Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Want DiRT Rally To Be On Next-Gen Consoles?

Malyngo said:
This is the sort of thread that all the 'PC Master Race' d1ckheads make themselves known. 
This has nothing to do with being a "PC Master Race d***head".
I just don't care if the game is on consoles or not, because I will never have one. Just being honest here.

I could check the "love for everyone" answer, but where is the frelling point? I just don't care.
Because if you really want a future for DiRT Rally and its concept, for it not to be a glorious one-off that Codies will never make again, you'd want it to be as successful as possible, which includes on consoles where there is vastly more money to be made.

I voted "I dont care" but, to be more precise, "I would not mind" to see it on consoles.... ergo... I´m fine if its released in just 1 platform or both.

One thing is true: if CM decides to launch it on consoles = money money dineritos
More dineritos = better future games
Better games = better life experience
better life experience = happiness

... man, I just picked a bad answer... xD

ok men i ma
How about the:

"I play on PC but i dont want to see Dirt rally in consoles"

......to understand consol users how you feel when you miss a real  good racing game for your platform as PC users miss games like Gran Turismo ,  Forza Motorsport - Horizon , Drive club ..

Am i too bad..? :D :s >:)

\

Your not really missing anything in Gran Turismo.

How about the:

"I play on PC but i dont want to see Dirt rally in consoles"

......to understand consol users how you feel when you miss a real  good racing game for your platform as PC users miss games like Gran Turismo ,  Forza Motorsport - Horizon , Drive club ..

Am i too bad..? :D :s >:)

\

Your not really missing anything in Gran Turismo.
ok men i make fun , i dont actualy have any problem about Dirt rally to come in consoles, why not ...? but the true is that i miss a lot games like GT, Forza series for PC , for me they are the best racing games out there.. :(

Malyngo said:
I just don't care if the game is on consoles or not, because I will never have one. Just being honest here.
You SHOULD care though.

Without the additional profit that console sales will generate, you'll likely never have another great rally game either.
Those console users are your ticket to an ongoing series.

enamel said:
I want to see the game get the widest reach possible, and be successful enough to have lots of additional content made for it, and lead to a long line of authentic rally games.
Plus there are a few rally games coming out on the consoles and Codies needs to be there to win that battle! They easily could.

The ball is on Codies' court. But it'd be best for them to focus on the PCs for the EA period.

Also, care to make the voting options less biased please? Being a former avid console player before myself, it really sucked that I missed out on a lot of PC-exclusive games back then. I'm just leaving this up to the Codies (which I'm pretty sure they'll do anyway)

People who keep saying it's going to harm the PC version really don't seem to understand early access. There's not really any point in them starting in a console version until the PC version is finished/very nearly finished. And at which point, it won't have any affect at all. 

I I thought we had finished with this to be honest, but just for good measure, just because I play on a console, doesn't mean I want to play dirt showdown 2. I want to play Dirt Rally

People who keep saying it's going to harm the PC version really don't seem to understand early access. There's not really any point in them starting in a console version until the PC version is finished/very nearly finished. And at which point, it won't have any affect at all. 

That's simply not the case at all. It makes far more sense (as it did for Project CARS) to develop simultaneously if the intention is to release on console

Malyngo said:
NoOneNBA said:
Malyngo said:
You SHOULD care though.
As I said, the math is for Codies to do if a console version is reaping profits or not. If what you all assume, that a console version is a no brainer, then Codies WILL come to the same conclusion. But still I don't care if there is a console version. If it is a nobrainer, Codies will go that way anyway, if their math doesn't end up that way, then it wasn't a nobrainer after all, it seems.
Given some of the business decisions and comments from the higher-ups we've seen in recent times at Codemasters, the phrase 'out of touch' isn't exactly inappropriate. Or at the very least, extremely conservative.
If games companies always got their maths right, there would be no such thing as massive AAA flops or surprise hits.
All the math said Splatoon was going to be an absolute disaster for Nintendo, yet here we are now with about 2 million sales on an install base of only 10 million systems, a much bigger success than they, or anyone, ever imagined (it's more than double what DiRT3 has sold on Steam since its release)

No one is saying it's a no brainer, because it's actually a huge risk to bring DiRT Rally to consoles.
If it goes to consoles and failed, Codemasters will never make another racing game like it again.
Thing is, if it stays on PC, it'll never generate enough revenue to convince the people in charge of Codies that it's a concept worth revisiting either.
If that happens, we're the ones the lose out in the long run, regardless of our system of choice.
As customers and fans of this game, we have nothing to lose by a console release.
If its a success, we might get a more developed sequel with a bigger budget.
If it failed, well, nothing really changes over right now because the idea isn't going to survive on PC alone.

FrankTank said:

That's simply not the case at all. It makes far more sense (as it did for Project CARS) to develop simultaneously if the intention is to release on console
And it ended up a complete mess on the console filled with bugs and different handling between the PC Xbox and ps4. Code masters already said they're focused on PC for now anyway

I I thought we had finished with this to be honest, but just for good measure, just because I play on a console, doesn't mean I want to play dirt showdown 2. I want to play Dirt Rally
Agreed :)

FrankTank said:

Depends on the resources available, for some dev teams it would make far more sense to develop a single version and then hand it off to another team that specializes in porting, either internally or externally. This allows you to rapidly get the game play tight without incurring the overhead of keeping a working build on various platforms.

If you plan on a multi-platform release, then you are forced into parallel development of course. But the approach they are going gives the business far greater flexibility in how and when they allocate resources.

If the framerate is good on consoles then I wouldn't mind it.  But I remember trying the demo for DiRT 2 on a 360, ran at 30 fps and it was awful.

But if this would take time from developing more additions to the game(tracks) I say no.

If the framerate is good on consoles then I wouldn't mind it.  But I remember trying the demo for DiRT 2 on a 360, ran at 30 fps and it was awful.

But if this would take time from developing more additions to the game(tracks) I say no.
It's a console not a PC, most games on the 360 ran at 30 fps.

The really good ones ran at 60—Forza (the non-dudebro ones), Burnout (RIP).

I dont see why not. Dirt rally on consoles would just mean additional revenue and possibly more content for the game.

It is a win-win for everyone.

If anyone heard Absolute Rally radio show yesterday, it was very heavily hinted at that console versions will be announced in the not too distant future.

If not, it's a great show and you should check it out :P

If anyone heard Absolute Rally radio show yesterday, it was very heavily hinted at that console versions will be announced in the not too distant future.

If not, it's a great show and you should check it out :P
Thanks bro! :)

Hell, a lot of games run at 30 FPS on "next gen" consoles too, this latest generation of consoles is embarrassingly under powered.

But revenue from the console markets will increase the investment the game gets on all platforms, so bring on the console release!

Kind of. But there were still many games that ran at 60. As for car games, only Forza comes to mind.

Edit, and yeah. As above poster said, Burnout. Heck, Burnout 2 even ran at 60 fps on the gamecube. (as did F-Zero)

It's all about the trade-off between graphical fidelity and framerate on a fixed hardware spec.
Something that's not so much of an issue on PC because you can brute force things with outrageous hardware, or that newer hardware will come along to push older graphics to new heights.
When DiRT was first released on PC, a lot of people struggled to run it in the first place.

Let's not forget that a really good GPU like a GTX 980 Ti alone will set you back as much as, or more, than an Xbox One or PS4.
The graphical benefits of our PCs do come at a hefty price tag, though one we can potentially make up for in cheaper games.
Nevermind a Titan X or the people who have multiple GPU's running in SLI which is what you need for the likes of 4K gaming at 60fps+ (Some refuse anything less than 120fps and if you want to use a VR headset, anything less than a solid 90fps is likely to make you ill)
F-Zero X on the N64 was 60fps with 30 vehicles on track, but my, was it bland visually.
Waverace 64 on the other hand was 20fps and had to be letterboxed to reduce how much was being rendered. The real time water was mindblowing in its day though.

The Forza main series hits 60 on the X360, as does Gran Turismo 5 and, to a less consistent rate, Gran Turismo 6, but they made a number of visual sacrifices to achieve it such as little in the way of particle effects and using a lot of pre-baked track lighting. There's very little detail outside of the track boundaries and things like bodies of water were completely unanimated.
Forza also lacked any kind of weather.
Both Forza and Gran Tursimo drop to 30fps for replays.
The Call of Duty games hit 60fps on 7th gen console by using lower resolutions: 1024x600.
All in all, 30fps is something you can definitely get used to and is an acceptable minimum, even for todays standards, provided graphical detail is noticeably higher than 60fps games.
Codies games like DiRT3 and F1 definitely were.  
I'd never refuse to play a game because its 30fps. 60 is definitely nicer, and it's why I've invested more in PC the past couple of years, but whether or not its essential to the experience depends on the game.
After all, I like to replay Ocarina of Time every year or so, and that's only 20fps if I play the NTSC version on a PC emulator.
17 if I was to play the PAL version on my actual N64 or the virtual consoles (3DS remake is 30fps though).

BrySkye said:

All in all, 30fps is something you can definitely get used to and is an acceptable minimum, even for todays standards, provided graphical detail is noticeably higher than 60fps games.

You get used to it yes. But why should have to get "used" to something that runs in a worse state? so acceptable? No. Most games on PC can be played at 60 fps. Consoles should be up there as well. I know the production costs for the machines would increase but come on. The future is now.
Bloodborne is an excellent game for example. A solid 9/10. If the game ran at 60, it would be a 10/10 no doubt.

I don't play on consoles, but I care about sequels to and additional content for Dirt Rally and if Codemaster can make extra profit from consoles than that makes it much more likely.

There are other reasons why people choose consoles over PC's. I already have a desktop in my house, plus I have my own laptop for my uni work and personal use. I wasn't going to invest in another computer, plus I don't understand them at all, and no one I know plays on PC.
People shouldn't have to miss out on an awesome game for stupid reasons