Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

No classic cars at all in F1 2021?

Only seemed to occur to me after all the additional news came out yesterday evening that, unless I’ve missed something somewhere, we’ve not heard any mention at all if there will be any classic cars at all in the new game. 

I’m sure Codemasters have the data on how popular the additional classic cars are and how worthwhile it is for them to keep incorporating them in the games. I’m sure some of the more older F1 fans appreciate them, myself included, and with a sport with such a rich history in motorsport it would be a huge shame if they were to be omitted again like F1 2014-2016.

Has anyone heard or read anything anywhere that mentions if they’ll be returning for F1 2021?  Part of me wonders if they plan to have a growing collection of cars that they can build upon going forward and make them DLC for the games and allow fans to pick and choose which extra ones they're interested in.  

Would be a shame if that was the route they took where they’ve been an additional part of the games every year since 2017.  Or, maybe Codemasters have intentionally omitted any info on them for now to save for closer to the games release? 

It's more likely that there's nothing new to be added than they've been removed. I'd be very surprised at that, 2014-2016 was a very unique time for the series, not the same as today. 

I've not heard anything but then I don't think we had this time last year. Current information release is going to be focused on what they think is most likely to generate interest and sales so I wouldn't personally read much into classic cars not having been mentioned.

Think I just found it a little odd that in the main press release information when they announced F1 2021 it mentioned things like the features carried over such as F2, MyTeam etc yet there was no mention at all about classic cars.  I guess there could still be time to clarify more additional information before the release date as well as keep the marketing hype going and get more and more fans interested in getting the new game over the coming weeks. I guess Codemasters do like to sometimes keep certain features quiet until the game comes out too, such as the driver transfers for F1 2019 which took everyone by surprise as an example.  

22 minutes ago, Involved In It said:

There are a few leaked images of a 2012 Ferrari that are claimed to be in the game. They were revealed around the leak of the game back in March.

Part of me does hope that leak was true and that the lack of any info is due to them waiting to announce something extra relating to them.  Maybe something relating to 2012 as Massa was also announced as one of the additional drivers for the game you can use in MyTeam.  

5 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

They removed classic cars every year. 

Very quick to look up that 2017 had 12 and 2020 had 16, but that's not what the OP is talking about anyway. 

As a random sidenote, I would pay a good amount for a DLC that went all out on one classic season with as many of the cars, liveries etc. as they'd be able to pull off, recreations of old tracks where possible and some filters for immersion, sound, commentary etc. A bit like PC2's Le Mans expansion but centering around a classic F1 season. 

If done well I'd probably even buy it as a standalone game. Rather that that the classic section we get, which can't really put a full race together and is more a curioso than a main feature. 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, mahmutcan0163 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it. Invitational Events and Classic champhionships were pretty fun, hope it stays.

Same here I do like driving the event in career or messing around with the Jordan 191 and other cars around spa in wet conditions.

Edited by Chromatic
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

Very quick to look up that 2017 had 12 and 2020 had 16, but that's not what the OP is talking about anyway. 

They removed all 70s cars from F1 2019, and in F1 2019 i think they removed the ferrari 2002 and 1995 from F1 2018. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any new classic cars or even no cars at all. I mean they have licenses and every licesne ends at some point. Nobody knows how long they have licenses for classic cars and whether they are even worth renewing these licenses.

I mean most players do 1-2 races with the classic cars, maybe even a season or so, but I don't know many players who deal with it intensively, 
But I can only speak for myself. If codemasters had the drivers and helmets in the game, I might play it more often. 
On the other hand, a race with 4 michael schumacher on the grid would also be kind of stupid imo.

Edited by FTBuzzard

Ah well, that confirms things I guess.  A huge shame but I had a slight hunch it could be the case. I did find it odd that there had been no mention of classic cars returning in the initial press release despite mentioning other features from last years game carrying over for F1 2021. Also makes sense as to why the Deluxe version of the game focuses solely on classic drivers and no extra classic cars as we had in the previous games from 2017-2020.   I hope they make a return in the not too distant future and hopefully on a larger and more meaningful scale, perhaps with a full classic season mode and meaning more cars from one particular season to make it feel more authentic and a more worthwhile addition to the game. 

6 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

perhaps with a full classic season mode and meaning more cars from one particular season to make it feel more authentic and a more worthwhile addition to the game. 

I'm very surprised at this news I have to say. Let's hope it is in preparation for something like the above, as I've noted, I'd pay for a full expansion like this no problem at all. IF it's just gone, gone forever, well that seems a massive shame. 

8 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

One other fact revealed in that article that I at least hadn't seen elsewhere is that the China track will be in the game despite not being on the 2021 race calendar.

What turned out to be one of my most loved features of 2020 is being able to first shorten the season, and thus have different races each season with tracks returning when I felt like it. Even better if they can hold onto tracks that aren't in the current season, I'd have loved them to kept Hockenheim, it would be a nice addition to our own fantasy calendars along wth being able, hopefully, to move the races around the calendar as we see fit. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

What turned out to be one of my most loved features of 2020 is being able to first shorten the season, and thus have different races each season with tracks returning when I felt like it. Even better if they can hold onto tracks that aren't in the current season, I'd have loved them to kept Hockenheim, it would be a nice addition to our own fantasy calendars along wth being able, hopefully, to move the races around the calendar as we see fit. 

I'd actually have liked Vietnam to have stayed too.

I suspect the reason China has stayed is because it was postponed and then cancelled quite late on in the game development, rather than as a long term switch to including tracks from past seasons. I'd love to be wrong on this though.

It's a shame about the classic cars being gone this year, although I'll be honest I haven't personally used them other than for one or two weekly events.

When they China is in the game I was under the impression that it was only part of the Braking Point story mode and won’t be available in other modes/career mode?  I guess if the track is in the game already for one mode then there’s surely no real reason why it couldn’t feature in other modes too. Just haven’t heard any clarification on how China will be featured in the game and to what extent unless I’ve missed something somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

When they China is in the game I was under the impression that it was only part of the Braking Point story mode and won’t be available in other modes/career mode?  I guess if the track is in the game already for one mode then there’s surely no real reason why it couldn’t feature in other modes too. Just haven’t heard any clarification on how China will be featured in the game and to what extent unless I’ve missed something somewhere. 

What makes you think China is in Braking Point? Not saying you're wrong, just that I haven't seen this yet. All I've seen is what's in the link above, which states, "We also retained China in the game, which isn’t part of the official 2021 calendar."

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

What makes you think China is in Braking Point? Not saying you're wrong, just that I haven't seen this yet. All I've seen is what's in the link above, which states, "We also retained China in the game, which isn’t part of the official 2021 calendar."

Yeah I can’t remember for sure where I heard it mentioned. Maybe one of Tom97’s videos from a few days ago. Could be wrong but I could have sworn he mentioned that they’d have a group chat with Lee Mather for the new game and he’d said China would feature in Braking Point but not in the career mode for the game. Still looking for more clarification on this though. 

Edited by stephensmattlee
Posted (edited)

It actually makes no sense to have classic drivers yet no classic cars or tracks as well. Can tell EA's logic is beginning to set in.

Edited by Chromatic
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1