.
Yes, it's great fun and I have improved heaps because of it, but there comes a time where doing the same track 5 times a
day gets boring and you need something else to push you. Like your bro who is hot on your tail. Or a complete stranger
that you can't quite catch. It keeps you interested and trying to improve.

Well.. like I said. Just set up a league, set up an event with one track that runs for exactly 6 minutes and then closes (so you can't reset/restart), and get a nice leaderboard straight after. Want a rematch? Just set up another event/stage.

Sure, something like that would be nice to have ready in game, but it's not like you can't organize something similar already. 
Dytut said:
Well.. like I said. Just set up a league, set up an event with one track that runs for exactly 6 minutes and then closes (so you can't reset/restart), and get a nice leaderboard straight after. Want a rematch? Just set up another event/stage.

Sure, something like that would be nice to have ready in game, but it's not like you can't organize something similar already. 
i think the minimum time for a online league event is 3 hours
mrsnipey said:
Staggered starts would be no different than doing the daily challenge or a league race.
They would be different. You could catch up to the next guy, if he's slow or the guy behind you could catch up to you, if they are faster. The fun part is trying to overtake someone on those narrow roads. Or seeing your friend in a ditch, when you pass him. Haven't you played DiRT3 rally multiplayer?
The most fun I have ever had in multiplayer rally was in Rallisport Challenge 2, where everyone was on the stage at the same time as ghost cars. I would love this in DR.

Everyone gets to run their own lines, no one gets held up, and your skills improve very quickly since you get to follow fast guys.

I did not particularly care for the staggered starts of DiRT 3, but it is better than no multiplayer.
bogani said:
mrsnipey said:

I think he wants Staggered Starts so that you can do Rally in a Lobby aswell

Rally can be done in Multiplayer without the staggered starts. Let's just have simultaneous competition, with or without ghots (I'd prefer without) and we'd get very close to what competitors really see on rally stages.

If the devs implemented 10-15s gaps and lobbies for 8+ players then the waiting wouldn't be too long, but you'd definitely catch up to the guy front very often or drop back to impede the guy behind you.

On the other hand, if there were 1 minute gaps I'd pull my hair out due to the wait...

So the optimal solution in my view is a synchronous rally in MP where we'd compete against the stages and results we'd see at the end of each stage.

I have a feeling that once PvP for RX is out the devs will lay out the plans for future features. Many players have been asking for it and the devs are really listening to feedback.
Staggered starts with real cars not ghosts needs to be implemented.  As far as the wait between cars going out on the stage, the host of the server should be able to set the gap whether they want 10 seconds or a minute should be up to them.  It would add so much to the game to have real staggered starts in multiplayer.  I really hope they do it.
enamel said:
The most fun I have ever had in multiplayer rally was in Rallisport Challenge 2, where everyone was on the stage at the same time as ghost cars. I would love this in DR.

Everyone gets to run their own lines, no one gets held up, and your skills improve very quickly since you get to follow fast guys.

I did not particularly care for the staggered starts of DiRT 3, but it is better than no multiplayer.
In DiRT3 you could choose either staggered starts with real cars or starting at the same time as ghosts.
enamel said:

^^THIS.  /Thread.
enamel said:

^^THIS.  /Thread.

Having the options of others cars being Ghosted would be a nice to have, but I personally would find find them very distracting when I'm trying to survive and keep up good pace.

@griev0r It's clear we've got a different opinion on this. If there are players who are willing to play like this then fair enough - from my point of view it's just a waste of free time for playing and replicating something which is quite rare in top class rally: being blocked by someone or being in the way of someone on a rally stage.

I guess we'll hear from devs on this subject one day - it's my suspicion that the MP for Rally will not have full suite of options, because the resources in the team and project are not vast.  If there's a budget to do Rally MP then I think it will be synchronous mode with On/Off for Ghosts. And that's how I personally would like to have it.
I think this is a very very important chat in PVP matter.

As you said, there are many options to create a rally PVP. The ideal for me is something like this:
- Possibility to create lobby where host selects tracks (stages), weather conditions, car class... etc.
- Possibility to setup the car in lobby previous racing.
- Possibility to kick people in lobby
- Chat box
- Vote to start racing (start batch of stages selected by host). Manually host start race.
- Everybody start at the same time with posibility of seeing live ghost cars or not.
- Once 1st cross finish line, a 2 minutes countdown starts to finish stage. Not finnishing in the time = DNF. People who finnished stage can switch view to remaining cars racing... or chat in box... etc...
- Results/resume panel after stages.

This has potential and can be really fun!
OzoreXS said:
- Everybody start at the same time with posibility of seeing live ghost cars or not.
Or better yet - have an option: simultaneous starts (with or without ghosts) - or - staggered starts. Just like in DiRT3
Same with the timer, once the first one finishes - have an option to set the time (again, just like in DiRT3)
Other than that, I totally agree

Archived