Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Want DiRT Rally To Be On Next-Gen Consoles?

There are other reasons why people choose consoles over PC's. I already have a desktop in my house, plus I have my own laptop for my uni work and personal use. I wasn't going to invest in another computer, plus I don't understand them at all, and no one I know plays on PC.
People shouldn't have to miss out on an awesome game for stupid reasons
Thanks for the nice comment :)

There are other reasons why people choose consoles over PC's. I already have a desktop in my house, plus I have my own laptop for my uni work and personal use. I wasn't going to invest in another computer, plus I don't understand them at all, and no one I know plays on PC.
People shouldn't have to miss out on an awesome game for stupid reasons
WHAT HE SAID.

BrySkye said:
I'd never refuse to play a game because its 30fps. 60 is definitely nicer, and it's why I've invested more in PC the past couple of years, but whether or not its essential to the experience depends on the game.
If a game is on both platforms, it's really hard to go back to 30fps, after you've had the same game in 60+fps.
I tried to go back to the PS3 version of DiRT 2, to play with some old friends, and the experience was horrible.
For exclusives, it's not as big a deal because your choices are "don't play the game" or "play the game in 30fps".

BrySkye said:

All in all, 30fps is something you can definitely get used to and is an acceptable minimum, even for todays standards, provided graphical detail is noticeably higher than 60fps games.

You get used to it yes. But why should have to get "used" to something that runs in a worse state? so acceptable? No. Most games on PC can be played at 60 fps. Consoles should be up there as well. I know the production costs for the machines would increase but come on. The future is now.
Bloodborne is an excellent game for example. A solid 9/10. If the game ran at 60, it would be a 10/10 no doubt.
You're basically just talking about having your cake and eating it.
It's not just the production costs that would have to increase, it's the retail price as well. The Xbox One and PS4 were already being sold at a loss as it is. Sony especially has not been having a great time with its financials in recent years, so selling the PS4 with higher specs and and even greater loss just wasn't going to happen.
With the first major revision of the PS4 hardware just starting to make its way into the shops, we're only now starting to approach the point where hardware isn't being sold at a loss and possibly even a small profit.
You can get an XB1 or PS4 for less than £300 now.
Whereas a new PC right now that is going to be able to run the same games at the same graphical quality, but 1080p/60fps, is going to set you back something closer to £600 at the very least, even with buying the parts and building it yourself. Something beyond the average gamer.

Steam Machines were supposed to be the magical solution, but those have pretty much died on their arse when their prices exceeded their technical specs and, unlike a normal PC, the tight packing makes upgrading significantly more difficult.

PC's are great when they work, but the bane of your life when they start being temperamental, or when PC ports are outsourced to small studios with nowhere near enough time and budget. Just look at the botched PC releases of Mortal Kombat X, Batman Akrham Knight and even F1 2015.
We may have paid two or three times the prices of a console for our lovely PC's, yet here we are unable to play Batman.
Even one of the most botched console launches of the past year, and perhaps of all time, the Halo: Master Chief Collection, was in a much better state than those games.

Anyway, a consistent framerate is more important than a fast one. You'll have a much nicer experience with a rock solid 30fps than one that fluctuates between 40-60. GTA4 on PC was a prime example, that framerate was so unstable I used Nvidia Inspector to cap it at 30 myself.

NoOneNBA said:
BrySkye said:
I'd never refuse to play a game because its 30fps. 60 is definitely nicer, and it's why I've invested more in PC the past couple of years, but whether or not its essential to the experience depends on the game.
If a game is on both platforms, it's really hard to go back to 30fps, after you've had the same game in 60+fps.
I tried to go back to the PS3 version of DiRT 2, to play with some old friends, and the experience was horrible.
For exclusives, it's not as big a deal because your choices are "don't play the game" or "play the game in 30fps".
Of course it is. I said right there that 60 is a lot nicer. I had a hard time going back to Halo after playing a lot of CoD4 in 2007/8, but you'll get used to it and stop thinking about it after a few hours.
Then when you go back to a 60fps game you get that "Ohh, this is so niiice" feeling all over again. :smile: 

Whenever there's an article on gaming sites about WRC or SLRE, comments are instantly filled with "I hope Dirt Rally comes to console". People want this game. If console players didn't want a hardcore game like this, the Demon's/Dark Souls series would have been a failure. But it isn't. There's a market for the easy-access WRC/Dirt games, but there's also a big market for something hardcore, and let's face it, the hardcore rally genre just didn't exist since RBR over ten years ago. I want CM to bring Dirt Rally to consoles, because a lot of people will love it and ask for more. A lot of console players yearn for something that goes beyond the arcade stuff. One thing is that they should be able to enjoy this too. The other is that the more successful it is, the more money it earns, the more likely it is that management approves of it and that we'll get more of it.

NoOneNBA said:
BrySkye said:
Not all console games fun at 30fps though. A few of the newer racing games run at 60fps on PS4.

I don't see any problem with making DR for consoles so long as it doesn't come at the expense of the PC version.  We saw this happen with Pcars. Many of us suggested more realism and advanced features only to get the "can't be done due to console limitations" line again and again. Of course, it could have been done but, not as efficiently as designing for the lowest common denominator and sharing resources.

Having said that, DR already does varied surfaces better as well as the sounds. Controller support is good and getting better.  If making it for consoles helps to provide more content and features in the future, then that's great.